R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 How to jack up CMS ALL4 to change a tire?

Old 06-28-2018, 03:07 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
How to jack up CMS ALL4 to change a tire?

Title says it all....and before someone says to do a search, been there done that. Still very confused! As an experienced gearhead, I must say MINI's, God Bless them, are VERY different (maybe by design as the dealers really don't want owners to do their own work!).

I have a brand new set of wheels and tires to put on our just purchased 2015 MCS ALL4, and I cannot see how to lift the thing without damaging something. I have a 2015 F56 JCW and I know how the F56 works, but this R60 is different. I cannot believe that thin metal tab is good for anything! I sure won't lift by those!

Can someone please point me in the right direction, possibly with photos so I can get to work installing these awesome new MINI wheels & tires?

I believe there may be rubber or plastic blocks to use for lifting by floor jack, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

ECS Tuning or Outmotoring have what I need?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I had to move 3 cars around to get the Countryman in the garage...now it was all for nothing...very frustrating!

I'm going to go wax and sealcoat the new wheels now!

Old 06-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I use Harbor Freight floor jack and a hockey puck. Nothing special.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ack-stand.html
Click link to see what I did. Maybe overkill but it worked for lifting the whole car. Jack that came with the car (if it did) will do the job if you want to do one at a time.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:25 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Thanks Minnie, same here...I've had an aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight for decades, and I use hockey pucks all the time. BUT, you aren't telling me where to place the puck?? :-)

Rich, I saw your rig on another thread....that's fine also, but I am still having concerns about why MINI has those oblong plastic plugs recessed right next to the raised metal piece on all 4 corners. There "MUST" be a plastic or rubber block that fits into this plug to provide a surface for lifting and to protect the metal tab....right?

I bought a recessed rubber puck from ECS Tuning, but it's way to thin to be of any use...it must be the wrong one.

So, I'm stuck for the moment...I spent the evening waxing and sealing the new MINI 18" Turbo Fan Wheels! I'd like the new wheels & tires on this weekend!...pleeeease?

Is the plastic block piece that fits into the plug in the underbody the best way to go? Outmotoring has them as far as I know....but that isn't helping me right now this weekend.

All I want to do is jack the car up enough to change wheels & tires...I'm not getting underneath or anything...seems this should be very simple, but duh? I guess I'm just dumb as a post because I'm not seeing it yet! :-)

Old 06-28-2018, 07:55 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
I used a hydraulic floor jack with a 2x4. It lifted the whole side of the car at once. Your ALL4 is certainly heavier in the back than my car, so yours may not. Since you're not going under, you could leave it on the jack, not bother with stands and change one side at a time, then repeat for other side. This picture shows where I put the 2x4. It's a boxed frame section of the unibody. Others do this too. I didn't want to risk damaging the plastic running board skirts by lifting under them.

Caution: YMMV. I am not a mechanic, just a guy trying to do some things for himself rather than pay someone else. I'm also impatient. I'm explaining what worked for me. It may not work for your car. I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your car or to yourself. Good luck.

Last edited by Rich Rodichok; 09-06-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:05 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Thanks Rich,

That makes perfect sense. I'm just not sure that your underbody looks quite like mine. I am learning as I go but my unibody looks a bit different I think. I will look again tomorrow after work. I can see definite recesses near the metal tab at all four corners. I just noticed you're from Mifflinburg! Small world as I go up there all the time! :-)

Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Cool. If you like good beer, or even just good food, be sure to stop at the Rusty Rail. Their Wolf King imperial Stout on nitro is my favorite. I work at the cabinet company next door. Next time your passing through, pm me, maybe we can talk MINIs over a 🍺

Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
Thanks Minnie, same here...I've had an aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight for decades, and I use hockey pucks all the time. BUT, you aren't telling me where to place the puck?? :-)

Unfortunately CM is at dealer for major surgery so I can't snap a picture of the spots.

Post#12 photo https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eel-drive.html

is probably where I'm lifting.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:09 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I don't know how many times I have posted this link for the same question. Open the blog and scroll down to the 28 April post "How a stud lifts a MINI...".
I've done this dozens of times to rotate tires both directional and bi-directional and to do other detailing and maintenance chores. Blimey doesn't show up anymore but his blog has other neat stuff as well.

http://www.blimeycabrio.com/2007/04/

Old 06-29-2018, 07:34 AM
snwmble
3rd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
I just bought these last month, and took 5mins to install. Just removed the rubber plugs below & popped these in using the supplied expanding pins.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-uro-part...17039760kt2kt/

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/157716149@N03/, on Flickr
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/157716149@N03/, on Flickr

Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 AM
snwmble
3rd Gear
Old 06-29-2018, 08:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
If you get the MINI version, same pad for tracking MINI sales it's a 1$ cheaper.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...r/ecs10721mkt/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-29-2018, 08:20 AM
snwmble
3rd Gear
whoops I meant to link that.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Not a problem.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-29-2018, 09:50 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I also use the 2x4 method with a hydraulic floor jack. The underbody on my R60 protrudes just like in the picture above, and that's where I put the 2x4. Never had any issues.

