R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 30k Service 2013 Countryman S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:42 PM
elmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30k Service 2013 Countryman S?

A little confused on what needs to be done.
Mini service department says to bring it in and they will scan the car.

I am a diy type person and would like to do as much as I can and save money in the process.

1 website recommended these:

RECOMMENDED SERVICES:
Engine oil (Change)
Automatic transmission fluid (Change)
Transmission (Check for leaks)
Power steering (Check for leaks)
Power steering fluid (Check level)
Warning lights (Check operation)
Lights & accessories (Check operation)
Brake fluid (Flush/replace)
Parking brake (Inspect/adjust)
Road test (Perform)
Cabin air filter (Replace)
Oil filter (Replace)
Service reminder light (Reset)
Wheels & tires (Rotate/adjust air pressure)

Thank you.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by elmini
RECOMMENDED SERVICES:
Engine oil (Change) Every 5K

Automatic transmission fluid (Change) Too soon IMO

Transmission (Check for leaks)

Power steering (Check for leaks) Nothing to leak, electronic

Power steering fluid (Check level) Nothing to leak, electronic

Warning lights (Check operation) Duh

Lights & accessories (Check operation) Duh again

Brake fluid (Flush/replace) Every 2 years I think

Parking brake (Inspect/adjust) Duh

Road test (Perform) Sure

Cabin air filter (Replace) I do this and Wipers every year, same time

Oil filter (Replace) Obvious with Oil

Service reminder light (Reset) Come on

Wheels & tires (Rotate/adjust air pressure) Every 5K ?

Thank you.
Answered above to the best of my abilities. I'd go let them read the key, tell you what they want to do and then let them do anything you can't, otherwise head home. Obviously a lot depends on what has been done over the last few years.

Coolant flush every 2 years again testing my memory.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:07 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Do a 2.5 qt drain/fill of the auto tranny every 10k. Dont wait till 50k+ to start. Every other oil change, do everything from the bottom, quick and easy. Use synthetic, royal purple etc, not stock fluid.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:09 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
When the dealer says they are going to scan the car they just mean read the key data. The only maint items it shows what you see in the Tach display:

Oil change
Front or Rear brake pads
Inspection 1 or 2 service
brake fluid change
spark plug service

So if you don't have anything popping up in the tach display when you start the car they likely won't be able to do any service under warranty for you.
Dealers often have automated systems that send these request out to customers with the idea of selling you other service or parts.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM
max2105
1st Gear
I would not replace the transmission fluid with Royal Purple until the warranty expires because in the rare case that you should have a transmission problem, they'll know you replace it due to the different fluid color.
I replaced 2+ quarts using Valvoline Max life synthetic fluid (same color as stock) at 42K miles. The original fluid was dark red, not black yet. The transmission was shifting perfectly fine; just did it as a preventive measure.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
brake fluid and oil change are very easy. brake fluid is a bit more involvled, but easy.... as for checking brake pads that's actually required by a few state inspections. I know mine has thatand typically you wont need pads until the light comes on, and even if the light comes on you usually have 1/2 the pad life left or atleaste a 1/3. the other things to check are easy.... lights wow

but tranny fluid, if your not comfortable being under the car, I would get this done

Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by max2105
I would not replace the transmission fluid with Royal Purple until the warranty expires because in the rare case that you should have a transmission problem, they'll know you replace it due to the different fluid color.
I replaced 2+ quarts using Valvoline Max life synthetic fluid (same color as stock) at 42K miles. The original fluid was dark red, not black yet. The transmission was shifting perfectly fine; just did it as a preventive measure.
Good point. But what are the odds of the tranny failing while under warranty especially when we're changing it more than "never"? you think they'd notice at most 3 qts in there after its all mixed? Hmm, maybe. But they'd have to prove royal purple caused the problem as it meets the spec for fluid

Old 03-22-2017, 06:52 AM
max2105
1st Gear
Sure but why even risk it? I use Valvoline Max Life in all my vehicles (Mercedes, Land Rover, Chevy, Mini) with great results. Makes it simple to keep just one ATF in my garage. It is an inexpensive very high quality synthetic fluid that happens to have the same red color as the Mini's original fluid.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:21 PM
yesti
5th Gear
I'm just a purple junkie haha. Point valid and taken.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by max2105
Sure but why even risk it? I use Valvoline Max Life in all my vehicles (Mercedes, Land Rover, Chevy, Mini) with great results. Makes it simple to keep just one ATF in my garage. It is an inexpensive very high quality synthetic fluid that happens to have the same red color as the Mini's original fluid.
Just did a drain fill with royal purple max atf and it is ruby red, not purple like the engine oil.

The following users liked this post:
iwashmycar (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:17 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by yesti
Just did a drain fill with royal purple max atf and it is ruby red, not purple like the engine oil.
Did you need any special fitting for refilling the trans? I thought I saw that in another thread... something that screwed on...like an angled tube.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:24 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Did you need any special fitting for refilling the trans? I thought I saw that in another thread... something that screwed on...like an angled tube.
fill from the bottom using an ATF 105. its a black metal tube that screws into the drain hole. you need a fluid pump also. remove drain plug let drain, remove standpipe let drain more, when done draining measure what came out and at what temperature (room temp is easiest), install standpipe, refill with same amount at same temperature, maybe put in a little more since you'll have some spillage as you remove ATF 105, install drain plug.

The following users liked this post:
iwashmycar (06-30-2017)