North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015-355/)
-   -   Need brighter replacement bulbs for headlights (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015/338098-need-brighter-replacement-bulbs-for-headlights.html)

Sharan Sunkara 04-18-2019 01:07 PM

Need brighter replacement bulbs for headlights

Hey all,
I am looking to replace the dull halogen bulbs in my 2013 Mini Cooper countryman S All4. I know there are several options out there but the last time I tried replacing the bulbs to some aftermarket leds the lights flickered and got error messages on dash. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

DneprDave 04-18-2019 01:14 PM

Put new stock lamps in it, halogen lamps do get dimmer with age.

eddie.bruque 04-18-2019 03:05 PM

I am also thinking about getting brighter headlights, but I'm thinking going full on LED - something like this https://www.carid.com/spyder/led-hea...waAk4ZEALw_wcB

let me know what you decide!

DneprDave 04-18-2019 03:39 PM

Try to stay with the same wattage lamps as stock, the wires going to the headlamps are small and have been known to fail when high wattage lamps are used.

Dragonzsoul 04-19-2019 03:01 PM

I just swapped to a set of LED bulbs for my fog lights, but they were marketed as headlight replacements. I was wary of how bright they would be for $25, but figured it was worth a shot. To my surprise, they outperform the stock fogs by quite a bit. I can tell when the fog lights are on, even with my HIDs on (stock bi-xenons).

Will LEDs in a reflector housing cause glare? Yes, but so do regular halogen bulbs in reflector housings.

The LEDs I got were not special CANBUS bulbs, and I didn't get a fog light out warning. They do flicker upon startup, but not afterwards.

If for some reason my headlights ever go out, I'll still be able to see where I'm going with my fog lights.

ECSTuning 04-23-2019 10:05 AM

Led in stock headlights are not really focused and can blind oncoming traffic, i did the projector upgrade with the correct cutoff for the low beam and that was the best visually. Then you can get led or xenon kits.

On the fog lights it will sometimes throw up a little glare but its not that bad. I guess it depends on the brand and how the led bulb is focused.

They are canbus you will not get a bulb out error. They will throw an error if they are not canbus eventually. We have Ziza bulbs here that are Canbus. the NON canbus on newer MINIs throw an error right off the bat.

Dragonzsoul 04-23-2019 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4465227)
Led in stock headlights are not really focused and can blind oncoming traffic, i did the projector upgrade with the correct cutoff for the low beam and that was the best visually. Then you can get led or xenon kits.

On the fog lights it will sometimes throw up a little glare but its not that bad. I guess it depends on the brand and how the led bulb is focused.

They are canbus you will not get a bulb out error. They will throw an error if they are not canbus eventually. We have Ziza bulbs here that are Canbus. the NON canbus on newer MINIs throw an error right off the bat.

I'm curious if LEDs will cause more glare in stock housings, compared to halogen bulbs. I guess they're brighter, so they might?

Surprisingly, my non CANBUS bulbs haven't given me an error yet.

ECSTuning 04-23-2019 10:15 AM

It will as the ~2015+ CM came with factory LEDs upgrades, i have driven with them and they do have a bit more glare. They do have more glare over the stock bulbs and that was factory, my guess is the aftermarket ones will have more the factory ones. Best to test on a rainy night on wet pavement and stand far away. See how it is. If its bad go back to yellow halogen bulbs, thats what i like. :)

On those, they might be canbus and just labeled non canbus? Maybe.

ke3ee 04-26-2019 07:56 AM

I have LED bulbs in my 2012 and 2016 R60's. In the stock Halogen housings. If when installed you index them properly there is no more glare than stock Halogens but 3 times the brightness. You need to make sure the LED bulbs you get are only 2 sided, not 3 or 4 sided. When installing the LEDS need to be on the left and right of the divider not top and bottom, in other works the center of the bulb must be vertically aligned not horizontal. Pa has one of the strickest laws regarding glare and putting HID's\LEDS into Halogen housings and mine both passed the yearly inspection with flying colors. Also do your self a favor and buy good bulbs, not the cheapest you can find on Ebay. You get what you pay for.

mikey_t 04-26-2019 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ke3ee (Post 4465833)
I have LED bulbs in my 2012 and 2016 R60's. In the stock Halogen housings. If when installed you index them properly there is no more glare than stock Halogens but 3 times the brightness. You need to make sure the LED bulbs you get are only 2 sided, not 3 or 4 sided. When installing the LEDS need to be on the left and right of the divider not top and bottom, in other works the center of the bulb must be vertically aligned not horizontal. Pa has one of the strickest laws regarding glare and putting HID's\LEDS into Halogen housings and mine both passed the yearly inspection with flying colors. Also do your self a favor and buy good bulbs, not the cheapest you can find on Ebay. You get what you pay for.

Interesting. Do you have any recommendations for a particular bulb and whether it requires a coding out of any generated error?

ke3ee 04-26-2019 08:55 AM

Bulbs I purchased are below. I had previously turned off or coded out all of my bulb warnings with Carly so don't know if they would have or not.

mikey_t 04-26-2019 08:58 AM

Just to confirm: JDM ASTAR H13 bulbs?

Note from Amazon site:
Notes: For a few vehicles equipped with a CANBUS systems, The headlights may flicker. Anti-flicker Relay Harness is needed to prevent it.

ke3ee 04-26-2019 08:59 AM

Yes

mikey_t 04-26-2019 09:17 AM

There seems to be a number of complaints about those lights going dead within 6 months? And JDM"s customer 'service' being non-responsive.

ke3ee 04-26-2019 09:18 AM

I haven't had an issue or a dead bulb. I installed them over a year ago. All I can say

Alpha Motoring 05-03-2019 08:31 PM

If you go LED or HID and you are ok with it in the halogen bowl, remember you can always code out the bulb check to eliminate the flickering if you or you know someone that does BMW/MINI coding. Or just get canbus ones, but they do flicker sometimes still.

mikey_t 05-04-2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ke3ee (Post 4465850)
I haven't had an issue or a dead bulb. I installed them over a year ago. All I can say

Fair enough.