R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Custom Exhaust on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 07:25 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Custom Exhaust on the way!

After much debate between purchasing a pre-fabbed exhaust from Scorpion/Supersprint/VCP or build my own I finally bit the bullet on a custom kit. I purchased a 2.5" 304 stainless builders kits with band clamps (will weld later when I'm totally sure I love the sound), 1-Vibrant 1141 ultra quiet resonator, 2-Magnaflow 11216 4x9 mufflers and the Scorpion exhausts front section (DP to to first cat). All in I'm at under $900. Will be a true full 2.5" straight-thru system front to back and all 304 stainless. Most of the pre-fabbed systems do not have a resonator (which I need for extended trips) and once I factored that into pricing, this ended up being the least expensive and will probably have the most mellow/deep sound based on my research. Even when a shop has to throw on a couple hangers I doubt they will charge me more than $50.

Pics and sounds as part arrive, should have it all fabed up by next weekend!

Attached Images      
Old 10-04-2017, 06:40 AM
r60CooperTrooper
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look forward to seeing this all together and hearing the sound!!

Old 10-04-2017, 06:47 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r60CooperTrooper
look forward to seeing this all together and hearing the sound!!
I'm just waiting on the front piece from Scorpion to get this all together! Hopefully by end of next week I'll have it. One thing to note so far, the magnaflow mufflers are not setup for a slip-fit system. You either have to butt weld or have the inlet expanded, which is what I'm doing.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 AM
r60CooperTrooper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cstrumol
I'm just waiting on the front piece from Scorpion to get this all together! Hopefully by end of next week I'll have it
very excited for you! are you putting it all on yourself? i just did a res/cat delete on mine and love it; but i'm super into the idea of getting a custom one done like this. probably happen in the spring for me, gotta pinch those pennies

Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r60CooperTrooper
very excited for you! are you putting it all on yourself? i just did a res/cat delete on mine and love it; but i'm super into the idea of getting a custom one done like this. probably happen in the spring for me, gotta pinch those pennies
Yes, I'm doing it myself with a shop just helping to weld the hangers on the mufflers and expand the muffler inlets for me. I've had the cat/res delete for a bit now and love it but it has a little drone on the highway. With a new turbo and meth on the way I need something that will breather a little better and sound a little deeper/quieter.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 AM
r60CooperTrooper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cstrumol
Yes, I'm doing it myself with a shop just helping to weld the hangers on the mufflers and expand the muffler inlets for me. I've had the cat/res delete for a bit now and love it but it has a little drone on the highway. With a new turbo and meth on the way I need something that will breather a little better and sound a little deeper/quieter.
man. its gonna sound mean

Old 10-18-2017, 07:52 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Time for a little update! Most of the hard stuff is done. Turns out 2 of the Magnaflow mufflers will not fit in the rear but 1 is doing just fine. This has evolved the project a bit. Now instead of the 2 mufflers I am doing the 1 exiting the passenger side and a wireless cutout exiting the drivers side (currently capped). I've also picked up some nice 4" rolled tips. Flange for the cutout should arriving today and hopefully installed by the weekend. Current impressions are quiet as stock with the vibrant ultraquiet and magnaflow. Open cutout should be mean! Electric for the cutout was run to my rear 12V outlet and hard wired.