R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Question for Manual Countryman owners

Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 AM
gns30
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question for Manual Countryman owners

I have a 2012 ALL4 S and since I've owned this car I have had issues driving it and wondering if I'm alone. Originally the car would stall out fairly easily when starting from a dead stop. I thought it was me but I've owned manuals since I've been driving and that's been a long time haha. My wife had issues as well so I figured it was the clutch and of course it went out so I replaced it with a one piece billet aluminum flywheel and upgraded clutch, still organic, which helped a ton but still has issues. The car almost feels like it has no power once I begin to let the clutch out and once to fall on its face! I'm hoping I'm not alone in this and also hoping that there is a solution, let me know, thanks!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:29 PM
NM-1
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a '13 CM manual with 45K (non ALL4) and it's arguably the worst manual since my '66 VW Bug. Inconsistent feeling in the pedal. It takes a bit to figure out how it likes to be used. I can certainly see how those with not a lot of manual experience could burn the clutch out sooner than normal.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:12 AM
y8s
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If it's stalling easily when it's warmed up, try the easiest thing first: turn on the DTC (press traction button once) and see if it helps.

Then try running a tank of Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner or similar through it and see if things improve.
Related idea: think about where you buy gas and if it's got something like Chevron Techron in it to help clean out carbon deposits. Cheap gas often doesn't have this.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 PM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm with ya. I've been driving manuals for 35 years. This is by far the worst setup. I've stalled this car more times than any other vehicle! That includes trucks/cars/dumptrucks/etc. I can never seem to find the sweet spot, and I've had Myrtle over a year now.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 AM
jcwcm2014
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Someone else who is experiencing the same issues I have been having. I just bought a new to me 2014 JCW CM about 3 months ago. I thought I was losing my mind because out of all the manuals I have owned including the 3 other coopers we have now, I have never had an issue like this. Each time I pull off from a stop it would start to move then basically fall on its face almost as if the brakes were being applied. I tried everything from sport mode on and off, ac on and off, traction on and off and tried every combination possible. Also replaced all the coils, spark plugs, drove with the OEM intake and my aftermarket one. The only way to really get it going would be to slip the clutch.

3 trips to the dealer (2 separate dealers) returned no resolution as they all just told me "that's how it's supposed to drive" and the clutch had been replaced just a few thousand miles before purchasing as it was "defective."

Fast forward to just a couple of weeks ago I found a used aftermarket exhaust for sale. I have been wanting a little more sound as the "JCW" exhaust is almost nonexistent. After the install..... all I can say is wow. The herky jerky feeling is about 95% gone. I don't know if this actually solved it but so far it has been amazing.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:24 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
A mod I highly recommend to any manual MINI owner is to replace the stock torque arm bushing with a stiffer version. The stock one isolates vibration from the engine way too much, and makes it harder to find that sweet spot when engaging the clutch. Of all the mods I've done on my Countryman, this is easily the best bang for the buck:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-nm-engin...nm.228860~nme/

I'd also recommend installing this clutch stop from Burger Tuning. The default clutch stop requires you to depress the clutch pedal way past the engagement point, which also makes it tougher to hit that sweet spot. With this clutch stop, the clutch starts to engage almost immediately after letting off the pedal.

http://www.burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_VW.html

Two cheap and easy mods that significantly increased my enjoyment driving the Countryman. Neither is going fix the underlying problem, which is that the clutch is undersized for the car, but they help significantly.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (09-21-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:25 AM
gns30
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcwcm2014

Fast forward to just a couple of weeks ago I found a used aftermarket exhaust for sale. I have been wanting a little more sound as the "JCW" exhaust is almost nonexistent. After the install..... all I can say is wow. The herky jerky feeling is about 95% gone. I don't know if this actually solved it but so far it has been amazing.
What exhaust did you get? I ended up ordering the clutch pedal stop and I'm going to also order the torque arm bushings to see if that helps improve things. I was trying to figure out a way to increase lower end torque or free it up I should say, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has had a tune installed if it helped!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:32 AM
jcwcm2014
Neutral
The exhaust is just a simple axle back exhaust that was custom made by a fellow mini owner near me. Essentially just a muffle delete with 3" tubing to 4" tips. But I have also deleted the resonator.

I added the clutch stop before the exhaust and while it shortens the travel of the pedal it didn't help with the stall feeling. Ps if you find a screw laying around that fits in the hole that will work also. Adjust until you find that sweet spot. Cost me $0.00.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM
soxnut1
Neutral
Has anyone looked into the "hill start assist"? Not sure what mini calls it. I have an 11S and have not found a way to turn it off. On other vehicles I have had with it I noticed it can sometimes "drag" or not let go as well. These other vehicle I have been able to turn it off also. It engages even on a very slight incline. It is supposed to hold for a few seconds then let go when you push on the accelerator.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:50 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Manual AWD Countryman are a horrible is first gear. The little 1.6 has a hard time moving it off the line. I went with lighter 19” wheels, Sprint booster, and stage 2 Tuning. Tuning changes it a ton.
I did make the mistake of putting too light is flywheel, it’s so light it can keep it self going.

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning