North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015-355/)
-   -   R60 Monitor knocking/timing (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015/337720-monitor-knocking-timing.html)

2012_R60 04-06-2019 12:52 PM

Monitor knocking/timing

Hello all,

I have RPM Stage 2 tune and want to keep an eye out for knocking. I wanted to to see what other people are doing here for monitor knocking? Do you know if there’s a cheap way to monitor knocking via obd or a cheap monitor? I use OBD2 with obd fusion app but couldn’t find any PIDs for this. Alternatively should I just monitor the timing advance? Would that be enough? What is a clear indicator that there’s a knocking event from timing?

thanks!

Jwanck11 04-07-2019 04:32 PM

other than audible, I am not sure, sorry. following as I'd like to see what is going on (afr, KR in particular) with our tune.

2012_R60 04-07-2019 05:24 PM

I’ve seems some knock monitors out there for 500-1000 dollars but not interested in paying that much money! I reposted this on the gen 2 mod thread. Should get better response there.

eric.stewart 04-08-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2012_R60 (Post 4461786)
Hello all,

I have RPM Stage 2 tune and want to keep an eye out for knocking. I wanted to to see what other people are doing here for monitor knocking? Do you know if there’s a cheap way to monitor knocking via obd or a cheap monitor? I use OBD2 with obd fusion app but couldn’t find any PIDs for this. Alternatively should I just monitor the timing advance? Would that be enough? What is a clear indicator that there’s a knocking event from timing?

thanks!

Monitor knocking or avoid knocking? The engine management computer will adjust to avoid knocking by retarding the timing. It uses acoustic sensors to detect this. I can't think of any tools other than your ears which will actually tell you whether there is detonation (knocking) or not. That said, if you see the advance being aggressively retarded when you invoke full power that is as good an indication as any that knocking is occurring. Only way to deal with at that point is buying higher octane fuel. :-)

2012_R60 04-08-2019 03:41 PM

Eric thanks for the reply. I was talking about monitoring. I’m considering upgrading turbo in the near future and wanted to see how the engine is handling stage 2 so far. For example I’ve seen this monitor. https://www.phormula.com/KnockDetection-KS-3.aspx

I also found that the obd fusion app I use has a knock counter PID for GM engines and was wondering if anyone is using a similar approach with another app or scan tool. I’ve been reading up on timing and I’m monitoring that now to see if I can figure it out :)

i know now a lot of people upgraded to stage 3 without any issues but I enjoy monitoring stats like these!

eric.stewart 04-08-2019 03:44 PM

Cool! I would be very interested in what you find.

Revolution Motor Works 04-08-2019 03:57 PM

the problem on those tunes they deaden the knock sensor from pulling timing. It's why so many are broken. Then the "flashers" say the engine is made of glass.......if the car is tuned properly the engine will take care of the knock detection as it should.

Timing has to be modified on these cars when raising the boost for 91 octane. If you don't you are going to run into issues when conditions are right and there goes your engine.... I've sold so many sets of rods/pistons to these guys over the last few years, having known this would have developed a set from mahle motorsports for these cars like we did the 1st gens for super high hp cars.

2012_R60 04-10-2019 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Revolution Motor Works (Post 4462249)
the problem on those tunes they deaden the knock sensor from pulling timing. It's why so many are broken. Then the "flashers" say the engine is made of glass.......if the car is tuned properly the engine will take care of the knock detection as it should.

Timing has to be modified on these cars when raising the boost for 91 octane. If you don't you are going to run into issues when conditions are right and there goes your engine.... I've sold so many sets of rods/pistons to these guys over the last few years, having known this would have developed a set from mahle motorsports for these cars like we did the 1st gens for super high hp cars.

thanks for the input! It’s great to hear the perspective from an actual tuner on this! So am I understanding correctly that both RPM and Manic deaden the knock sensor from pulling timing? To make sure that I keep things on the safe side would installing a meth kit help?! Not tuning for it just to cool things down and increase octane.

thanks again!