North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015-355/)
-   -   R60 thinking of trading my Clubman in for Countryman (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015/333727-thinking-of-trading-my-clubman-in-for-countryman.html)

Jeffob5 11-27-2018 08:14 PM

thinking of trading my Clubman in for Countryman

I have 2013 Clubman S Bond Street loaded w/auto which I have really enjoyed, but the recent snow storm back here in Philly area was serious challenge getting around. I spotted at the Mini dealer and drove a 2015 Countryman S all wheel drive with a stick. This combo would be superior to the front drive set up on the Clubman. Color on the Countryman is Jungle Green which I kind of like, dark headliner, heated seats, no nav screen so big speedo in the middle (don't like) and brand new tires, asking just under $22K with about 27K miles. Thoughts on this trade - is worth it considering or should I just put snows on the Clubby and see how it goes this winter?

WayMotorWorks 11-27-2018 09:02 PM

I love my Clubman too much so I'd keep it

02fanatic 11-28-2018 04:51 AM

I don’t have a Clubman but I know those who do seem to really like them. That being said from looks alone the Countryman is a better looking car imo. I know the color you are considering and I like it.... very fond of the anthracite headliner too...wish our Countryman had it but the light headliner is fine. We bought a 2015 CMS All4 last summer and we absolutely love it! It’s an automatic tho which I like, but my wife has to have auto anyway. That snow storm a couple of weeks ago really sucked for sure....the snow plows were MIA to boot! We live in PA as well.

The price seems about right, maybe a bit high since it has a manual transmission. I know the manual transmission Countryman is harder to sell, so if you really like it you can get them to go lower. It’s probably a car off lease like ours was.

Your Countryman has all wheel drive, sport mode, manual mode auto with paddle shifters and a dipstick! What’s not to love?

I put the 18” Fan Spoke Wheels on ours with non runflat Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +3 tires and it drives and rides 100% better!

Let us know what you decide. Good luck! Oh if you are dealing with Main Line MINI negotiate an extended warranty as well!

Jeffob5 11-28-2018 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 02fanatic (Post 4434571)
I don’t have a Clubman but I know those who do seem to really like them. That being said from looks alone the Countryman is a better looking car imo. I know the color you are considering and I like it.... very fond of the anthracite headliner too...wish our Countryman had it but the light headliner is fine. We bought a 2015 CMS All4 last summer and we absolutely love it! It’s an automatic tho which I like, but my wife has to have auto anyway. That snow storm a couple of weeks ago really sucked for sure....the snow plows were MIA to boot! We live in PA as well.

The price seems about right, maybe a bit high since it has a manual transmission. I know the manual transmission Countryman is harder to sell, so if you really like it you can get them to go lower. It’s probably a car off lease like ours was.

Your Countryman has all wheel drive, sport mode, manual mode auto with paddle shifters and a dipstick! What’s not to love?

I put the 18” Fan Spoke Wheels on ours with non runflat Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +3 tires and it drives and rides 100% better!

Let us know what you decide. Good luck! Oh if you are dealing with Main Line MINI negotiate an extended warranty as well!

I do love my Clubman...most of the time. The Bond Street interior is great, nice seats and details. I bought it from Otto's and that is who I deal with out here. The car was loaded up new and the original sticker was close to $40K. I got it as an Mini executive demo in 2015 for about $25K and registered as the first owner, so in service date was August 2015. I got 3 years of standard maintenance no charge and still have until August 2020 for remainder of the warranty (the Countryman warranty is good only til Jan 2020). I put 215/45/17 non-runflats on in May and it improved the ride and handling, but it is still stiff over small bumps and manhole covers. I would've preferred a stick, but it is an Auto so...Having said that, low clearance and front drive are not ideal for winter driving, even if I put some snows on it. The Countryman sits significantly higher and has All4 drive, but doesn't have Nav so instead of the screen, I would have that silly round speedo in the center stack (don't like that at all to be honest).

02fanatic 11-28-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffob5 (Post 4434596)
I do love my Clubman...most of the time. The Bond Street interior is great, nice seats and details. I bought it from Otto's and that is who I deal with out here. The car was loaded up new and the original sticker was close to $40K. I got it as an Mini executive demo in 2015 for about $25K and registered as the first owner, so in service date was August 2015. I got 3 years of standard maintenance no charge and still have until August 2020 for remainder of the warranty (the Countryman warranty is good only til Jan 2020). I put 215/45/17 non-runflats on in May and it improved the ride and handling, but it is still stiff over small bumps and manhole covers. I would've preferred a stick, but it is an Auto so...Having said that, low clearance and front drive are not ideal for winter driving, even if I put some snows on it. The Countryman sits significantly higher and has All4 drive, but doesn't have Nav so instead of the screen, I would have that silly round speedo in the center stack (don't like that at all to be honest).

