R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Scheduled Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 08:33 AM
amxw
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Scheduled Maintenance

Hi all! Expert in not knowing cars here - need a little help with some basics of my 2014 Countryman!

My 3 year warranty is expiring next month, and I'm wondering if there's any sort of general schedule for maintenance (oil, etc) I can follow, so I can plan ahead. Something like every 6k miles?

I spoke to my maintenance man at the MINI dealership, but he said there was no general window of miles I can use, as the CBS in the car will tell me. Here's the problem: I am living 2.5 hours from my dealership at college for the next couple years, and I need to be able to plan ahead. I went in for my maintenance at around 8k and 11k miles already. Car is only at about 11k miles since June 2014 right now, so not used a ton!

Also, anyone have any idea what prices look like for maintenance of this sort? Once my 3 year warranty expires, I'm not going to renew, as there are so little miles I drive!

Thank you anyone who replies!! Happy motoring!

-Amy

Last edited by amxw; 05-14-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: to add name at end
Old 05-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I believe oil changes by MINI are every 10K or 1 year, so you might be owed one. 2.5 hour drive each way isn't worth it for just that however. With so few miles you might not have hit into any of the possible problem areas that crop up with more miles.

At three years if you haven't had coolant flush, brake fluid flush they should be done as well. Possibly cabin filter, air filter, wipers are due if not been done yet. Tire rotation should be done as well.

Low mile cars are harder to plan maintenance for and MINI CBS obscures the schedule and confuses a lot of folks.

Good luck with car, change oil more frequently especially if you are in a S model (every 5K).

Old 05-14-2017, 10:18 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
+1 Moocher Turbo's like clean oil.

My dealers send out regular specials on basic oil changes etc. Make sure you are signed up so you get them. I think it based on the dealer you are linked to in the mini online site. I kept getting GA mailings here in WI until I changed my dealer to the local one and then the switched.

Used to have to drive 2hrs the last three places I lived and it's not fun planning. I am spoiled now the dealer is only 10mins from my office.

Last edited by MIminiclubman; 05-14-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
A real good independent BMW/MINI shop may be much closer and more economical. They tend more towards diagnosing and fixing problems as opposed to dealerships just throwing new parts at it and hoping that takes care of it. Try this link: https://www.minirepairshops.com/
Just and example, here is the service schedule I follow:
Oil/filter/lube/rotate tires every 5K
Brake Fluid every 20K
Coolant every 30K
PCV vent valve every 30K
PS Fluid flush every 30K
Fuel Filter Change every 50K
Plugs every 40K
BG-44K every 6 mo.
When he's got it in the shop he has free reign to inspect and note anything else that may be coming up for service. It's also a great time to meet up with a buddy or two at the local brewery.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
BG-44K every 6 mo....
Hey Fly'n Brick, I'm running BG44K through the engine of my '08 R55 right now, but I only put 1/2 (5.5oz) of the can in the full tank of about 13 gallons. SHould I have put in the whole can into one tank? I couldn't find any answers, even through BG about this. I was worried about using too much all at once and so I thought I'd back to back it and use 5.5oz two tankfuls of gas in a row.

Thoughts?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dkdzyn
Hey Fly'n Brick, I'm running BG44K through the engine of my '08 R55 right now, but I only put 1/2 (5.5oz) of the can in the full tank of about 13 gallons. SHould I have put in the whole can into one tank? I couldn't find any answers, even through BG about this. I was worried about using too much all at once and so I thought I'd back to back it and use 5.5oz two tankfuls of gas in a row.Thoughts?
With that stuff, some is a lot better than none. I just dump the whole can in at the pump. I have to take a funnel and tube along though.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
With that stuff, some is a lot better than none. I just dump the whole can in at the pump. I have to take a funnel and tube along though.
Yeah, I pretty much was the same about it, but the can directions said 1 can (11oz) for up to 20 gallons of fuel and I'm like "that's almost twice what my fill-up is. Maybe I should cut the ratio?" But if you're dropping in a whole can for one tank of fuel in your Mini and it's been all cool, then maybe I'll just put the rest of the can in and go top my tank off.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2017, 07:58 AM
amxw
1st Gear
(leaving post here because I don't know how to delete )

Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 AM
amxw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I believe oil changes by MINI are every 10K or 1 year, so you might be owed one. 2.5 hour drive each way isn't worth it for just that however. With so few miles you might not have hit into any of the possible problem areas that crop up with more miles.

At three years if you haven't had coolant flush, brake fluid flush they should be done as well. Possibly cabin filter, air filter, wipers are due if not been done yet. Tire rotation should be done as well.

Low mile cars are harder to plan maintenance for and MINI CBS obscures the schedule and confuses a lot of folks.

Good luck with car, change oil more frequently especially if you are in a S model (every 5K).

Thank you!! Very helpful. Not an S model - just 2014 automatic countryman. Would you go by every 10k or so miles to take in for maintenance?

-Amy

Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 AM
amxw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
+1 Moocher Turbo's like clean oil.

My dealers send out regular specials on basic oil changes etc. Make sure you are signed up so you get them. I think it based on the dealer you are linked to in the mini online site. I kept getting GA mailings here in WI until I changed my dealer to the local one and then the switched.

Used to have to drive 2hrs the last three places I lived and it's not fun planning. I am spoiled now the dealer is only 10mins from my office.
I will look into that, thank you so much for replying!

-Amy

Old 05-15-2017, 08:39 AM
amxw
1st Gear
A real good independent BMW/MINI shop may be much closer and more economical. They tend more towards diagnosing and fixing problems as opposed to dealerships just throwing new parts at it and hoping that takes care of it. Try this link: https://www.minirepairshops.com/
Just and example, here is the service schedule I follow:
Oil/filter/lube/rotate tires every 5K
Brake Fluid every 20K
Coolant every 30K
PCV vent valve every 30K
PS Fluid flush every 30K
Fuel Filter Change every 50K
Plugs every 40K
BG-44K every 6 mo.
When he's got it in the shop he has free reign to inspect and note anything else that may be coming up for service. It's also a great time to meet up with a buddy or two at the local brewery.
That sounds like a good route to explore, thank you for replying! I'll see if any are near me.

Side note - what is BG-44K, do you put it in yourself?

-Amy

Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by amxw
-Amy
It is a fuel system cleaner type additive. I dump a can in the tank at the pump prior to filling. You'll need a long neck funnel of course. They have a wide range of excellent products. https://www.bgprod.com/

Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 AM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
That sounds like a good route to explore, thank you for replying! I'll see if any are near me.

-Amy
I'm trying it out too because I've heard nothing but good things about how well it does at keeping your intake clean, but the S engine is the sensitive one that has carbon buildup problems in the intake. If you have a non-S model, yours won't be as critical or finicky. Still,. all of their products receive rave reviews. I agree its worth checking them out.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Ingredients from MSDS of BG-44K
Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy
Stoddard solventSolvent naphtha (petroleum), light arom.
trimethylbenzeneethylbenzene

Almost all of these cleaner products are similar in content. BG charges enough to make it a nice profit center for dealerships.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 AM
amxw
1st Gear

Following up - I received my invoice for the maintenance I just had last week, and I didn't find the word "coolant" - but brakes, cabin filter, wiper replacement, and oil were dealt with. Anything I should do to follow up?

Thanks again!
-Amy

Old 05-16-2017, 07:50 AM
amxw
1st Gear
Ingredients from MSDS of BG-44K
Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy
Stoddard solventSolvent naphtha (petroleum), light arom.
trimethylbenzeneethylbenzene

Almost all of these cleaner products are similar in content. BG charges enough to make it a nice profit center for dealerships.
Interesting. So you put it in yourself every so often into the fuel tank?

Thanks!
-Amy

Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Following up - I received my invoice for the maintenance I just had last week, and I didn't find the word "coolant" - but brakes, cabin filter, wiper replacement, and oil were dealt with. Anything I should do to follow up?

Thanks again!
-Amy
Check with MINI, might be every 4 years, don't recall timing.

As to fuel additives, never found them to be helpful in my cars. Just use high quality gas.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 AM
amxw
1st Gear
Check with MINI, might be every 4 years, don't recall timing.

As to fuel additives, never found them to be helpful in my cars. Just use high quality gas.
Will do!

I use 89 (the middle one) - that's what my dealer suggested!

Thanks again!
-Amy

Old 05-17-2017, 09:53 AM
BlakeC
1st Gear
Will do!

I use 89 (the middle one) - that's what my dealer suggested!

Thanks again!
-Amy
89 is minimum. With 89, you may get some knocking at start (not harmful). "Minimum" is another way of saying "We recommend higher, but this will do." I always run 91-93, depending on the gas station.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM
amxw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlakeC
89 is minimum. With 89, you may get some knocking at start (not harmful). "Minimum" is another way of saying "We recommend higher, but this will do." I always run 91-93, depending on the gas station.
So I should be filling with the highest grade, yes?

Thanks,
Amy

Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 AM
BlakeC
1st Gear
So I should be filling with the highest grade, yes?

Thanks,
Amy
I would, yes.