R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 I want a freaking back-up camera!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Fireplug117
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just bought a number of wireless back up cameras from Advance Auto Parts for our service trucks. $100.00 each. They fit between the license plate and the plate mount, using the same holes. You need to tap for power and mount the monitor in the dash area.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fireplug117
We just bought a number of wireless back up cameras from Advance Auto Parts for our service trucks. $100.00 each. They fit between the license plate and the plate mount, using the same holes. You need to tap for power and mount the monitor in the dash area.
If anyone goes this route be sure to pick up a standard 12v relay to power the rear camera. I have a wiring diagram for the rear camera and relay if needed.

Cheers

Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM
area49
2nd Gear
Actually for 42k it should come with a rear *** washer option that not just cleans the rear glass but the entire hatch area,

Gets so dirty you can't even touch it without having to wash your hands,

Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by area49
Actually for 42k it should come with a rear *** washer option that not just cleans the rear glass but the entire hatch area,

Gets so dirty you can't even touch it without having to wash your hands,

You paid 42k?? Lots of other cars that come with a lot more stuff at that price point.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FredoinSF

You paid 42k?? Lots of other cars that come with a lot more stuff at that price point.
Yes. But none of them are as fun as a MINI!

I'm actually about to add a rear camera to my R56N that has the OEM nav. There's a box from nav-video.com that's made for 3-series that is supposed to work on our screens. It adds a few video inputs for DVD players and such as well as a rear backup camera that automatically turns on when you put the car in reverse.

I plan on making a work log for this project when I actually get it underway.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Drnickm53
2nd Gear
I would have liked the back up camera, but I wasn't a deal breaker. For those wanting to not have curb rash, I came up (well I am sure someone else did at some point) with a way to parallel with out ever touching rim to curb.

If you keep you angle a bit sharper keep backing up a bit before pulling the front in all the way. You tire will hit the curb tread first. Now you know where the curb is. Pull forward bringing in your front end and that will give you a bit of a clearance to then back up further bringing in the front, and pushing the rear a few inches away from the curb. It takes a bit of practice to get use to it, and after a while you wont even need to do so, you will know where the curb. I live in a downtown apartment with out a garage so street parking is all I do.

I do agree the rearward viability is a bit compromised. A high back seat and high rear belt line make it a tiny bit of a pain. Like others have stated though, side mirrors are amaze-*****!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
jgg5
1st Gear
Added backup camera to 05 Convertible

I bought a rear view camera kit off ebay for $53. It took about 4 hours to install. It has a 4.3" screen mounted down by shifter. It comes on when in reverse. It has wide angle lens at the license place and is great for seeing what is coming down the parking lot lane when I'm parked between two monster trucks as I back out. (all trucks and SUVs seem like monster trucks)

Old 05-18-2013, 07:28 AM
lrindt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by calforhelp

I'm actually about to add a rear camera to my R56N that has the OEM nav. There's a box from nav-video.com that's made for 3-series that is supposed to work on our screens. It adds a few video inputs for DVD players and such as well as a rear backup camera that automatically turns on when you put the car in reverse.

Just following up to see if you ever did the nav-video box (or any other solution) that interfaced the rear cam to your Connected display. Thanks for any info you may have.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
get with it dude

Originally Posted by calforhelp

Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what was done, but I am trying to find out... I know an MA at my dealer who just traded in his JCW countryman with 2k miles and his connected screen shows the backup camera that he had installed when the car goes into revers.

Last edited by yetti96; 05-23-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks like NavInc has solutions. Youtube demo plus website.

Youtube Demo of thier Stuff:

I have a few things to do to the new ride before this like the new Mini DRL's bu this will be on my list.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 AM
jns2001
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
Take your pick . . .

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products...ucts/RVSystems

I agree, however. They could have stuck it in the gosh darn navigation/connect/armrest package with no problem. I also want the passenger side mirror to dip in reverse so my antrhacite wheels don't become a nasty two-toned mess.
Ditto!!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
Looks like NavInc has solutions. Youtube demo plus website.

Youtube Demo of thier Stuff: BMW Mini Countryman (Visual Boost) - Qnavi images.flv - YouTube

I have a few things to do to the new ride before this like the new Mini DRL's bu this will be on my list.
This I like. Any more details that are in English? Pricing? is it available?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by jgg5
I bought a rear view camera kit off ebay for $53. It took about 4 hours to install. It has a 4.3" screen mounted down by shifter. It comes on when in reverse. It has wide angle lens at the license place and is great for seeing what is coming down the parking lot lane when I'm parked between two monster trucks as I back out. (all trucks and SUVs seem like monster trucks)
How is the nighttime image? That is the one thing that makes me cautious about the eBay cheapies!

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 AM
lrindt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
This I like. Any more details that are in English? Pricing? is it available?
Here's the link that's in English...compatable with late model Clubman and Countryman
http://www.navinc.nl/webshop/multime...ms-p-1824.html

The cost of 549 punds translates roughly to $850. It's pricey but this interface would give many other functions besides the rear view camera. The YouTube links for the NavInk shows you get a lot for it. Other companies making interfaces for MINI's at this time that I could find include Navtv.com, tvandnav2go.com, navtool.com and pac-audio .com.

