R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Dashboard went out but all fuses check out ok!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:47 PM
catinamini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dashboard went out but all fuses check out ok!

Background:
I have a 2012 Mini Cooper S Countryman:
  • Purchased July 2018 with 75k miles
  • Was fully inspected at MINI BMW after purchase
  • Had some brakes pads/rotors replaced at the time along with water pump pulley
  • Last service was an oil change Sept 2018
  • Car ran great all winter (it's below freezing here)
  • No indicator lights were on
When I turned my car on after running into a store the other day, the dashboard did not illuminate. I have since turned it off/on, same results.

WHAT WORKS: radio (illuminates&works), windows, doors, power locks, headlights, low beams, high beams, rear lights, brake lights, directionals, alarm flashing lights on the side of door

WHAT DOES NOT WORK: illumination of tachometer (digital), tachometer (manual needle), illumination of dashboard control, illumination and sound of directionals, interior mood lights, illumination of gas gauge

From what I read online, I started with the hypothesis of a blown fuse. I tested each fuse, both connectors, and EVERY CONNECTION WORKS/LIT UP. I read somewhere that it could be the fusebox itself, but if that were the case, wouldn't that also affect the fuses themselves?

Any recommendations for easy stuff I can check out myself (or with a local mechanic) before taking it to the MINI dealer?

Thank you!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
The footwell module, maybe? Have a look at any error codes will be helpful. Some parts stores can read codes for you but I don't know if their generic scanners will show FRM codes. Someone else may be able to provide more information on that.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Sounds like a bad FRM module. There’s an extended warranty campaign for certain cars on the FRM module.