R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 What happens next may make or break me for MINI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:35 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
What happens next may make or break me for MINI

I've been a (mostly) happy first-time MINI owner now for over six years, only issues apart from somewhat expected maintenance items and a handful of smaller repairs being the dreaded "reduced power" stalling engine problems, ignition coils and a replaced turbo, all covered by by some form of warranty. Biggest ticket items I've ever had to pay for completely out of pocket were replacing those evil run-flat tires every time one got a slow leak.

Last Thursday evening, while tooling around town, my stick suddenly felt like something broke loose and fishing around with it and the clutch I found I could only engage it in gears 3-6. Gates for R, 1 and 2 were completely unavailable and the acrid smell of a burning clutch along with smoke permeating into the cabin was almost too much to bear. Being only a few miles from home I limped the car along, having to rev up and baby the clutch to motivate it from stops in third gear, but I managed.

Arriving at home I called the closest dealer to see if service was still open. There was a slim chance I could make it there, being 7:00pm and the shop closing at 8:00pm but I decided against the 10 mile drive with my MINI being in its barely manageable condition with plenty of potential for stop and go in between.

I called MINI Roadside Assistance and found out the "new car" coverage had lapsed in March but I was almost certain that the extended warranty and maintenance (95k miles along, perilously close to the ceiling of the 100k aftermarket contracts) would cover the tow and whatever was wrong with my transmission. Local tow showed up much earlier than expected but still after service had closed so I opted to wait for the dealer shuttle to pick me up in the AM. Wasn't too difficult to push and turn the car backwards in neutral but was a little surprised it made it most of the way up the flatbed on its own.

Being my only vehicle and no chance of a loaner until service was open again at 7:00am I had to warn work (30 miles away and I usually wake at 5:00am) that I would definitely be late. Fortunately I was graciously offered the option to telework if I could. Shuttle showed up around 8:00am (friendly guy, told me I could stop in at the BMW dealer across from the MINI for a wash any time) and was amazed to see over 100k on his X5's odometer (I noted this to him and he said that the transmission had just been rebuilt).

I asked if they had a new Countryman or Clubman for a loaner but alas they did not -- I was even handed a black 2-door Hardtop this time, usually I get another Countryman, once I got a JCW Paceman and a 4-door Hardtop and a few times when there were no loaners available I was sent to Enterprise for alternative wheels. Ended up writing off the whole day for work since I didn't get home until 11:00am.

A call from my SA late that morning said they had looked my car and submitted it for a warranty claim (possibly shift linkage or flywheel?) but they had to wait on "the inspector" and that nothing would happen until Monday. Another update late afternoon Monday saying that the inspector was due to show up around 5:00pm. Most recent call Tuesday midday asking for authorization to repair the clutch, which was denied by the (ASE certified mechanic) inspector, NOT covered and is considered a normal wear item -- their estimated bill so far was $2,880.

How did they arrive at "the clutch" I asked and found out at that moment that even with "the inspector" looking at the car nothing invasive had been performed for diagnosis, their earlier suspicions were simply based on its symptoms. They had not even taken down the transmission yet and I had to verbally approve the work and accept the estimate for them to commence. If any additional problems were found they would submit a new claim for coverage but if it was indeed the clutch I would have to foot that bill.

No word from them at all yesterday. Not a peep.

Is this ALWAYS how things work??

Old 05-18-2017, 07:36 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
a clutch wont let you use only some of your gears..... either all work or none. I know of some bad stealership stories. and I agree the clutch is not typically covered under warranty unless its grenaded. its treated like brakes. but if they need to inspect the whole transmission under warranty, and once dropped it would only be an hour extra labor or two to swap the clutch, which you may want to do at 95k miles. but not if you need to pay for the whole labor job

Old 05-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Update call from SA -- up on the lift and transmission pulled, they're still sticking with replacing the clutch but with "heat marks" found on the flywheel so they're waiting to get claim approval (again, but could potentially reduce my bill to clutch parts) which may take until tomorrow.

I inquired for further explanation and he said that the lower gears put more stress on the clutch which is why I couldn't shift to them? Still not sold on that -- I couldn't even feel the gates.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Crazy Airborne
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keep us updated! sorry you are going through this!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
I lost my clutch at 46K. One clutch replacement covered under my extended maintence so no out of pocket. The fly wheel was also destroyed. My clutch was a rock when it popped and no way to get to any gear.

Hope it works out. The turbos in both of min went out within 500 miles of each other

Old 05-18-2017, 12:04 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Good News / Bad News ?

Inspector was there this morning and approved replacement of the flywheel and shift cables -- those parts are now on order.

Clutch is still being replaced out of pocket but they're only charging me for parts and the labor differential.

New grand total will be some $1100 which includes a $100 deductible -- makes me feel better but still not great.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Karrock, you got six years on the original clutch. I think that might be a record. Still hurts though.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Lots of posts on NAM regarding bad clutch on the early Countryman's. Have you read through those? They upgraded the clutch in later years because the early ones weren't cutting it.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Call this morning added another $150 for a battery to replace the original, bringing this adventure to a grand total of some $1300 and my Countryman is back in my hands.

Clutch feels so much lighter now but I don't remember if that how it was new? Also still detecting the scent of burning clutch, hopefully that doesn't keep lingering.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:12 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Glad you have it back. Scent of burning clutch will never be a perfume name.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
P.S. -- If the invoice is to be believed, my service plan saved me $3600.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:36 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
+1 on service plan, I have a had a flywheel/clutch and turbo on mine.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:50 PM
gchin
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have an 100k miles extended maintanence plan or 100k miles Platinum extended warranty?