R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Official Whalen Shift Machine (Knob) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official Whalen Shift Machine (****) Thread

I've been away from MINI for about 4 years, but I'm thrilled to say that I'm finally back - this time in a Countryman! I was a bit surprised that I haven't seen much talk or pictures of what was one of my favorite MINI mods - the Whalen Shift Machine. So I thought I'd start an Official Whalen Shift Machine Thread for Countryman Owners.

Here is my Whalen **** - I'm calling it JCW red because it matches the JCW Design Package I'll try to take some better photo's, but I'm absolutely loving it and had to share.

Let's see yours!

Name:  9f356fdf.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  80.0 KB

Last edited by liveSTRONG; 04-12-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
worrynot
1st Gear
liveSTRONG,

Thanks for posting, never heard of Whalen, looking around their site, if I was to change mine out I would go with on of the following:

However at this point I think I still like the OEM ****, but I'll bookmark the site in my MINI folder bookmark folder.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I'm using my old one from my R53. Cravenspeed sent me an adapter when I ordered my short shifter to make it fit. I love it. I think the stock **** is a plasticky POS.

Here's a shot from the short shifter install. The top looks like the first one worrynot posted.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 AM
MCJoe
4th Gear
I don't even have my car yet, but I've already contacted Doug about an idea I had to see if it could be done!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 PM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MCJoe
I don't even have my car yet, but I've already contacted Doug about an idea I had to see if it could be done!
Too funny - I ordered mine from him before I got my CM, too! Now I really wish I had saved my 8 ball and custom LIVESTRONG Whalen ***** from my MC!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
I got my Whalen shift **** as a gift and didn't get to pick the design, but this is my favorite of the ones I've seen over the years. I guess having the shift pattern is nice whenever someone else drives my car, but it's kind of bland.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Julzie
2nd Gear
Anyone try their e-brake handle in the countryman?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Already ordered my Whalen. I so wish my 1st Gen Whalen **** would fit. Best **** out there.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 AM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
Already ordered my Whalen. I so wish my 1st Gen Whalen **** would fit. Best **** out there.
I thought the first gen ***** did fit? Which one did you order? Post up some pics when you get it!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Fireproof
2nd Gear
I got a custom Whalen **** on my CMS!

Name:  WhalenKnob.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  42.0 KB

Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 AM
stevielaine
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are cool, I'm thinking of an idea for one...can you guys that have them show maybe with some pictures what it looks like from above? What I mean is, it looks like in most of these pics that there is just a stick coming out of the big round base, what does it look like in there? And is it possible to keep the "leather" thing that covers the stick of the original shifter? Oh, and do they get hot??? Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 AM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To the above question "do they get hot " the answer would be scalding during the summer and like ice during the winter. Really other than that the shifters are quality pcs. of artwork.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ACallahan
To the above question "do they get hot " the answer would be scalding during the summer and like ice during the winter. Really other than that the shifters are quality pcs. of artwork.
It's easy enough to pull out and stuff it in your pocket...

Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Fireproof
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by stevielaine
These are cool, I'm thinking of an idea for one...can you guys that have them show maybe with some pictures what it looks like from above? What I mean is, it looks like in most of these pics that there is just a stick coming out of the big round base, what does it look like in there? And is it possible to keep the "leather" thing that covers the stick of the original shifter? Oh, and do they get hot??? Thanks a bunch!
I snapped a quick of it installed. It's dark in my garage so I had to use the flash, but it should give you an idea...

Also - I hear it can get hot in the Texas heat, so I bought this shift **** cover for when I have to park outside.

Attached Thumbnails Official Whalen Shift Machine (Knob) Thread-shift-knob.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fireproof
I got a custom Whalen **** on my CMS!

I love it, Fireproof! You must have ordered it before you even got your CM

Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
I use a sun shade in the summer, so I've never really had a problem with it getting hot, but I will say it gets dang cold in the winter. Wearing gloves helps, but it takes a long time for the **** to warm up.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Fireproof
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by liveSTRONG
I love it, Fireproof! You must have ordered it before you even got your CM
Thanks man. I did order it early and had it sitting on my desk for a couple weeks waiting on the car. LOL.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
I use a sun shade in the summer, so I've never really had a problem with it getting hot, but I will say it gets dang cold in the winter. Wearing gloves helps, but it takes a long time for the **** to warm up.
I use one of these for my whalen to protect me from hot or cold days: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9720G/B

Apple iPod socks. I bought a 3 pack years ago and had one just lying around. It fit perfectly.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 PM
stevielaine
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
I use one of these for my whalen to protect me from hot or cold days: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9720G/B

Apple iPod socks. I bought a 3 pack years ago and had one just lying around. It fit perfectly.
So funny! I have some of these sitting around too, and I was just wondering if they would work today! Great minds think alike!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stevielaine
Mine looks like that because of the adjustable short shifter I installed. The adjustment point is low on the shifter, so I just bunched up the shift gaiter below the adjustment point. If you only swap out the ****, you can keep the stock gaiter. Here's a shot from above:

Old 06-11-2012, 06:03 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by liveSTRONG
I thought the first gen ***** did fit? Which one did you order? Post up some pics when you get it!

BTW, I didn't reply to this. Here is a reply to the question from Doug Whalen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Hey Doug, Does your WSM **** designed for a 1st Gen fit a 2nd Gen MINI and visa-versa?

PS: Maybe your Webmaster has the Y2K Bug ?

1st and 2nd gen shift ***** (stock or mine) are not compatible, because of the dimensional change to the shift lever for 2007.

A 1st gen **** will not slide down far enough to lock on to a 2nd gen shift lever, so it will not stay on.
A 2nd gen **** will lock on to a 1st gen lever; but the anti-rotation pin inside the **** will not fit down into the slot at the top of the lever, and the **** will spin.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
Got mine two days ago. it's great. Really like the solid feel. It has been in the 90's during the day in Atlanta but the **** has not been unbearable to hold.I used two zip ties on the bottom side of the shift boot cover to have it snugged up against the shift ****. It is smaller than the stock shift **** but love the solid feel of it.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
minineen
1st Gear
Been doing some research on these ***** and read somewhere that the extra weight from the whalen **** might not be good for the shift mechanism (akin to resting your hand on the shifter, a no-no). Anyone care to "weigh in" on this...?

Bad puns aside, I would seriously like to know...

Old 03-24-2013, 05:51 AM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bmtespar
Got mine two days ago. it's great. Really like the solid feel. It has been in the 90's during the day in Atlanta but the **** has not been unbearable to hold.I used two zip ties on the bottom side of the shift boot cover to have it snugged up against the shift ****. It is smaller than the stock shift **** but love the solid feel of it.

Well done! Any other Whalen owners out there that are rocking the billiard ball shift **** from Whalen?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM
minibluez
2nd Gear
Just got mine in!! But am having trouble taking the **** off the leather boot (took off the trim, **** off lever etc.). Those white tabs don't seem to give much.

Any tips please?

Quick Reply: R60 Official Whalen Shift Machine (Knob) Thread