R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Coolant Temp Sensor Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:28 PM
blueslixx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Temp Sensor Recall

I brought my 2012 MCS to get the radio replaced (preset button #1 not working). While my Service Advisor was checking in my car, she got a flag in the system that there is a recall on Mini Countryman S to replace the "Coolant Temp Sensor".

I'm glad that I'm killing 2 birds with one stone on this visit but my Grover is still in the shop. They replaced the coolant temp sensor, but they are having a hard time reprogramming the radio

Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
Thats good news about coolant temp sensor, my car there twice already, it also happened again 2 days age which I reset the code

Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Blueslixx, what month was your car built? Mine was build in May and I've received no recall notice. What's really odd is that recalls are usually well publicized, and I've heard nothing about this.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 PM
blueslixx
1st Gear
I looked it up and it looks like it was build on 01/2012.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
starman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm calling one of my local dealers tomorrow to find out if it's a range of VINs or what. Any additional info regarding the recall number or other info would be helpful.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:25 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Starman, please let us know what you find out. I'd rather get mine proactively replaced rather than have to wait until it fails.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:42 AM
SmithWerks
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is it a Recall or TSB?
You wont get a notice for a TSB. It will likely only be serviced if you mention & complain about the issue.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 AM
starman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by shark715
Starman, please let us know what you find out. I'd rather get mine proactively replaced rather than have to wait until it fails.
Here is the msg I got in the email today from one of the local dealers I emailed last night:

I just looked up your vehicle information and yes you do have an open recall for the coolant temp sensor. Let me know if you would like to set an appointment to come in.

This of course begs the question of whether or not they bothered to look up any open recalls when I was in there ten days ago for an oil change. Or what if I wouldn't have found out the info here?

I just emailed the SA back and asked her the number of the recall, the range of effected vehicles, whether it was a job that I could wait for and if they had the part(s) in stock.

Last edited by starman; 08-01-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM
starman
3rd Gear
Ok, here's the skinny, per the SA's reply to my most recent email:

"This recall was just released last week. So we still haven't received any of the parts for the repairs. You will be receiving a letter from MINI USA of all the information on the repairs. It affects R60 models with automatic transmission (N16 or N18 engine). Which were produced between 8/2010 to 3/2012. The repair will take about 2 and half to 3 hours. If you would like to we can contact you when we have the parts in for the repair so that we can schedule you to have the work done."

Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
eggmole
2nd Gear
Just brought mine in the other day for a fluid leak and they are also doing this recall. They had to order the parts, so I am waiting for that.

My bigger problem is the fluid leak, which they are attributed to a faulty Timing Chain Tensioner Pulley. Will have to wait for more info when I pick it up hopefully today or tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 AM
starman
3rd Gear
I'm going to have them possibly replace the Schrader valve (if I can get them to agree) and tweak my AC system coolant levels when I'm in for this recall, since they are already working in the same general area.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
I have a 3/2011 build countryman S, I took it in for service today, looks like mine is effected by the recall too.

The stealer was supposed to replace the part today, turns out the thermostat on 6spd manual and automatics is different and they didnt have the one for manual CMSs in stock. They have my countryman over night.

Luckily they loaned me a brand new r56! has mini connected, I was so excited to use it, when I did i was sorely disappointed with what it offers (nothing really)

Old 08-02-2012, 01:03 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
I called my SA today and indeed we're on the list for the recall. Made my appointment for next week. Glad to be on top of it.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM
starman
3rd Gear
The other SD MINI dealer has the parts in stock. Looks like I go in on Monday and have the recall work and AC tweaking done then. They told me I was the first to contact them about the recall. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by starman
The other SD MINI dealer has the parts in stock. Looks like I go in on Monday and have the recall work and AC tweaking done then. They told me I was the first to contact them about the recall. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Let me know what they agree to with the AC tweak, I'd love to have mine worked on as well.

Calling Irvine Mini tomorrow to see what they say.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 AM
starman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
Let me know what they agree to with the AC tweak, I'd love to have mine worked on as well.

Calling Irvine Mini tomorrow to see what they say.
They have agreed to check the freon levels and perhaps replace the Schrader valve. They've already said that the temperature sensor recall work should improve the AC functioning.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
They have agreed to check the freon levels and perhaps replace the Schrader valve. They've already said that the temperature sensor recall work should improve the AC functioning.
Thanks! I hope it does help the AC functioning. I just made my appt at Irvine Mini for next week.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:26 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
Thanks! I hope it does help the AC functioning. I just made my appt at Irvine Mini for next week.
To me it seems unlikely that the engine coolant temperature sensor would have any affect on the AC system (as far as cooling the car interior goes).

Old 08-04-2012, 03:52 PM
starman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DR61
To me it seems unlikely that the engine coolant temperature sensor would have any affect on the AC system (as far as cooling the car interior goes).
Per the SA, the sensor sends signals to the system and engine as to when to reduce or boost temperatures and this has an effect on the AC. I didn't ask for a detailed explanation but I will on Monday when I take it in.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 PM
shark715
6th Gear
I tend to agree with Dave. Then again when several people first mentioned the turbocharger coolant pump, I thought it was an urban myth.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Kribber
1st Gear
My dealer wasn't sure of the range of vehicles impacted by the recall... but mine ('12 ALL4) picked up in March 2012 with a Manual tranny was on the list. Going in on Wednesday...plan to ask what it effects....

Old 08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
I'm bringing my car in tomorrow. I wonder if this is the reason the ac seems to go from cold to not so cold air every once in a while?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM
starman
3rd Gear
Ok, back from my appointment. This is what the work order says they did: Retrofit of the engine coolant temperature sensor SI M17 05 12. Replace temp sensor with updated part, perform recall as outlined in S1 M17 05 12. Install new radiator hose and engine harness pigtail, top off fluids. Parts include adapter lead, spacer holder, coolant hose, cable strap and antifreeze/coolant.

They checked the AC and reported it functions properly, determined it is charged properly, reduces temp to proper temperatures and therefore no repair was necessary.

It's worth noting that the AC check was done after the recall update and I have to say that from the drive home, the temperature of the AC does seem colder, fwiw. Never got to have the conversation with the SA about how the recall update might effect the AC function.

They also washed my spotless vehicle after I asked them not to, when I dropped it off. Ironically, resulting in a washing making something less clean.

Last edited by starman; 08-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Ok, back from my appointment. This is what the work order says they did: Retrofit of the engine coolant temperature sensor SI M17 05 12. Replace temp sensor with updated part, perform recall as outlined in S1 M17 05 12. Install new radiator hose and engine harness pigtail, top off fluids. Parts include adapter lead, spacer holder, coolant hose, cable strap and antifreeze/coolant.

They checked the AC and reported it functions properly, determined it is charged properly, reduces temp to proper temperatures and therefore no repair was necessary.

It's worth reporting that this was done after the recall update and I have to say that from the drive home, the temperature of the AC does seem colder, fwiw. Never got to have the conversation with the SA about how the first repair effects the other.

They also washed my spotless vehicle after I asked them not to when I dropped it off. Resulting in a washing making something less clean.
Thanks!

Taking mine in tomorrow AM to have this temp sensor recall done. I'm pretty sure I'm the first customer that Irvine Mini has done this recall on so I appreciate you providing the details.

I'm hoping they don't touch the ECU or update any firmware while I'm there, seeing your post gave me some relief. They didn't change your maintenance schedule right?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 PM
starman
3rd Gear
Have no clue but they did note that the performed a 'world class multi-point inspection' on the wo - as a courtesy to me as they put it. I guess I should chalk up the unwanted washing to them being swamped on Mondays. The best part of it all was having to pay nothing. Since I only have 4100 miles and already changed the oil once at the other SD area MINI dealer I doubt they reset anything. The last time I noticed, my first scheduled free oil change per the onboard computer was still 10k miles.

I will be interested to see how your wo describes the recall service. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: R60 Coolant Temp Sensor Recall