North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015-355/)
-   -   R60 Possible overheating again..... Ugh (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015/337522-possible-overheating-again-ugh.html)

Weedahoe 03-31-2019 08:46 PM

Possible overheating again..... Ugh

So about 6-7 weeks ago I replaced the thermostat housing because it was leaking. Not terribly but enough to warrant replacing. Everything has been good until this week. The other day on the way home I noticed the high speed fan running. Mind you the low speed fan doesn't ever come on. Not because it doesn't work but because it just doesn't heat up enough for it to come on. So I hooked up my ODB scanner and sometimes it runs around 200* and stays there. I went to work this morning and sat in the car with it running (in park) and it stayed consistently around 225* but I have seen it climb to high 230s on occasion. The reservoir is full and there are no leaks. I'm really hoping this isn't a sticking thermostat.

Anyone else have any ideas? Bad temp switch maybe?

Weedahoe 04-01-2019 06:51 AM

To add to all of this, yesterday the wife said when she got it the car and started it (engine cold) that it would buck and skip when she tried to give it gas. I told her to Rev it up a bit and see if that helped which it did. This morning when I took it to work to monitor it I got the same issue.

It would fire up at first but would almost immediately die. It did this twice. I had to "give it some gas" and get the RPMs up and once I did it seemed to run fine.

Right now I'm sitting in the parking lot at work with the engine running and watching the temps and it is at 228* and if I cut it off and restart it, it cranks up fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

mikey_t 04-01-2019 01:46 PM

For what its worth.... I had my temp sensor / thermostat and reservoir replaced after it failed & overheated last year and about 3 weeks later it was in to have the water pump replaced likely related to the initial problem.

Weedahoe 04-01-2019 06:08 PM

So I just got off work and it's 9 East Coast time. It is 57 degrees outside and before I crank the vehicle I already have my scanner hooked up in engine coolant temperature is reading 206 degrees. With me Idol and sitting in one spot it doesn't change but as soon as I get out of the parking lot and hit the gas it jumps to 228 degrees. Mind you the heater is already on but there's no heat coming out of the vents. So there's no way the engine coolant temperature can be that temperature already and I just started the engine. As I'm driving home the numbers are fluctuating and I really wish I would have recorded the graph so I can post it and show you guys but for me right now it looks like probably a bad engine coolant temperature sensor. I am also getting a misfire on cylinder 1 and cylinder 3 but that seems to be sporadic because while driving on the way home and idle in my driveway it seems to be running just fine. So I'm not sure if those two issues are tied together or separate problems. Tomorrow I'm off work so I'll probably pull the plugs and check them even though I just recently replaced all four and I'll probably take my laser temperature and shoot the coolant hoses and check for temperature

dpike 04-02-2019 10:05 AM

did you replace the coils when you did the plugs ?

ke3ee 04-02-2019 02:28 PM

Couple of things.... did you bleed the air when you installed the thermostat? I currently own 2 CM's and both temps vary from 190 to 239. Both run cooler with the sport mode on around 190 -210. The sport mode causes the fan to come on earlier and longer. The temp's will vary on Mini's Remember the coolant also, helps cool the Oil on these. I know this from owning a total of 5 since 2006. Nothing to worry about. .On Mini's you should always replace the coils when doing the plugs and use OEM coil packs and either Oem plugs( Beru's or now Champion they bought Beru) or NGK's and nothing else.

iissac22 01-19-2022 02:04 PM

Same issue

Originally Posted by ke3ee (Post 4460922)
Couple of things.... did you bleed the air when you installed the thermostat? I currently own 2 CM's and both temps vary from 190 to 239. Both run cooler with the sport mode on around 190 -210. The sport mode causes the fan to come on earlier and longer. The temp's will vary on Mini's Remember the coolant also, helps cool the Oil on these. I know this from owning a total of 5 since 2006. Nothing to worry about. .On Mini's you should always replace the coils when doing the plugs and use OEM coil packs and either Oem plugs( Beru's or now Champion they bought Beru) or NGK's and nothing else.

239 degree is normal not high because my countryman s is hitting 239-240 on a spirited driving but drops down and sits at 237 then 235. If I turn car off for 30 sec at most it will drop to 220 and slowly go to 230. Air or new thermostat

Travissherry 12-06-2022 04:59 AM

Same problem - did you solve?

Originally Posted by Weedahoe (Post 4460678)
So I just got off work and it's 9 East Coast time. It is 57 degrees outside and before I crank the vehicle I already have my scanner hooked up in engine coolant temperature is reading 206 degrees. With me Idol and sitting in one spot it doesn't change but as soon as I get out of the parking lot and hit the gas it jumps to 228 degrees. Mind you the heater is already on but there's no heat coming out of the vents. So there's no way the engine coolant temperature can be that temperature already and I just started the engine. As I'm driving home the numbers are fluctuating and I really wish I would have recorded the graph so I can post it and show you guys but for me right now it looks like probably a bad engine coolant temperature sensor. I am also getting a misfire on cylinder 1 and cylinder 3 but that seems to be sporadic because while driving on the way home and idle in my driveway it seems to be running just fine. So I'm not sure if those two issues are tied together or separate problems. Tomorrow I'm off work so I'll probably pull the plugs and check them even though I just recently replaced all four and I'll probably take my laser temperature and shoot the coolant hoses and check for temperature

Hey Weedahoe or anytime else with this problem - I’m experiencing the exact same thing, including having to give it gas when it’s a cold start and the temperature spiking and fluctuating dramatically. Mine is going all the way up 122 C (250 F), which kicks on the engine overheating warning light and then that drops right down after 5 seconds or less and the light turns off.

Is it actually overheating? Or just a bad temperature sensor? Or something else?

thanks for any help!