A lower cost solution to get a backup camera, without adding another monitor or clamp on mirror in the car, would be to get a GPS that accepts a video feed. Garmin, for example, currently shows they have 3 models in the Dezl series. Food for thought

Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Ki11switch
Neutral
Does anyone know how to access the maintenance menu on our navigation screen? I was able to retrofit 2 camera on a Lexus and Merc by buying a universal camera and attaching the video wire to the headunit and the power supply to my rear back up light power. I assume since we share components with bmw this should be possible.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Not convinced. I was surprised how poor the rear visibility is in the Countryman. The rear windows are very short, there's too much metal at the back of the car, limiting view lower down, at the back.
I drove a cabrio, I can see the world in this!

Last edited by pyrrhusmj; 05-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 AM
flee
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Do you know what is this mean?
Remarks:
- Automatic switching to camera possible (not yet available for BMW 1-series and MINI)

I have my FIRST Mini for 3 weeks now, I found a lot of weird design issues of the car. Example: If you would have put the back up sensor, I think lot of people would just prefer a back up camera. Just think of all the holes and wiring on the bumper you have to put in, wouldn't be a camera is much easier? And you can see it rather than the ignoring beeping sound. I could be wrong on this, but I heard that by law, from 2014 on, all cars are required a back up camera. May be next year Mini would have an upgrade?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM
All4mini
2nd Gear
An old post - but maybe new information. I am in the process of installing a rear view (backup) camera on my wife's 2012 All 4 Countryman S. Testing the solution with 12vdc for the camera and stand-a-lone monitor worked good. Connected the camera power to the backup light wire at the left tail light and problems began. Initially (on first test) the camera came on with full screen picture and distance indicators. Then the picture got distorted and then began to scroll. Subsequent tests gave same results. Good picture for less than 5 seconds, then the scrolling. Thought that the problem was interference in the video cable that I had run along the left side of the vehicle. Ruled this out by connecting the camera power to 12VDC (switched cigarette lighter on right side), solid picture though no longer full screen and no longer having the distance markers. Don't know if camera is damaged or the monitor is out of wack. Apparently the park assist sensors have a power feed from the tail light also, so the power is "dirty." Thought I would try a power line filter on the backup light wire and see what happens. Any other information - success or otherwise would be appreciated. Be a couple weeks before I can get back to this project.

TIA - Michael

Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
Here is the diagram I made and what you need to use to get "clean/constant" 12v to the rear camera.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...up-camera.html

This worked for my install

Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 PM
minijennfrogger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryanzak
Just sayin', for $42k this damn thing should have a swanky camera. Freaking crap VW has them.. ARGH!!! only complaint, other than the clutch.. which I am dealing with. :-)
We have a mcs convertible, and looked at the countryman,but after pricing one out and shopping around at other dealerships, we went with a loaded Kia Soul.
Bluetooth, nav,backup camera,sunroof,leather, ect for $23k, the countryman would have cost at least $10k more.
I love the back up camera not so much for parking but for backing out of spots in parking lots,it really helps you see when a SUV or van is parked next to you!

I do like the countryman styling better,but the options get the price up real fast!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Ki11switch
Neutral
Hi All4Mini,

Looks like you are having same issues that i had on another car. The "power line filter" or a 12v Noise filter should do the job. Keep us updated on the progress.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minijennfrogger
We have a mcs convertible, and looked at the countryman,but after pricing one out and shopping around at other dealerships, we went with a loaded Kia Soul.
Bluetooth, nav,backup camera,sunroof,leather, ect for $23k, the countryman would have cost at least $10k more.
I love the back up camera not so much for parking but for backing out of spots in parking lots,it really helps you see when a SUV or van is parked next to you!

I do like the countryman styling better,but the options get the price up real fast!
Yup a Kia Soul is comparable in size but much cheaper. However it doesn't handle as well and isn't as well built. If you just compare MINIs to vehicles of a similar size, the MINI almost always comes out more expensive, however it's also a situation of you get what you pay for...

Thanks for visiting this site once to simply post that you bought a Soul instead of a Countryman!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 AM
GOC4RT
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How could someone even compare a Countryman to a Kia Soul. The name Kia just does it for me. Those things are absolute **** boxes. Doesn't matter what features they come with. If you buy a Kia you obviously don't like to drive a vehicle. That's my little rant!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:48 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
. . . however it's also a situation of you get what you pay for...
Not to be argumentative, but - - - I got run flats, a hard & noisy ride, hard plastic interior, a wtf center rail, recall notices, overly-complicated operating systems, electronic quirks, parts failures, a dodgey service department, mandatory options, unkept promises, BMW pricing, wicked torque steer, clueless sales staff, and a few other things. I'd say I got a lot more than I (over)paid for. I understand brand loyalty and cult status and all that. And I am happy that so many people have found happyness with MINI. But you can only trade on past reputation and mystique for so long.

And that's my little rant.

Sealy - Who notes that the only thing worth the cost was the Pure Red paint.

Quick Reply: R60 I want a freaking back-up camera!