R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 What is the empty space under the driver's seat for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
What is the empty space under the driver's seat for?

I pulled the seats out of my wife's 2014 Countryman to give it a thorough cleaning and lo-and-behold I found the tow hook. Had no idea it was stored there and certainly good to know before we are in a situation where we need it.

I also found a small cubby in front of the tow hook with Velcro straps that seems to be designed for something, which is missing. Anyone know what this space is intended for? Am I missing some accessory?

Picture for reference (BEFORE vacuuming up the accumulated dog hair).

Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
In the past I had a BMW that was delivered to the first owner via European purchase and that was the location of the first aid kit. That would be my guess.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:42 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I think I've read that Euro spec cars come with a small air compressor that fits in that slot.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:10 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't forget...do NOT start the car, or even turn the "key" on while the seats are disconnected.

The following users liked this post:
Marquette MINI (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chrunck
I think I've read that Euro spec cars come with a small air compressor that fits in that slot.
Thanks... Yeah, I've figured out it is for the MINI "Mobility kit." I'm assuming that since our cars are speced with run-flats, BMW felt the mobility kit isn't necessary. My winters are non-run-flats, and my stock tires will be replaced with non-run flats when the time comes, so I already carry a small compressor and a tire repair kit in the trunk. I wonder if they will fit in this space.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yep,

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ility-kit.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-05-2019, 05:16 PM
John Wm Rickman Jr.
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with all opinions noted above... but I have found another equally useful use for the "Cubby" under the Drivers Seat. I am an Properly State Licensed Armed Security Officer in the State of Georgia and even though I am also a Private State Licensed Firearms Weapons Holder and allowed to Openly carry a Firearms in the State of Georgia... there are places where it is best to leave your Firearm Locked Up inside your vehicle ie... Public Gatherings, Concerts, Festivals... etc. I have found that the "Cubby" in the Floorboard under the Drivers Seat works perfectly for this requirement... and it stays put due to the Velcro straps.

The following 2 users liked this post by John Wm Rickman Jr.:
Junior 2.0 (06-06-2019), scf (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 04:18 AM
Junior 2.0
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wm Rickman Jr.
I agree with all opinions noted above... but I have found another equally useful use for the "Cubby" under the Drivers Seat. I am an Properly State Licensed Armed Security Officer in the State of Georgia and even though I am also a Private State Licensed Firearms Weapons Holder and allowed to Openly carry a Firearms in the State of Georgia... there are places where it is best to leave your Firearm Locked Up inside your vehicle ie... Public Gatherings, Concerts, Festivals... etc. I have found that the "Cubby" in the Floorboard under the Drivers Seat works perfectly for this requirement... and it stays put due to the Velcro straps.
I never thought of using that space for something like that! Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-07-2019, 05:50 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wm Rickman Jr.
Excellent idea! Here in NH we don't need a license to conceal carry, but you can get one. That way you have reciprocity and if you so choose to carry concealed on a school campus you are "protected" by the federal safe schools act. Though I'm not going to be the first one to challenge that, I simply don't carry on any school properties.