R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Dilemma-two dreams collide and one involves a lift kit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:45 AM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dilemma-two dreams collide and one involves a lift kit.

Everyone,

I am a new Mini Owner, had it just short of a month and it is already in the shop. I feel like a true Mini owner already.

Here is the deal. I am a fan of small, sporty AWD cars. I spend a fair amount of time in the outdoors and often get to spend lots of time on dirt and gravel roads and in snowy conditions.

My dilemma is this-my new Mini is in great condition inside and out. I love it and part of me wants to keep it close to stock. My other inclination is to buy a skid plate, lift kit etc. from M7 Speed and build the dune buggy commuter of my dreams. I assume the ride will be worse, handling will be worse but I can hurl myself down dirt country roads with abandon.

What to do? Any experience out there with lift kits?

Old 07-25-2018, 05:26 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
I get it. I guess the question is if you are going to go down dirt and gravel roads with it stock anyway?

That said, a lot of people on here have both....thats why I get it...I had those thoughts too even though we've got a FJ Cruiser for that sort of stuff. I just dont trust the Mini at all. I would never depend on it out in the woods. Adding larger tires will only make it work harder and drive worse on your way to work every day.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:03 AM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Thanks

I can't imagine why you wouldn't trust it. I've had mine a month and already have 4k in repairs (yea Warranty).

You are right about the tires. Everything is a compromise.

I am looking for someone who has done something similar in the area so I can check out the results.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:28 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
A lift kit and skid plate does not make a rally car. I've had to piece back together more subies than I care to think about that had the same idea as you.

The drivetrain angles, suspension angles, and vehicle stability programming are just a few of the things that get screwed up with a spacer lift kit. I worked for a suspension company that specialized in lift kits for trucks and Jeeps and I can tell you there is way more at play than most can handle to process.

People don't really take these into consideration but should especially since 99% of your driving will be on the street. Think of your primary use before you sacrifice comfort, safety, and reliability.

The following 2 users liked this post by downshift1:
bratling (07-26-2018), iwashmycar (07-26-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Thanks

Originally Posted by downshift1
A lift kit and skid plate does not make a rally car. I've had to piece back together more subies than I care to think about that had the same idea as you.The drivetrain angles, suspension angles, and vehicle stability programming are just a few of the things that get screwed up with a spacer lift kit. I worked for a suspension company that specialized in lift kts for trucks and Jeeps and I can tell you there is way more at play than most can handle to process.
People don't really take these into consideration but should especially since 99% of your driving will be on the street. Think of your primary use before you sacrifice comfort, safety, and reliability.
Thanks for the advice. I am likely to get just a skid plate. I spend a fair amount of time on weekends on dirt roads and love how the car drives and just what to protect it from flying rocks etc.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:57 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Protection is never a bad thing

Old 08-25-2018, 02:55 PM
havy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curious you are thinking about this, I just made some changes to my All4 with stock runflats on stock 18inch wheels. Initially I bought some BC coilovers, then tire and wheel change. I was fixed on getting some smaller wheels and larger tires for the roads I drive on, sort of rally style. So I went with 235 55 r17 on some 17X8 et35 wheels. Love the look but after purchasing everything and putting it together, I found the tire too tall and wide in the rear. So I bought a lift kit and lowered the coilovers as to fit without rub. Ride is much better than the run flats and it really takes the potholes and bad roads very well.
So in all, I can say a I kind of got a rally look. It can be achieved with the All4 without suffering ride quality. Actually, I think the ride is much better.
It's funny because I get questions like, are those rims 15's? When I tell people they are 17's they have to look again.

I like it. sorry cant post pics, but can confirm this setup works