R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Base suspension springs VS Sport

Old 02-13-2019, 01:10 PM
RCRacer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base suspension springs VS Sport

I've been reading a lot of the threads and searching a lot of websites, but I can't find a clear answer.

Our 2013 Countryman with standard suspension is in need of at least new rear struts because it's pretty bouncy and makes the handling over-reactive.

I would love to go with the Bilstein B6 HD, but this is the 4th family car so I have to keep cost under control. I found the Bilstein B4 replacements for the Sport and JCW suspension which are very affordable where I could justify replacing fronts too, BUT do I need to go to a stiffer spring as well, or are the springs the same for sport vs non-sport? I can't find any info on springs, not even on realoem.com.

The next option would be something like Eibach springs, or some other aftermarket spring but I would rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

The other thing I am considering is getting the sport front sway bar and the sport or maybe bigger rear bar too.

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by RCRacer
I've been reading a lot of the threads and searching a lot of websites, but I can't find a clear answer.

Our 2013 Countryman with standard suspension is in need of at least new rear struts because it's pretty bouncy and makes the handling over-reactive.

I would love to go with the Bilstein B6 HD, but this is the 4th family car so I have to keep cost under control. I found the Bilstein B4 replacements for the Sport and JCW suspension which are very affordable where I could justify replacing fronts too, BUT do I need to go to a stiffer spring as well, or are the springs the same for sport vs non-sport? I can't find any info on springs, not even on realoem.com.

The next option would be something like Eibach springs, or some other aftermarket spring but I would rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

The other thing I am considering is getting the sport front sway bar and the sport or maybe bigger rear bar too.

Thanks for any input.
The springs ARE different. It's the sport springs' difference in height (10 mm) that gives the car a slightly lower ride height compared to the non-sport springs. They are firmer, too.

Your question is whether you need to go to a stiffer spring, ostensibly because you've read that they are matched with the shocks and you are buying replacements intended for Sport and JCW application.. Strictly speaking the MINI Sport springs and shocks *are* matched. The common wisdom is that if you buy lowering springs you need to buy matching shocks since the shocks are tuned to provide maximum jounce control (in both compression and rebound) for a specific height and firmness of spring. But....it's only 10 mm difference (less than 0.5"). I say go ahead and buy the new shocks and I doubt that buying new springs is absolutely required. This will horrify the purists! ;-) You might even find that your customized solution is a better compromise when compared to the overall firmness of the sport suspension (which I have). I'm going to guess that you'd have to have a very finely tuned butt-meter to tell the difference.

Let us know how the Bilsteins work out!

Old 02-13-2019, 03:42 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
I have the Bilstein B4s on my R53 MC40. It has the Sport "Plus" suspension which is approx. 20% firmer (springs than the Sport only). The B4s work great on my car, and with the addition of non-run-flat tires, the ride is totally acceptable.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 AM
RCRacer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric.stewart
The springs ARE different. It's the sport springs' difference in height (10 mm) that gives the car a slightly lower ride height compared to the non-sport springs. They are firmer, too.

Your question is whether you need to go to a stiffer spring, ostensibly because you've read that they are matched with the shocks and you are buying replacements intended for Sport and JCW application.. Strictly speaking the MINI Sport springs and shocks *are* matched. The common wisdom is that if you buy lowering springs you need to buy matching shocks since the shocks are tuned to provide maximum jounce control (in both compression and rebound) for a specific height and firmness of spring. But....it's only 10 mm difference (less than 0.5"). I say go ahead and buy the new shocks and I doubt that buying new springs is absolutely required. This will horrify the purists! ;-) You might even find that your customized solution is a better compromise when compared to the overall firmness of the sport suspension (which I have). I'm going to guess that you'd have to have a very finely tuned butt-meter to tell the difference.

Let us know how the Bilsteins work out!
Originally Posted by cooper48
I have the Bilstein B4s on my R53 MC40. It has the Sport "Plus" suspension which is approx. 20% firmer (springs than the Sport only). The B4s work great on my car, and with the addition of non-run-flat tires, the ride is totally acceptable.
Good info. I'm going to order the b4 struts and go from there.

I'm very tempted to do springs too so I don't end up having to pull the struts twice. Any input on springs? All I can find are aftermarket. H&R, NM, Eibach and Vogtland. $220-$290. I would be ok with a little lowering, but I don't want a harsh ride.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:36 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
honestly the sport springs dont offer much difference between the sport and non sport, you just get that slight lowering effect. I have 2 R60's in the driveway, one with the sport and one without. the biggest difference comes from the rear sway bar which is 1mm larger, but even still not worth swapping for that. if the b4 struts allow for lowering springs you can opt for them, but most lowering springs will sacrifice ride quality for lowering. i thought about going to lowering springs route, but ima just opt for coilovers.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:54 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
@Saltysalt They *are* somewhat stiffer. Maybe not by much. Agreed about ride height. As I said up a couple of posts, it's only 10 mm. Not much.

As for lowering springs, I couldn't agree with you more! I had a set of H&R Sport springs for my TT. They were supposed to be properly matched to my shocks (they were NOT!) and the promised lowering of approximately 1" was more like 2" and the ride was miserable. I ended up swapping them out.

I say go for the Bilsteins, too, based on others' recommendations + yours.