North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015-355/)
-   -   R60 2012 CM S ALL4 - Engine Mal Reduce Pwr and CELs (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015/334896-2012-cm-s-all4-engine-mal-reduce-pwr-and-cels.html)

Red Robin 01-08-2019 07:16 AM

2012 CM S ALL4 - Engine Mal Reduce Pwr and CELs

So I bought this CM with known issues as I got it for a steal. The PO got scared when his mechanic told him it needed a new engine as there was oil/water mixture present. I haven't seen that period! Check radiator, tank, cylinder head. All like it should be.
Wait... let me back up a bit...
This all started when the PO had to take it into his mechanic because he started it up to go home around Thanksgiving and put it in reverse and the car starting jerking then got the dreaded Engine Malfunction Reduced Power warning and the CEL came on. So he immediately shut it down and towed it to his mechanic which his mechanic them told him after checking that he needed a new engine because of oil/water mix.

I dont think that jives with the errors given especially after my inspection that there is no sign of peanut butter lol. Also will add that the CM starts and rolls forward in drive (auto) with no abnormal noises or vibrations.
Would I be right to say that it was probably misdiagnosed? Now it does have a major oil leak which I havent got it on the lift yet to see what is leaking but a quick 1-2 over looks just like the oil pan gasket.
Plugs are gummy and cylinders are carboned up but nothing abnormal for a CM with 176k. It definitely needs plugs though.

Just looking for some insight that my guess its not really a blow engine is accurate.

Thanks

The CELs are - P0015, P0300, P0304, P053A and P054B.

MrGrumpy 01-08-2019 10:52 AM

Well the first code show up as a camshaft position B over retarded.
The next two are misfire codes. Multiple cylinders, and cylinder 4 misfire.
The next one is PCV heater circuit open. For this one check that the PCV hoses connect to the intake pipe are plugged in, it has happened to me.
The final one is another Camshaft B cold start, retarded.
I would inspect and possibly replace the VANOS solenoids and new OEM plugs and see if that fixes it. Otherwise it may have a timing issue

Red Robin 04-09-2019 08:35 PM

Update

So i have replaced the vanos solenoids, cam sensors and spark plugs. Its running better and no CELs but is still kicking off the reduce power warning that can be reset. I have checked the soft codes and am coming up with P1338 and P1339 which is referring to crank sensors or software issues. Has anybody seen this?
There is a previous thread talking about ISTA BMW software needed to reset the solenoids. Not sure what that entails.
Checked the timing chain when valve cover was off and looked good. Chain isn't loose and all gauges are intact.
What else can be checked to determine timing is a fault?

eric.stewart 04-10-2019 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Red Robin (Post 4462540)
So i have replaced the vanos solenoids, cam sensors and spark plugs. Its running better and no CELs but is still kicking off the reduce power warning that can be reset. I have checked the soft codes and am coming up with P1338 and P1339 which is referring to crank sensors or software issues. Has anybody seen this?
There is a previous thread talking about ISTA BMW software needed to reset the solenoids. Not sure what that entails.
Checked the timing chain when valve cover was off and looked good. Chain isn't loose and all gauges are intact.
What else can be checked to determine timing is a fault?

I can only speak to the VANOS issue. Beyond that I would be talking out of my you-know-what. :-)

The engine computer will adapt to a progressive failure of the VANOS and other components. These “adaptations” have to be cleared for the new unit to function properly. I had the VANOS motor replaced on my Countryman very recently and this procedure was outlined on my work order. In my instance, they also had to cycle the motor through its whole range >100 times as part of the procedure.