R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 2nd self-adjusting clutch in 60,000 miles and warranty

Old 06-02-2016, 04:11 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
2nd clutch in 60,000 miles and warranty

I just received my second clutch yesterday after 15,000 miles (first was replaced at 44,000 miles)! I learned that the OEM clutch operates with self-adjusting mechanism that will adjust when the clutch pedal is not released fully. Think back to the days of replacing those old drum brakes on a Chevy or Ford--with that self-adjusting dial that spread the brakes when the brakes get worn out. The intent is exactly the same with the MINI's self adjusting clutch.

So here is my problem, I commute to work daily on a two lane interstate over a mountain--an 8 miles up and over. Every few months, or so, when the fog at the top gets thick, some idiot spins out or a tractor trailer truck breaks down causing miles long back up. Often I can get off the interstate but if I pass the last exit before the backup I am stuck. As a result I end up in a climb in stop and go traffic on a mountain grade (I am talking about if stop I will roll backwards). During this stop and go my clutch self adjusts (expands only one direction) as I move up a few spaces as the traffic crawls along--as a result the clutch begin to be off centered. This self adjusting happens when I do not fully release the clutch pedal, the clutch thinks it needs adjusting. The MINI shop manager says it can also be caused from driving with foot on the clutch--which I do not do. I now learned I NEED to allow my self more car lengths in front of me before I try moving ahead, the result should allow my clutch pedal to be fully let out (instead of sort of riding it half way out to move a one or two car lengths.) As a result, the pressure plate begins to burn as only one side of the clutch is really engaged. Which accounted for my chattering and soft feeling from my clutch. My clutch had burn marks on one side and the other side was like new.

I see that BavAuto sells a clutch kit without the self-adjusting and swaps the dual mass for a single mass flywheel. The catch is it is only for the Cooper, not the CM. Also ESC Tuning only sells OEM dual mass clutches with the self adjusting clutch. So here is my question, does anyone know of an aftermarket clutch for CM without the self-adjusting feature??? I assume racing clutches would be what I am seeking.

I should mention the first flywheel and clutch at 44,000 miles was covered under was warranty (flywheel covered with original 50,000 warranty and clutch covered with 100,000 mile extended maintenance warranty). The second clutch they would not cover under my 100,000 maintenance warranty since they said it is limited to one!!!!!! Based on normal operating time intervals. Who knew?

Last edited by TJANK; 06-03-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:07 AM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Our 2012 All4 S goes into the shop tomorrow for clutch/transmission issues. Not much stop and go traffic, but several times this week after sitting at a traffic light in neutral I could not shift into any gear and the clutch pedal felt spongy. What were your symptoms to know your clutch needed replacement? Was it just slipping?

Old 08-08-2016, 04:31 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
My first clutch, I repeatedly stopped by my Mini Service Adviser and they kept saying it was not issue, but finally at 44,000 miles they felt the same chattering at first gear.
My second clutch, it was difficult starting from a stop, as the clutch felt soft and not fully engaging.

The MA said clutches start to go at 60,000 miles.

Search this Thread