R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Changing to New Wheels and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 PM
928Bob
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing to New Wheels and TPMS

Hello All, 1st post, brand new to the Mini World as of 1 week ago when I purchased a 2011 Countryman S for my son. So far runs like a dream for him, he loves it, and we'll keep our fingers crossed. Previous owner kept the vehicle in excellent condition. I will try to post some pics.
My question concerns mounting new OEM wheels and tires I found on Craigslist from a Countryman owner who only put about 100 miles on them before switching them out for other wheels. I tried the Reset in the owners manual but the car is still showing the yellow inflation caution light in the large center speedometer gauge.
I called my nearest Mini dealer, who just so happened repaired a recall for the circuit board/turbo pump a few days after buying it, and asked whether the new wheels would need synching to my sons car. Does this need to be done by Mini? They really couldn't tell me anything without seeing the vehicle themselves, so they say.
Really nice people, but this ain't my first rodeo.
Thanks for any/all responses. Looking forward to many happy miles for my sons first car.
Bob

Went from these.....

to these

Old 11-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Are you sure the used rims have TPMS installed? I switch my oem rims with after market rims every year without having to reset.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:53 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
It looks like they are the TPMS ones.

However, manufacturers change frequencies all the time....going model to model, year to year, ect. They are likely just not the right frequency of TPMS....now, if that can be changed I dont know.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:56 AM
928Bob
Neutral
These wheels are OEM Mini and were taken off a new (then 2016 or 2017) Countryman and judging by the condition, I have no reason to doubt the seller. Doubting, also, the batteries have died as I've read they should last approx., 7-8 years? I'm wondering if the frequencies changed from 2011 to these newer wheels? The original silver wheels were working fine, no issues, no warning lights, so I guess I could remove the TPMS sensors and put them in the newer wheels, but would like to see if I can get these working and keep the old set as a backup.
Thanks for the info, waiting for other opinions. Might have to drive up to the City to Mini after the Holidays anyway.

Bob

Old 12-17-2018, 11:01 AM
kscw
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I swapped mine with the exact same wheels on my 2012 S All4 a few months ago. They were from a 2016 JCW that the owner removed after purchase so they too had a couple hundred miles on them. I had the dealer put them on when I went in for service and they told me that it was most likely the frequency. Not likely the batteries since they were just two years old. But it would have cost $$$ to change TPMS and remount the tires so I just have the error on the dash.

The following users liked this post:
iwashmycar (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:56 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
R60 MINI TPMS are all the same frequency.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:19 PM
928Bob
Neutral
OK Thanks guys. At least I have some direction to point Mini Service center because when I called and explained what I did/am trying to do, they didn't seem to knowledgable about it.
Thanks again,
Bob