R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?

Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by DenisMcG
I just bought a 2013 Countryman (base model). This is my first mini. Being a total newbie, I have managed to reset the TPMS and then broke the wheel lock key. I need to do the brakes and also get new tires. I managed to get one wheel off then snapped the key on the second wheel. The local BMW dealer doesn't have a key in stock so I ordered one directly from McGard. I will have to wait till it gets here to get back to the brakes.
Yeah I tried to rotate the tires on our '13 CM this weekend. One side went well then the other, I broke two socket extensions and a ratchet nub clean off. SOBs are ON THERE.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:54 PM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Yeah I tried to rotate the tires on our '13 CM this weekend. One side went well then the other, I broke two socket extensions and a ratchet nub clean off. SOBs are ON THERE.
That's no fun! Those damn things weren't going to let you loose your wheels.

A nice upgrade would be to studs. I haven't done it yet, although I plan on it soon when I get my new wheels. I did on my M3 in the past and I really liked it. I got mine from http://apexraceparts.com

Old 01-27-2017, 05:29 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tonmilv
Hello,

Looks great, do you have a full car picture?

how hard it was to remove front and rear (headlight/tails) rings?
Quick Pic

Name:  Mini%20Curb%20Pic%20Modified%2020170127_zpswoyxge4z.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  105.4 KB

Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 AM
atlas8000
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exhaust tips

The small size of the OEM exhaust tips always seemed goofy with such a big bumper opening. Luckily ECS Tuning sells reasonable priced tips that fill out the bumper nicely:

The only complication was the tips were sized for 2.5" exhaust pipes and my CMS had 2". Summit Racing had 2.5" to 2" reducers that solved the problem quickly.

Really simple mod if you are looking for a better exhaust look.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:33 AM
BaitoSamurai
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No pics but I installed LED interior lights on everything except the front footwells and map lights. (had some left over LEDS from other vehicle interior kits). Also put in some new HID bulbs, had one go out and got some 6k china lights from Amazon for $25 for both bulbs. They're a little brighter than the stocks, lets see how long they'll last.

Today I plan to remove a couple badges and get the car all prepped for to claybar and wax.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Nashvillejcw
2nd Gear
so i am deciding to go a different route with my CM. I am selling my BNIB BC racing coilovers if anybody is interested. i paid $995 shipped, ill sell them for $920 shipped OBO.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 AM
AWD_Rally

Originally Posted by Nashvillejcw
so i am deciding to go a different route with my CM. I am selling my BNIB BC racing coilovers if anybody is interested. i paid $995 shipped, ill sell them for $920 shipped OBO.
What does the BNIB mean?

Old 02-01-2017, 09:25 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
What does the BNIB mean?
BNIB = Brand New In Box
Means that he bought them and never used them or he test fit them to test the ride and remove them

LNIB = Like New In Box
Used for a limited amount of miles and then remove them and still has the original box they came in

Old 02-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Nashvillejcw
2nd Gear
no these are brand new! i opened the box and looked at them, took a photo and put them back. i think ive had them for about a week or so now.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:41 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by atlas8000
The small size of the OEM exhaust tips always seemed goofy with such a big bumper opening. Luckily ECS Tuning sells reasonable priced tips that fill out the bumper nicely:

The only complication was the tips were sized for 2.5" exhaust pipes and my CMS had 2". Summit Racing had 2.5" to 2" reducers that solved the problem quickly.

Those look amazing!....even though our definitions of 'reasonably priced' must differ a good bit, especially considering you had to buy additional parts

edit: I guess they are not that far off...Most others seem to be ~$50. So is the OE pipe 2"? I thought it was 2.25"...

Last edited by iwashmycar; 02-01-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:36 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Well done

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-01-2017, 02:53 PM
AWD_Rally

Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
BNIB = Brand New In Box
Means that he bought them and never used them or he test fit them to test the ride and remove them

LNIB = Like New In Box
Used for a limited amount of miles and then remove them and still has the original box they came in
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Nashvillejcw
What route are you going now?

What spring rates did you go with on these?

Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Nashvillejcw
2nd Gear
well my car is a lease, my goal was to lower the car and enjoy it like that but i found out that it could void my warranty.

as far as the spring rates, i dont know. i didnt specify which rates i wanted.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 PM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Oil/Transmission Chnage.

Oil and Transmission change done today.

Both look like they needed it. 42550 On Transmission Fluid. It had seen better days. Redline MTL Was the replacement oil I choose.
Liquid Molly 5w 30 On engine w/ stock Filter kit. Added a Magnetic Plug will see if it catches anything on next change.

This was my first oil change on the mini had to get it up on stands. All went well there is a million good write ups with great pictures. Thanks guys you saved my a good deal of cash.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:31 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectMini
Oil and Transmission change done today.

Both look like they needed it. 42550 On Transmission Fluid. It had seen better days. Redline MTL Was the replacement oil I choose.
Liquid Molly 5w 30 On engine w/ stock Filter kit. Added a Magnetic Plug will see if it catches anything on next change.

This was my first oil change on the mini had to get it up on stands. All went well there is a million good write ups with great pictures. Thanks guys you saved my a good deal of cash.

I need to change my transmission oil as well. In my R53 I used MTL but couldn't really find a definite answer if anyone has used it on the R60. Could you tell a difference? I could in my R53. Just wanted to know if you could in the Countryman. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:22 PM
atlas8000
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Those look amazing!....even though our definitions of 'reasonably priced' must differ a good bit, especially considering you had to buy additional parts

edit: I guess they are not that far off...Most others seem to be ~$50. So is the OE pipe 2"? I thought it was 2.25"...
Fair point about price... Originally I was looking at the JCW tips which cost almost twice as much as the ECS tips. I assumed my exhaust pipes would be 2 1/4, but found they were smaller when I went to install the tips. I bought the car used so I'm not sure if the exhaust has been changed.

BTW your handle gave me a good chuckle because after posting the photos I thought I probably should have washed it first.

Last edited by atlas8000; 02-02-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 02-02-2017, 03:30 PM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 808keith
I need to change my transmission oil as well. In my R53 I used MTL but couldn't really find a definite answer if anyone has used it on the R60. Could you tell a difference? I could in my R53. Just wanted to know if you could in the Countryman. Thanks.

Like BUTTAH!!!!. Side note i thought it was placebo but the wifey said they sound quieter w/ out me asking. (She's not a real car gal or anything) so I took this as the seal of approval.Used to have a Notchie Feel now its more like a pressure feel (If that make sense) But in short. RED LINE MTL For the win. I went through many post and decided it had to be better than the old stuff. Im going to change every 30 k from now on. 4500 +/- On Engine.

Next up :: Spark Plugs and Air filters // Cabin and Engine.

You guys have any other Maintenance items that may get over looked but are valuable to do?? Open Ear/Eyes

Thanks

Project

Old 02-02-2017, 05:49 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Fair point about price... Originally I was looking at the JCW tips which cost almost twice as much as the ECS tips. I assumed my exhaust pipes would be 2 1/4, but found they were smaller when I went to install the tips. I bought the car used so I'm not sure if the exhaust has been changed.

BTW your handle gave me a good chuckle because after posting the photos I thought I probably should have washed it first.
i know the main single pipe is 2.25-ish. I guess the post-muffler ones are likely even smaller so the 2" makes sense. Good stuff!

Old 02-06-2017, 11:40 AM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spyder Projector Halogen Headlights with LED DRL

Forgive the poor lighting and dirty car.

LED DRL not yet wired up

Old 02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Much better already. They look good.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 PM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
After weeks of thinking about it, looking at pictures here on the forum and talking with a few that did the stripe removal job ... I took the stripes off today. The Goo-Be-Gone worked fantastic on what little was there to rub off ... I washed the car to get that solution off plus I wanted to see if there was any paint discoloration under the stripes ... paint and the clear coat looked great.

I would have waxed it but I had enough outdoor activity in 40° weather. Maybe later this week if the forecasters are right about 62°

My next decision will be replacing the red mirror covers for black ones. Anyone have a pair of black ones they would like to sell?

Here are the before and after pictures.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:27 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
That is looking sweet. Do the belt line red and leave the mirror caps and get the black door handle caps and black (or dyi plasti dip) hood and trunk emblems

Old 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06SlvrMCS
My next decision will be replacing the red mirror covers for black ones. Anyone have a pair of black ones they would like to sell?
I think I'd be inclined to keep the red mirror covers and brake air ducts and do the hood sport stripe in gray, matte black or carbon fiber style. I'd do two small red stripes, one on each side to pick up your other red accents. It should have the desired effect without having the large red stripes.

See this thread for inspiration: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...g-stripes.html

Old 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
That is looking sweet. Do the belt line red and leave the mirror caps and get the black door handle caps and black (or dyi plasti dip) hood and trunk emblems
Thanks Manny. You know when I got to the rear door I stopped. I had seen yours and had to think if I wanted to remove it or not. I was close to keeping the rear door stripes.

I like your idea, thanks for the suggestion. I've been having a hard time trying to find black mirror caps. Those should be easy mods.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 PM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by techgearpro
I think I'd be inclined to keep the red mirror covers and brake air ducts and do the hood sport stripe in gray, matte black or carbon fiber style. I'd do two small red stripes, one on each side to pick up your other red accents. It should have the desired effect without having the large red stripes.

See this thread for inspiration: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...g-stripes.html
Thanks for scrambling my brain cells

I saved that link so I can continue to look at those photos and torment myself. I like your ideas and Manny's, so once again I have something to keep me mentally busy in coming to a solution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R60 What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?