R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Where do you get your oil changed?

Old 10-31-2017, 06:42 AM
sgogo
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you get your oil changed?

Hi! I am new to the Mini world. I just bought a used 2014 Mini Countryman S after my car flooded in Harvey. It is so fun to drive! I have a ton of questions but my first one would be where do you get your oil changed? The dealership? Or can I take it to a regular oil change place? Please let me know your opinion!

Thanks!

Sarah

Old 10-31-2017, 07:13 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
No dealership and no 'oil change' chain store. Locate your friendly neighborhood MINI independent shop and make real good friends with them. The logic: Dealerships throw new parts at problems and hope that fixes it. Oil change chains are notorious for not crossing all the T's. A good reliable indie will analyze problems and fix the source and do everything they can to make you a happy customer.
If you need help finding one, let the world know where you are and someone will step in.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I still take the out of warranty car to the dealer for oil changes as they are the best deal in town. I use an indy shop for other repairs as needed unless it coincides with oil change and priced reasonable. The dealer seems to be trying harder to keep the service business and did some extra work without charge (shocking) for labor.

Quick lube places are NO!

Old 10-31-2017, 07:31 AM
CzyKats44
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 with Fly'n and Minnie. Whatever you decide a Quick lube place is a big no.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 PM
sgogo
Neutral
Ok great! I really appreciate it, I didn't even know those existed and I found like 5 of them near me. Going to get some quotes and look up the reviews before I pick one.

Thank you!

Old 11-02-2017, 03:26 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
On my maintenance plan at the dealership.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:58 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Here is a site that lists independent MINI repair shops all over the US.

https://www.minirepairshops.com/

The following users liked this post:
CzyKats44 (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Here is a site that lists independent MINI repair shops all over the US.

https://www.minirepairshops.com/
If you do any cross country tour type motoring, that is a good website to have on your instant gratification device just in case.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I do mine in the driveway..

*between not being able to read the oil level very well and most shops not being able to figure out the right air and oil filter to use.. I don't take chances. I also refuse to pay for little service items from dealership..when they inflate the price of OEM beyond premium aftermarket.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by cornjuice
I do mine in the driveway..

*between not being able to read the oil level very well and most shops not being able to figure out the right air and oil filter to use.. I don't take chances. I also refuse to pay for little service items from dealership..when they inflate the price of OEM beyond premium aftermarket.

I agree with cornjuice ... I have always done my own. I want to know what actually goes in, since I do it I can spend for the quality parts .. when it comes to the lube and cooling of my equipment, I want to actually see what comes out to determine what is actually happening in the engine.

Before my wife and I married, she had her car turned in and I found they didn't change the filter (old rust on the edges) and I was questioning if they actually change the oil .. or the oil was so screwed up it polluted the new. After I changed it and maintained it, never came out looking 5 years old.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:27 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Doing it yourself isn’t difficult. Hardest part is getting to the filter, after a couple of times and the right tools, you can do your oil change in 15-20 minutes.

The first 2 tries will probably take you 30 minutes

Old 11-04-2017, 08:02 AM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I do anything and everything on my own that doesn't involve having to deal with the computer. I have major trust issues with the auto repair & maintenance industry haha.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Do our own. It is too easy not to!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 PM
cjsdad
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPMini
I do anything and everything on my own that doesn't involve having to deal with the computer. I have major trust issues with the auto repair & maintenance industry haha.
I have trust issues as well. I checked price on the local Valvoline oil change location where I take the work truck and they would charge $100 to change my oil. After the first and second oil change on my own in the garage it only takes 20 minutes or so. The first two oil changes came out like black crude after 3K miles so I kept at it and now it comes out looking like normal oil. Dark but not like crude.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
I do mine at the Dealership because I still have free oil changes.. (except the one time I did not have time, I did it myself). I do all my own work generally. On my previous car (the one I traded in for the 17 Clubman S ALL4) I extracted the oil via the dipstick tube, usually managed to pull out 8 of the 9 quarts, every other oil change I did under the car, but draining the oil cooler was always a pain (that is where the 1 quart is I could not siphon out). The filter was on top of the engine, so changing the oil, even in my work suits was easy and clean Can't say the same for the Mini.. seriously.. no dipstick... *sigh*. I am not a fan of electronic oil measurement system...

The only problem I had was finding filters, the usual suspects (Autozone and the like) did not have filters for the Mini, I had to get it from the dealer. Oil, I get from Walmart, can pick up a 5 quart jug of Mobile 1 for around $30

Old 11-18-2017, 07:20 AM
sgogo
Neutral
I can't really do my own due to Harvey I'm living in an apartment without tools, space, etc. Maybe once our house is done being renovated I will learn how! I found a place from the independent shops and I have an appointment next week. It will cost me $83 plus tax. Not too bad.

Sarah

Old 11-19-2017, 07:43 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
with a set of cheap ramps you can do the oil change in a parking spot, along with the extension and socket for the oil filter housing and an 8mm hex for the drain plug.. save your 80$ to know its done correctly.

*the price most shops charge for a single oil change is enough to purchase your own ramps, 5qt oil pan and filter

Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
with a set of cheap ramps you can do the oil change in a parking spot, along with the extension and socket for the oil filter housing and an 8mm hex for the drain plug.. save your 80$ to know its done correctly.

*the price most shops charge for a single oil change is enough to purchase your own ramps, 5qt oil pan and filter
Every Apartment complex I have lived at (past, now I own a house), and everyone my friends have lived it, have strict no wrenching (which includes oil changes) in the parking lot :(

Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 AM
minimontes
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if there isnt an otion for DIY- take it to the dealership- DONT TAKE IT TO WALMARET OR SEARS OR JIFFY LUBE youll pay nearly as much and it probably wont be the standard mini wants, also if anything happens after mini does it its on them and they have great customer service.

if you are a DIY'er- ECSTuning has great DIY kits- Liquimoly, OEM filter and an ECSTUNING magnetic plug for a great price.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:15 AM
spikeyadrian
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I always do mine myself.
Easy job and if I do it, I know it's done right!
Plus, I like to do it every 12 months/5000 miles as I have a JCW.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:36 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by spikeyadrian
I always do mine myself.
Easy job and if I do it, I know it's done right!
Plus, I like to do it every 12 months/5000 miles as I have a JCW.
Dam, 5000 miles for me is 3 maybe 4 months

Search this Thread