R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Issues at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:32 AM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues at high speeds

I bought the wife a 2012 Countryman S with 70k. It is clean and nice.

At normal speeds and acceleration it rides and pull fine. But if you get to high speeds and hit the supercharger it will skip and miss. Anyone else have this issue before?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Weedahoe
I bought the wife a 2012 Countryman S with 70k. It is clean and nice.

At normal speeds and acceleration it rides and pull fine. But if you get to high speeds and hit the supercharger it will skip and miss. Anyone else have this issue before?
No Supercharger, has turbo.
Change the spark plugs - Since you dont sound like a back yard mechanic, go with OEM as I have seen Ebay sell the wrong ones to owner who ended up punching holes in the engine pistons.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
No Supercharger, has turbo.
Change the spark plugs - Since you dont sound like a back yard mechanic, go with OEM as I have seen Ebay sell the wrong ones to owner who ended up punching holes in the engine pistons.

Far from backyard.

I'll try plugs. I'm a manager for a major auto parts retailer so I can get parts cheap but just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue before I dropped coins on parts. ***** ebay. Chinese crap.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Some years have extended warranty on Turbo. Some years have the warranty on the HPFP. Plugs, coils and Vanos Solenoids also seem to be frequent areas to check.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:43 PM
gns30
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But if you get to high speeds and hit the supercharger it will skip and miss. Anyone else have this issue before?
I have the same exact issue with my 2012 R60 All4 with a 6 speed. On the highway, around 70 or 80 it will almost cutout or miss upon acceleration. I've already replaced plugs, I'm almost wondering if its a coil pack starting to fail and with the higher temps and load it starts to give out. I haven't gotten a CEL or anything and driving around town no issues, except for the hard to get moving part, car just feels to weak for its own weight.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gns30
I have the same exact issue with my 2012 R60 All4 with a 6 speed. On the highway, around 70 or 80 it will almost cutout or miss upon acceleration. I've already replaced plugs, I'm almost wondering if its a coil pack starting to fail and with the higher temps and load it starts to give out. I haven't gotten a CEL or anything and driving around town no issues, except for the hard to get moving part, car just feels to weak for its own weight.

Funny you mention that because my wife's previous car was a 2007 Grand Prix with a supercharger and at one time it was doing the exact same thing we're at normal speeds and slight engine load it would run fine but if you get out on the open road and hit the supercharger it would fall on its face. Eventually I did narrow it down to and ignition coil and after replacing it it works fine.

The Countryman however has not produced to check engine light and while I have my own ODB scanner that can actually do live data it's hard to catch what isn't there at the time of testing

Old 10-09-2018, 02:41 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Most code readers out there won’t read the proprietary BMW codes, it’s possible you do have a code and it’s just not showing on your scan tool. As an example, before I got my Schwaben scan tool, I had a general scan tool and could not find it at that moment, so while the car was actively in limp mode I took it down the road to autozone. Their scanner showed no codes at all! Went to the nearest Euro repair shop do had them scan it, there were 5 stored codes that the other scan tool couldn’t see.
As far as it feeling sluggish and underpowered, well.....it is! Remember that this is the same motor scooting the smaller Minis (if that era) around. But it is trying to sling a lot more weight around. Add the extra two wheels getting powered with the All4 system, and you end up with a hog! Lol. But all is not lost! It’s time to shill! Lol.
if you are looking to gain a little (or more) quickness, getting your ECU remapped makes a HUGE difference on these things. Ever since Mariokart did mine it’s absolutely night and day. It is not sluggish anymore, ha ha. I upgraded the turbo a little bit too, but only because I needed a new one anyway. I would suggest getting the problem fixed first, but if you want more, there are several tunes available out there now. Myself and many others have an RPM tune from Mariokart and are very happy with it. Reach out to him about making it faster, you won’t be disappointed.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
Thanks My Grumpy. That is something I definitely want to do. My truck has a custom tune on it and my bike is dyno tuned. Both of them made a difference. At some pointpoint I do want to upgrade the mini as well.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Wife and I are researching R & F 60 for baby on the way. Just wanted to pop in and say we experienced a very similar senario with our R58S last week. Specifically, stumbling above 3k in 3rd-6th gear under strong acceleration. No cel. Took it in and the coil pack for cylinder 3 was bad. No damage to the spark plug but they replaced it as well. He’s back and restored to his former glory.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:21 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
CM and high speed.......oxymoron.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
Bringing this back up.

After pushing the car here as of late, I finally got the check engine light to come on which also resulted is reduced engine power. My scanner brought up code P0301. So I picked up a coil and plug under a commercial account at work which resulted in some pretty nice prices.

Since the coil and plug are easily replaced, I will know something solid tomorrow morning and will follow up but I expect it to be the coil.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
So easy to replace the coil(s) on this car. After replacing #1 coil, it is a huge improvement. However, there is still a small skip @ around 5K RPM so I will go ahead and replace the other 3 coils and all 4 plugs to be safe.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Mechineer84
1st Gear
Did that sort the issue? Mine is doing about the same thing.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 AM
gns30
1st Gear
So easy to replace the coil(s) on this car. After replacing #1 coil, it is a huge improvement. However, there is still a small skip @ around 5K RPM so I will go ahead and replace the other 3 coils and all 4 plugs to be safe.
Just replacereplaced all four coils, still have the same thing!. Not sure what else to look at now.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Did you use OEM coils and what brand of plug. Use either Beru\Champion gapped at 6mm or NGK's. and OEM coils. Plenty of threads about this and learn from my experience owning 2 CM's since 2012.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mechineer84
Did that sort the issue? Mine is doing about the same thing.
Changing out the one coil that was giving my our issue did resolve the overall problem

Old 11-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
Just replacereplaced all four coils, still have the same thing!. Not sure what else to look at now.
I would replace the plugs first as they are a wearable item. While changing out the one coil did resolve the issue in the wife's car, I chose to do that only because it would crank up and run fine at idle or a slight engine load but only when a heavy engine load was present it would misfire. This made me think it was not a plug or a plug would do it all the time. But in your case I would change out all the plugs first and then would have graduated two ignition coils

Old 11-13-2018, 09:00 AM
Mechineer84
1st Gear
I had all 4 plugs replaced and it took care of mine. Still have the original coils.