R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Cooling after turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 03:26 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cooling after turn off?

I have a 2017 Countryman S which I love. I have owned 2004, 2008, and 2013 Mini S cars - and every one of those cars would run the radiator fan after turning off on a hot day. The fan would run for about a minute and then you could hear the ancillary water pump running for a few minutes (on the turbo cars) to cool the turbo. The 2017 doesn’t do that at all - and we have had some really hot days here in Vegas this summer. My motoring advisor told me it would run the fan if it was really hot but it has never happened so far. The engine definitely gets hot - hot enough to melt the protectant they used in the hood for the ocean shipping (I get melted “goo” running out of the hood down the front bumper - service says it will take a while to get it all out - causes no damage, easy to wipe off).

Anyone with the new BMW engine observed this behavior? It a very different engine than the older Prince motor, but this has surprised me. The temperature gauge shows normal at all times so I am not worried about overheating.

Comments?

David

Old 08-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
My 07 and 08 MCS would do that but my 15 CMS never did. I could hear the fan running and hear it run down as soon as I shut down the car but it never ran after shutdown and it was the same engine as my 07 and 08. I know yours is a completely different engine but just saying every car is different. As long as you can hear the fan running while the engine is running you should be ok.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 2017 Clubman S that's also silent on shutdown, even when arriving at a destination in 100+ degrees (central Texas). I've yet to hear a radiator fan or anything else in operation after engine-off.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:29 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is a completely different engine from the old Prince motors - and the difference is for the better! I just wish it had a little more HP when I step on it. I hear this motor can easily get up to 300HP - not asking for that, but more would be nice. Even the Works motor doesn't push very far.

The 2017 Countryman S is a lovely car - drives like a BMW but with some of the MINI character too. It easily runs at 75-80 on the freeway (and it got 34 MPG on a trip to Barstow on I15). Of course all the POS compacts (and even Prius's) were passing me on that trip. The road between LA and Vegas is crazy.

David

Old 08-21-2017, 06:12 PM
MiniJDB
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poor mans turbo timer...sit in the car for 1 minute and then shutoff.