If you are dealing with Otto's ask for Michael Dixon and tell him John W. sent ya! LOL! He's great to work with...I ordered my 2015 from Michael. He's very knowledgeable! I almost bought a Countryman in Colorado from a dealer that had the center screen, but ours doesn't have it...just the black speedo. We found it at MINI of Allenntown. Michael was helping me look for a Countryman also. I like simple...use my phone for GPS. To me the screen is a distraction when driving. It's just a personal thing I suppose.

MrGrumpy 11-28-2018 01:05 PM

I really love my Countryman. It’s good for a family with a teenager and dog. My lineman sized son fits in the back seat with room to spare...that’s hard to do! It drives very well, with the All4 it corners excellent for me. They feel a bit sluggish compared to the smalller Mini’s, but that can be fixed too... heh heh. I say go for it. It may be big and heavy and not very Mini to a lot of folks, but if you like it then who cares! I’m not as much of a fan of the F60, but am a big fan of the R60. They can be just as much fun as anything. I giggle like kid when I go down the street and get funny looks from other “grown ups” when I go popping (loudly) down the road. My exhaust could be considered obnoxious by some I suppose (no cats or resonator). I call it perfect! Ha ha.
good luck with whichever way you choose to go.

PureWorks 11-28-2018 10:17 PM

I’ve owned a couple of R53s and a couple of R60s (my current car)....bought my daughter a Clubman 6 months ago....
completely different driving experiences. The Clubman has the original “go cart” feel....some folks don’t like the profile but the extra room works!

The Countryman is far more functional-convenient for four-and with All4-can take you where the “S” cannot trek....so it comes down to fun “go cart” added space and hope winter tires do the trick vs. ALL4 capability-more room-functionality and overall better looks of the CM.

Gelmobile 12-06-2018 07:59 PM

I have a beater manual FWD Scion XB (with General Altimax tires) we drove up to Vermont to ski from Jersey the past three years never get stuck once.
If you want traction on snow/ice def get a set of dedicated wheel/tires or switch out the current tires to Nokian WRG3/4, but imo our cars are way too low
for clearance.
With proper tires, the countryman All4 is probably a good compromise....and a fun one.
As for the asking price, there are quite a few of manual Clubman S All4 floating around, (especially if you don't mind traveling a little), you should be able to push the price down to $19K or so. Shop around and don't be afraid to be a tough bargain hunter. Remember the new year is around the corner, the car you want to buy will be one more
year older (depreciate another 10-15% easily), wait for the end of the month and be ready to walk away. The dealer I was negotiating wanted to charge $750 for doc fees.
I told them to go pound sand, they end up calling me back the end of the month with a significant price drop plus reduced doc fee down to $100. I would have bought the car if I didn't have to buy my girl a ring for engagement. They end up selling the car via auction, now is in another dealer's hand (marked up 5K to book value). I just have to wait for them to come down a few months and play the same game again.

Songman 02-01-2019 08:18 AM

I really loved my Clubman S. As folks have said, it drove like a go cart... right up until the time it got smashed in a 6 car pileup on the interstate.

Now I've had my Countryman for 3 days. I don't love it yet, but I do like it alot. I've only put about 25 miles on it so far, but I'm sure I'll learn to love it just as much as I did the Clubman.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...4ca3fbed8c.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...791b203e5a.jpg

chrunck 02-01-2019 09:31 AM

I like my Countryman, but it has waaaay more body roll than the Clubman. I'd look into a Clubman with All4 if you care about cornering at all.

MrGrumpy 02-01-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by chrunck (Post 4447620)
I like my Countryman, but it has waaaay more body roll than the Clubman. I'd look into a Clubman with All4 if you care about cornering at all.

That’s weird, mine has almost no body roll, it’s very tight in corners, but it is an All4

02fanatic 02-01-2019 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrGrumpy (Post 4447661)

That’s weird, mine has almost no body roll, it’s very tight in corners, but it is an All4

Neither does mine, but you & I both have the 18” turbo fan wheels with the wider tires which may make a difference!

chrunck 02-01-2019 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by MrGrumpy (Post 4447661)

I'm guessing you haven't owned any other MINIs. I think my Countryman (an All4, with sport suspension) does well in the corners, but it definitely leans way more due to its higher center of gravity. I still push it hard through corners, it just doesn't feel as planted.

My wife's F54 Clubman All4 handles much closer to what I remember from our smaller MINIs.

Gelmobile 02-03-2019 07:17 AM

sorry to hear/see that happened with the ClubM, by any chance you will part the wheels out?

Songman 02-03-2019 02:36 PM

Insurance company got mine. I wish I could have stripped all the goodies off, but none of them will fit the new Countryman anyway.