R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 USB Port Music Questions on this thing

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 AM
nomadwillie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB Port Music Questions on this thing

I have successfully connected a Flash Drive to the USB port by the EBrake. It plays fine.

In the Owners Manual it indicates that when you plug in the USB it may take abit and also indicates you can have up to 4 USB Devices worth of songs or 20,000 songs available.

What this suggests to me it is downloading the USB and storing the MP3 someplace on board in it's own storage.

Is my assumption correct ??

and if it is correct how do you delete the data that has been stored.

If it is not correct about downloading it, how do you connect 4 flash drives to the USB port ??

Willie

Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I'm pretty sure it just stores an index of your songs so it can load more quickly in the future.

As for 4 drives--it can index 4 drives but that doesn't necessarily mean you can connect them all at once. I guess you could connect 4 with a USB hub, but I don't know why you'd want to, honestly. It would take an eternity to find what you were looking for. If you connect a 5th drive, it probably deletes either the oldest drive or the least recently used drive.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 AM
nomadwillie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
I'm pretty sure it just stores an index of your songs so it can load more quickly in the future.

As for 4 drives--it can index 4 drives but that doesn't necessarily mean you can connect them all at once. I guess you could connect 4 with a USB hub, but I don't know why you'd want to, honestly. It would take an eternity to find what you were looking for. If you connect a 5th drive, it probably deletes either the oldest drive or the least recently used drive.
I agree on connecting the 4 drives, way too many choices. I am abit of a luddite with the new App Devices these days. I have traveled all this time on my motorcycle singing songs to myself versus have some external device to do it for me. This is like a new toy for me.

Now if ya wanna discuss GPS's I am over the top with those, owning 5 of the suckers and travel with 2 on the FJR.

Makes sense on the index versus storing the stuff, otherwise it should continue to play after you disconnected the Flash Drive.

Thanks for comeback on my questions

Willie

Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
nomadwillie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Thanks for the reply

Didn't see anything in there on the USB..hope my speed reading didnt get the best of me. But it has given me some ideas on Pandora. Not sure if I want to drink the iApple juice thou.

Willie

Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
jicm
2nd Gear
How can we use Pandora without an iPhone? I have Galaxy S3 android and I currently plug my phone USB into car (to charge) and then connect Audio cable from phone to car, then select Aux input.

This is my Pandora solution. Is there a better option?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 AM
MiniLynsk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jicm
How can we use Pandora without an iPhone? I have Galaxy S3 android and I currently plug my phone USB into car (to charge) and then connect Audio cable from phone to car, then select Aux input.

This is my Pandora solution. Is there a better option?
Had a galaxy nexus when i got my car, but switched to the iphone 5. What i used and still do is a bluetooth adapter that also charges any phone called tunelink blue potato. Sounds great!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nomadwillie
In the Owners Manual it indicates that when you plug in the USB it may take abit and also indicates you can have up to 4 USB Devices worth of songs or 20,000 songs available.

What this suggests to me it is downloading the USB and storing the MP3 someplace on board in it's own storage.

Is my assumption correct ??

and if it is correct how do you delete the data that has been stored.

If it is not correct about downloading it, how do you connect 4 flash drives to the USB port ??
It's just indexing the USB drive. It will pretty much forget and need to re-index every time you turn the car on/off. It usually remembers the last song so that it can start playing music again quicker. I noticed that if I try to browse right away the number of songs I can access is very limited. It needs a couple minutes to fully index my 16GB drive (completely full - 1706 songs).

I haven't played around with using a USB Hub and multiple drives. I'd probably just try connecting one large drive first and see what happens. I'm not sure if there is still a drive size limitation - it may be that it can only read FAT/FAT32 drive formats, and that would give you the 32GB drive size limit. So I guess in that case you could benefit from multiple drives depending on how large your collection is.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Naylia
...It will pretty much forget and need to re-index every time you turn the car on/off....
I was surprised to notice that the USB thumb drive stays powered up when I shut the MINI down - it's the only port I know of that stays powered. I wonder if you can keep your phone charged with it...

Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM
manho1dup
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ghamma
I was surprised to notice that the USB thumb drive stays powered up when I shut the MINI down - it's the only port I know of that stays powered. I wonder if you can keep your phone charged with it...
Yes, you can. I leave my phone plugged it and it charges after I shut off the engine.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
RobG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by manho1dup
Yes, you can. I leave my phone plugged it and it charges after I shut off the engine.
Mine does not on my 2012. That's weird...

Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
My I phone 4s connected via the Y cable does not charge with the vehicle off were as left in the cradle overnight phone is fully charged.......

Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Day177017
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is the R60 board, but i thought i'd chime in since i just noticed this AM on my R55 that the USB port stays powered on after i shut off and lock my car. The orange light on my 8GB Sandisk Cruzer drive keeps pulsing. I yanked the drive and put it in my cup holder after i saw that. I figure the drain on the battery is minimal, but my car stays parked at work for 10+ hours. I figure this can't be a good thing over the long haul. Thoughts?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Day177017
...I figure the drain on the battery is minimal, but my car stays parked at work for 10+ hours. I figure this can't be a good thing over the long haul. Thoughts?
The drain to support a USB thumb drive is so miniscule that you could probably go weeks without any significant problem, even with the MINI small battery.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 AM
manho1dup
3rd Gear
I have connected w/ nav and I noticed that there's a whining nice coming from behind the console where the CD player is. It runs for a few seconds every time I open the doors then stops. Sounds like some is spinning, does anyone noticed this on their car?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM
kingfishcoons
1st Gear
I have connected w/ nav and I noticed that there's a whining nice coming from behind the console where the CD player is. It runs for a few seconds every time I open the doors then stops. Sounds like some is spinning, does anyone noticed this on their car?
I notice it as well on my '13 w/ Connected.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 AM
detours
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get the spinning nose when I leave a CD in the player. Otherwise stays quiet for me.