R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 2013 Countrymen Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 12:22 PM
jwk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Countrymen Starting Issues

Hi. Two weeks ago, my 2013 countryman died while pulling into my driveway. Had AAA out and the diagnostic code was alternator. Had alternator replaced and car worked fine for a week. I drove to a friends house, was there for 2 minutes and went back out and nothing. Waited for AAA for 1 and 1/2 hours and before they came, my car suddenly turned over. Drove my car home. Went to restart the next morning and nothing. Checked this morning and it clicks, but wont start when I push the start button. The lights on the inside come on, but it doesn't display the full spectrum of lights like it usually does. Any ideas? I can't think that it is battery, because if so, it wouldn't have started, Right?. Why would it have worked fine for a week? Could it be electrical or ignition? Now beginning to question if it indeed was the alternator. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I spend any more money!!!! Car has worked fine up to this point

Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Assuming that the connections on the new alternator haven't worked loose, get the battery checked to see if its up to snuff and if so the only other culprit i can think of is the solenoid on the starter is acting up.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Probably the battery in the first place, wouldn't trust AAA to diagnose blue skies. Bad battery could give codes making you think otherwise.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:58 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Probably the battery in the first place, wouldn't trust AAA to diagnose blue skies. Bad battery could give codes making you think otherwise.
I second your reply....most likely the battery! I would like to know how to install a new battery myself if anyone cares to advise with instructions....what code reader to use, etc. Stupid having to go an hour away to the dealer for a dead battery...I won't do it!

Old 10-29-2018, 03:18 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I’m leaning towards a battery as well, it will cause all sorts of electrical issues when they start to go bad, mine sure did! Some shops will know how and be able to register the battery. The important thing with replacing the battery is to get one that can be vented. They should know what you mean, but the battery in the CMS is enclosed in the cowling. It has to be vented to the outside according to the information I was given by the dealership. Then the new battery will need to be registered to the car. This can be done at the dealership for a cost $. Or find somebody with something that will do it. I personally have a Schwaben scan tool from ECS Tuning. It did my battery in 2 minutes. It also reads the BMW proprietary codes on these, it’s damn handy to have! Now that my shill is over, lol. I’ve heard that Carly will do it too. I’m sure there are other ways as well that someone else will chime in with. The scan tool is pricey if you will only use it for the battery registration, but it pays for itself fast if you work on your car yourself.
There must be some Indy shops out there too, who have a way of doing it, that will probably at least be cheaper than the dealership

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (11-05-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:26 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Thanks Grumpy! I actually bought the Schwaben tool also for BMW/MINI. I bought it for resetting the oil service interval on my F56 JCW....that’s great if it will also work for registering a new battery. I’m just curious what battery comes stock in the MINI? Varta? Do you know? Both our CMS and the JCW are 2015’s.

ECSTuning (11-05-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The Schwaben tool does do battery registrations as Mr Grumpy post mentions. You can use any brand battery as long as you keep to the same type AGM for example and the same capacity all you need do is register the battery. If you change type or capacity you need to do some coding.

I don't think that MINI BMW sticks to a particular brand exclusively but just pop the cover off the battery compartment and have a look. You can also hit up realoem.com for the tech specs of what should be installed.

ECSTuning (11-05-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:48 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
You’re all set then! I don’t know, I never really looked that close. It said BMW on it so I figured that meant unreasonably overpriced, ha ha. I found good one online at pep boys, and they were offering free installation with purchase, so I took full advantage of that! They said they couldn’t register it (the mechanic owns a BMW) there. I told them I can do it myself, and after a skeptical look and a few shoulder shrugs, they did it. When the pulled the car out, the mechanic looked stricken, he as he handed me the keys he said “none of your gauges or anything are working now” I told him that’s ok, and he and the service writers all wanted to watch me register the battery, lol. So I plugged it in and was done in no time, and the mechanic looked very relieved! Lol.
Its really simple with the Schwaben

ECSTuning (11-05-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:52 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
The Schwaben tool does do battery registrations as Mr Grumpy post mentions. You can use any brand battery as long as you keep to the same type AGM for example and the same capacity all you need do is register the battery. If you change type or capacity you need to do some coding.

I don't think that MINI BMW sticks to a particular brand exclusively but just pop the cover off the battery compartment and have a look. You can also hit up realoem.com for the tech specs of what should be installed.
Thanks MinnietheMoocher! I was trying to remember what I had been told about changing the capacity. That’s exactly it!