R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 2017 Mini Countryman: The Big Mini Gets Bigger

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 05:35 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 Mini Countryman: The Big Mini Gets Bigger

Finally, the CM is replacing the N18 Peugeot engine with a BMW engine used in the Clubman.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

Old 02-07-2017, 02:27 PM
slaney
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Countryman is a bloated pig

I can't believe Mini turned what was a nice SUV compromise into a bloated pig. My 2013 Countryman S will be my last Mini...

Old 02-08-2017, 05:17 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by slaney
I can't believe Mini turned what was a nice SUV compromise into a bloated pig. My 2013 Countryman S will be my last Mini...
Curious what you'd buy instead? You know, the F60 Countryman is about the length of a CX-3, and pretty much shorter than everything else called "Crossover." It's shorter than a Mazda 3 hatch, for example.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:07 AM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
On the other hand, I am thrilled that MINI turned a fairly austere "premium" vehicle into what I consider an actual premium vehicle with more utility than before.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 AM
slaney
1st Gear
I bought the 2013 Countryman Cooper S specifically for its size. It was just big enough to be way more functional than my previous 2-door hardtop. I've come to really appreciate the size even when I have to clean it out more often after collecting stuff in it for a few weeks. I have no desire for anything larger and the hardtop is still too small until my kid gets his own vehicle. That said, I really hated that it handled like the bigger car that is in comparison to the hardtop. I've recently ripped out the entire OEM suspension (at 56k miles) and replaced it with a track set of Megan Racing coilovers which has turned it into an entirely different vehicle, for the better! They're set in the middle of their damping firmness. This and a bigger sway bar, strut tower brace, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport's (non-RF). Lowered it 3/4" as well. It is much more nimble, flat and compliant than the stock suspension. It has become a phenomenal handler with these changes and doesn't beat me to pieces over rougher roads like the stock setup! The suspension is so good now that the car feels underpowered even with the S engine... The build quality has always been an issue. I have a rattle in the passenger front door that loves to annoy.
That said, I hate that they succumbed to American tastes for bigger and bigger... I'll drive this for another few years while I'm saving up for a BMW M2! There's just no other performance SUV's out there that I like with a stick, giant sunroof, etc. The new Countryman just doesn't fit the bill anymore.

Last edited by slaney; 02-08-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: revised
Old 02-09-2017, 11:35 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the 2013 Countryman Cooper S specifically for its size. It was just big enough to be way more functional than my previous 2-door hardtop. I've come to really appreciate the size even when I have to clean it out more often after collecting stuff in it for a few weeks. I have no desire for anything larger and the hardtop is still too small until my kid gets his own vehicle. That said, I really hated that it handled like the bigger car that is in comparison to the hardtop. I've recently ripped out the entire OEM suspension (at 56k miles) and replaced it with a track set of Megan Racing coilovers which has turned it into an entirely different vehicle, for the better! They're set in the middle of their damping firmness. This and a bigger sway bar, strut tower brace, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport's (non-RF). Lowered it 3/4" as well. It is much more nimble, flat and compliant than the stock suspension. It has become a phenomenal handler with these changes and doesn't beat me to pieces over rougher roads like the stock setup! The suspension is so good now that the car feels underpowered even with the S engine... The build quality has always been an issue. I have a rattle in the passenger front door that loves to annoy.
That said, I hate that they succumbed to American tastes for bigger and bigger... I'll drive this for another few years while I'm saving up for a BMW M2! There's just no other performance SUV's out there that I like with a stick, giant sunroof, etc. The new Countryman just doesn't fit the bill anymore.

Seems like a 4-door hardtop or Clubman might fit the bill.

I get that enthusiasts on forums hate when these cars move away from their tastes, but I get that they need to make what sells. There's a ton more competition these days in the premium compact SUV market, and it is pretty hard to put up the old Countryman against the X1, Q3, et al., even though the price of entry is pretty similar. It seems like MINI needed to go either bigger & upmarket or keep closer to the existing model but have a Justa start around $20K and an S All4 closer to $25K to keep some price buffer between that and the luxury market.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:27 AM
popsrcr
2nd Gear
Yeah, but they're making it like all the rest? How does that help? I liked the smaller size over other things I would look at. If I wanted to replace with a newer model, I would be cross shopping many other cars...that would probably cost me less to maintain.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Then why not look at a 4 dr hardtop or Clubman?

Old 02-10-2017, 12:58 PM
popsrcr
2nd Gear
For me, personal taste. I dislike sedans and most wagons. The design of small SUVs, in general, is more appealing to me. This fit the bill.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:11 AM
Nashvillejcw
2nd Gear
when i bought my 16 contryman i was just looking for a good affordable lease since i sold my 2010 Cooper JCW. they were liquidating the 16's to make room for 17's and it was crazy affordable. i acutally really like the countryman now. some people are just too picky with cars and need to relax.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 PM
bmwloco
1st Gear
I definitely get it. My 2004 Audi TT Quattro Coupe is my last Audi TT. Why? No manual transmission. I like shifting, I feel more control, and floppy paddles? Maybe in the future, but not now. With 85k on the clock, I'll keep replacing the rubber band and H20 pump at 60k intervals and if I am really nice...

...maybe my wife will let me drive her Countryman All4

Old 02-18-2017, 01:10 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We just picked up an R60. I think this new one is too serious looking. It's lost it's cheeky charm IMHO.

