R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 MiniUSA.COM Build It

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:35 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MiniUSA.COM Build It

I'm planning to buy a new 2017 Countryman S and have been using the "Build" function on the MINIUSA web site. One thing that has been driving me nuts is the inaccurate body colors shown in this application. Particularly for Island Blue which doesn't look at all like the car color in person. On the WEB it looks closer to the Electric Blue available on other models. My dealer (Mini of Las Vegas) showed me a car with this color - and it is very different. Reds, Blacks, Whites and Silver/Grey look pretty accurate but the dark blue and green (and the Island Blue) are not shown accurately. I realize there is a lot of variation in color accuracy across browsers - but I have been using a MacBook Pro with Retina display (and an iPad Pro with expanded color gamut) for my browsing - and they both have this problem.

The other issue I have run into is that Mini doesn't have a black border for the colors shown in the color picker. I wanted a White roof and could see no option to select White - it exists, but blends into the page background so you can't see it - at least in my Safari browser. The dealer, of course, had several cars with White roofs. (Safari in the iPad Pro does make this a bit more visible.)

Finally, I wonder if anyone has been able to get the build application to actually save the selections and email a copy - it refuses to do anything for me. I've tried both Safari and Chrome - and it doesn't work in either.

There are so many options and complicated interactions that the build application is very handy - but it definitely has some limitations!

(I'm waiting for a 2017 Island Blue Mini S Fully Loaded Countryman to arrive at the dealer - it was supposed to have been delivered three days ago - seems to be lost on the truck from Oxnard! I think the truck driver stopped at Primm (just across the border in Nevada) - hope he hasn't gambled away the cars! My main problem is my wife thinks it is too big - she loves the smaller hardtops.

David

Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both the USA and Canadian websites have their share of problems. They are both nigh impossible to use on an iPad, mobile phone or other tablet. On the Canadian site, I am able to save my selections and download a .pdf copy of the vehicle I have built which I can then email or print. I use Chrome on my Macbook pro.

Many of the little "i" icons beside the options yield absolutely no additional information about the specified option which is quite disappointing; Canadian build site issue. Also I agree that the colours are horrible but I expect this is the same with most car manufacturer websites-you always need to see the colour in person in order to make a decision. I hope your Countryman arrives soon! Good luck!

Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Not certain about the build "save" function as don't think ever used it, however, the local salesperson advised not to email it. He is not certain where it goes. Suggested saving as pdf and email as attachment directly and/or printing hard copy and bring in. At least, that is what I did.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:53 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Problem With Email Address

I got the Save function to work on my iPhone. It seems the problem was MiniUSA didn't like my (Apple) me.com email address! I changed to a backup email address in outlook.com, and everything worked fine. Seems very strange - me.com is a standard IMAP email system.

David