The following users liked this post:
Rich Rodichok (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 09:54 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Now THAT setup makes total sense! But, why doesn't MINI have something like that stock on these cars? Our Countryman has nothing installed! These shouldn't be "optional equipment" but standard on these cars.

I suppose I can get by using hockey pucks in the area where the plastic blocks insert, until I can get these blocks. I already have the metal insert part for use on my F56.

Funny though, I ordered a hockey puck looking thing from ECS Tuning with a slot in it, that ECS Tuning calls a metal seam protector for when lifting these cars, but it is totally worthless...the slot is way too shallow. I called today and they were very nice as usual, but they obviously messed up on this!

They can make it up to me when I order the blocks set. By the way, using the blocks is the "only" way to lift the Countryman on a automotive lift as far as I can see....how else could it be done?

I've seen the pic of the car on the lift with different lift points, but I'm not sure if that is correct...maybe it works since this CM surely has been lifted, but doesn't have the blocks.

VERY VERY Confusing!

Such a minor task should NOT be this complicated, REALLY!

Old 06-29-2018, 07:25 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear

Thanks for the help! I ordered the set of lift blocks and the jack adapter from ECS Tuning....they are on the way!

But, with a modified twin hockey puck setup I was able to safely jack up all 4 corners to get my new wheels & tires tonight! Just remember the rear plug area for lifting is much tighter than the front, so you will need to shave your puck to get it in there!

Our CMS ALL4 looks awesome I must say! It's amazing what a different set of wheels can do to the appearance of a car. On the Countryman the larger diameter wheels (i.e. 18") looks sooooo much better it's not even funny! WOW!

Thanks to all who offered help...and I hope it can help others in the future, because with only the plugs in the underbody most people aren't going to know how to jack up the Countryman!..and of course the Owner's Manual is the usual "0" help!

ECSTuning (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 03:26 PM
snwmble
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
Thanks for the help! I ordered the set of lift blocks and the jack adapter from ECS Tuning....they are on the way!

But, with a modified twin hockey puck setup I was able to safely jack up all 4 corners to get my new wheels & tires tonight! Just remember the rear plug area for lifting is much tighter than the front, so you will need to shave your puck to get it in there!

Our CMS ALL4 looks awesome I must say! It's amazing what a different set of wheels can do to the appearance of a car. On the Countryman the larger diameter wheels (i.e. 18") looks sooooo much better it's not even funny! WOW!

Thanks to all who offered help...and I hope it can help others in the future, because with only the plugs in the underbody most people aren't going to know how to jack up the Countryman!..and of course the Owner's Manual is the usual "0" help!

glad and to help out. I agree this is something that should’ve came from the factory with this. I guess it was a cost reduction to not include them esp since the holes are there for them.

ECSTuning (07-02-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 02:29 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
The blocks are all installed! Easy job, but they should have been there from the factory! Now, it will be easy to change a tire on the road if I get a flat! Also important, there are 4 solid lift points when on an automotive lift...no more mysteries!

The following 2 users liked this post by 02fanatic:
ECSTuning (07-10-2018), pjsjr13 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 04:17 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
I've installed the jack pads and have the jack adapter (thanks ECSTuning). They work great for lifting one corner, as when I flushed the brake lines the other day. But I haven't yet put the CMS on jack stands. I have standard stands (Torin Big Red) with the Y-shaped top, though not a deep Y. The tops don't fit in the jack pads. None of the images I've seen show how to use jack stands with the pads. So what's the correct way to place the stands? Can an edge of the pad rest on the stand without breaking? Am interested in others' experiences. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:56 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
In the old days when MINIs used to come with those jack pads by default, I'd put the jack stands perpendicular to the jack pad and center it before letting the car down. I wouldn't recommend resting just one side of the jack pad on your jack stand, that sounds dangerous.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:12 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
You can lift it using the factory jack points.... I did it with mine. Now with that said, I was nervous as hell the whole time! The seams , well, seem really flimsy and look like it’s not even worth trying, but that’s where they are designed to be lifted without the lift pads. (They absolutely should come installed from the factory on every single one). It’s kinda nerve wracking, but it does work.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:16 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by dmath
I've installed the jack pads and have the jack adapter (thanks ECSTuning). They work great for lifting one corner, as when I flushed the brake lines the other day. But I haven't yet put the CMS on jack stands. I have standard stands (Torin Big Red) with the Y-shaped top, though not a deep Y. The tops don't fit in the jack pads. None of the images I've seen show how to use jack stands with the pads. So what's the correct way to place the stands? Can an edge of the pad rest on the stand without breaking? Am interested in others' experiences. Thanks.

Welcome, you can use a jack stad with our ECS Tuning jack stand pad (fits those feet) or a floor jack with that, make sure you always use a jack stand before going under the MINI, dont just use a jack only.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:33 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Welcome, you can use a jack stad with our ECS Tuning jack stand pad (fits those feet) or a floor jack with that, make sure you always use a jack stand before going under the MINI, dont just use a jack only.
I’ve already installed pads on my car. Are you saying that there’s a adapter that will fit on my jack stands? Or different pads to Pluto my car? Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R60 How to jack up CMS ALL4 to change a tire?