I am envious of the ACC and HUD that it gets though.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:52 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikey_t
Then why not look at a 4 dr hardtop or Clubman?
I am happy to say my 2017 Countryman will come out of production tomorrow...then the wait continues as it transports to port, ships across the Atlantic, then processed and delivered on this side. Why did I choose this vs the Clubman and others on the short list? As VW is buying back my Passat TDI, I tried and even rented various vehicles, and it dawned on me I didn't want another low sitting sedan like the Passat that use the door to climb out. That ruled out the Clubman as, like the Passat, is 17" off ground where my wife's Fiat 500 (of all cars) is a sit over height of 22" which is nice! Viewing the Countryman at the local dealer's 'unveiling' was 21.5" (Jeep GC and Ford Edge were 25" but way too bloated). Additionally, the Countryman rear seat, like the Clubman, was very generous 51" across (Passat 53" for reference) so would accommodate 2 adults and car seat in middle. That is where the Ford C-Max was eliminated, 48" at front edge but drops bolstering and reduces to 46" to accommodate a seatback adj handle and the area without bolstering, tend to roll onto the seat edge. Ford Escape had the same seats...but otherwise was impressed with the performance of the C-Max. That left the BMW X1 but had a personal preference/bias for the Mini. With a deal I could get on the BMW, they were in the same price range but the Mini was far better equipted for essentially the same chassis and drivetrain.

Day after the 'unveiling' party at the dealership, ordered a Countryman S, Chestnut with black top, leather, Technology, JCW interior, and Premium Package with expected delivery mid April, but appears ahead of schedule. Appointment with VW for buyback March 29th. The only possible delay might be a temporary delay if Mini establishes an official release date, as dealer inventory orders are in the same production. Time will tell, but thus far no official delay.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Congrats tizeye! Sounds like a very nice F60.

My F60 is a day away from docking and getting unloaded in NY. Perhaps another week and it will be delivery day!

Old 02-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I got an email from Mini saying they were offering a $1,000 credit if you pre-order one.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I got an email that 2016s were $6k off msrp, obviously to make room.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:25 PM
keithgra92
Neutral
bike rack for new countryman

not sure if this is the proper spot to post this, but I recently totaled my 12' countryman all4 and I am supremely bummed to learn that the wicked bike rack I had on the back (and my roof rack) will not work with the new countryman i just ordered... anyone know if they make the rear bike rack for the new model? (there are no holes in the bumper to screw it in...)
thanks in advance... this is what I had...

Old 03-16-2017, 03:37 PM
bmwloco
1st Gear
Sorry to hear about the accident; hope you are o.k.

My wife just picked up a 2011... any chance you would like to sell the rear rack?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:56 PM
tizeye
2nd Gear
@keithgrad2 - sorry to hear of your loss. While mine was "produced" 2/23, the owner's tracking just upgraded the status from "production" to "transporting to port" yesterday. Hoping they load it on the next ship for Brunswick this Saturday, they 18th to arrive April 2. It takes so long!

While I have always had a hitch rack for my bikes on previous vehicles, resisting the roof racks for several reasons. (Nice looking pair of Bianchi but that rear hub throws me). Right now we are in a state of limbo on racks waiting for 3rd partys to support the 2017. Doubt if your current Thule crossbar will work with the 2017 rails as Thule doesn't doesn't list anything, but a decent photo of a stock crossbar is in the "F60 Delivery and Photos" thread. Perhaps close examination will help, and also determine if the shape of the stock crossbars will allow attaching the bike mount platforms, as I know Thule has 2 crossbar designs.
In terms of the rear bike rack, it does not appear that the 2017 will support the 'hole in bumper' system and will probably have to go to the more traditional hitch. Again, no manufacturers, such as hidden hitch or curt, have released a model for the 2017. The good news is, both the Clubman and BMW X1 which are built on the same chassis platform have hitches (not interchangable) designed for them by 3rd parties, so suspect just a matter of time.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:10 PM
keithgra92
Neutral
thanks guys. yes the rear rack and top cross bars will be for sale... once I receive the new car... feel free to call or txt me at 973 727 1184, I work in Bernardsville, NJ... not sure where you are located...
Thanks,
Keith

Old 03-16-2017, 06:05 PM
bmwloco
1st Gear
North Carolina here. My wife is a bit "height challenged" a 5' 4". We were looking at the same rear bumper hitch and bike rack. When would be the best time to call?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:19 PM
keithgra92
Neutral
I'm available now til 10ish, then tomorrow, 8-10 and then after 6. I only used it once last year, after which I unscrewed it and hung it on the wall in the garage...

Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 PM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by keithgra92
thanks guys. yes the rear rack and top cross bars will be for sale... once I receive the new car... feel free to call or txt me at 973 727 1184, I work in Bernardsville, NJ... not sure where you are located...
Thanks,
Keith
You might get lucky on the top crossbar, so definitely wait until the new car arrives. The rail on the 2017 is more elevated from the car, much like the Mercedes in your picture. Suspect Thule can't list because like most everybody else, they haven't had a model to see what will fit. At worse, may just need to get new feet.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:38 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
On the other hand, I am thrilled that MINI turned a fairly austere "premium" vehicle into what I consider an actual premium vehicle with more utility than before.
This. All of this.

The Countryman is now a vehicle that people can seriously consider for their small families again. The original Countryman was simply too small, too noisy, too rough, and too unrefined. It was awesome in 2012, but it's now 2017, and a lot of other vehicles are being chosen by customers instead.

You can't make everyone happy, though.

FWIW, I'd totally buy a new Countryman or Clubman and I'm as much of a MINI purist as anyone. All of the new models are great - the interiors are excellent, engines are great. About the only thing I really wish for is just a bit more freedom from the powers that be at BMW to make these cars perform as they should (the hardtops need to be a bit more fun, and the JCW models need more power).

We're still the fun brand, but we need to keep up with the times. Building cars that a shrinking percentage of people want is no path to success.

Also - Keith, great to see you on here! Sadly, there will be no rear-mounted bike rack from MINI on the new Countryman. I'm as disappointed to see that go away as you are.