R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Programming Used Key FOB

Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 PM
crucian007
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Programming Used Key FOB

Purchased a 2014 Countryman S with Comfort Access about 6 months back. Since it only came wth one key I figured I would just buy a used key online and then get it re-programmed. As of right now, i've purchased 2 keys (1 CA key and 1 non-CA key) from 2 different sources. I've been told by multiple independent key makers that you can't reprogram used keys, and then told by the dealer that THEY can't reprogram used keys.

So my question is:

1. Can used keys be programmed?
2. If not, then why are people (on this site) advertising used keys for sale that can be easily programmed?

Old 03-30-2017, 06:42 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
1. Not for your car. Some of the older versions were 'programmable' but not the 2nd Gen ones.
2. Because they want your money..... and apparently got it.

Last edited by mikey_t; 03-30-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:33 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
mikey_t is correct. The remote control boards on the first generation, two and three button keys can be reprogrammed to a different car. Two button remotes require computer coding, three button remotes can be "paired" to the car with a series of button pushes. Beyond that, there is the blade which would need to be replaced and cut to your car and the EWS/Immobilizer chip, which would need to be created to allow the car to start. There are three distinct parts to a MINI remote key.

The best thing to do is just to save up some $$$ and get a key from MINI. Yes, it's expensive but it's the only real place to get a key for your MINI that will work properly.

If anybody is advertising that a used MINI key can be easily re-programmed they are lying. They just want your money; most keys hawked on eBay for example come with the disclaimer that you need to do the research to make sure the key can be re-programmed. It's how they get away with selling them and putting the responsibility on you for the programming. Perhaps it's easier with other makes of cars and they don't know any better.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM
crucian007
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks so much guys. Now I know for sure, instead of running around trying to find somebody to program them.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valvashon
mikey_t is correct. The remote control boards on the first generation, two and three button keys can be reprogrammed to a different car. Two button remotes require computer coding, three button remotes can be "paired" to the car with a series of button pushes. Beyond that, there is the blade which would need to be replaced and cut to your car and the EWS/Immobilizer chip, which would need to be created to allow the car to start. There are three distinct parts to a MINI remote key.

The best thing to do is just to save up some $$$ and get a key from MINI. Yes, it's expensive but it's the only real place to get a key for your MINI that will work properly.

If anybody is advertising that a used MINI key can be easily re-programmed they are lying. They just want your money; most keys hawked on eBay for example come with the disclaimer that you need to do the research to make sure the key can be re-programmed. It's how they get away with selling them and putting the responsibility on you for the programming. Perhaps it's easier with other makes of cars and they don't know any better.
I paid the big bucks and got a new key from Mini dealer and it starts the car, but none of the buttons function.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Thumper Simpson
I paid the big bucks and got a new key from Mini dealer and it starts the car, but none of the buttons function.
So take it back and ask them to do it properly.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:11 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
It could be your car, not the key. I replied to your post in the other thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4295350

Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikey_t
So take it back and ask them to do it properly.
Drive three hundred miles to program a key? Nah! Did it myself in less than a minute.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
But I still need a dead key to scavenge parts from to fix my original key

Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Drive three hundred miles to program a key? Nah! Did it myself in less than a minute.
What you aren't telling anyone here in the Countryman/Paceman forum is that you have a 1st generation key fob from a 2005 vehicle. We've already acknowledged that those keys can be reprogrammed. This thread is about the 2nd generation key fobs that cannot be reprogrammed.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
But I still need a dead key to scavenge parts from to fix my original key
GL with that....and please refrain from trolling threads with non-essential / off topic information.

Thanks!

Search this Thread