R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Need some info please

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Need some info please

Just got this car. Plan on doing what ever it takes to break it in properly. March or April of next year I plan on taking it for just under a 5,000 round trip in a 3 week period from the Nashville area to the west coast and back.

Has anyone done something like this ?
What was your problems ?
Longest drive before you called it a day ?
Engine problems ?

Any info would help lots .....

Old 09-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Will this be a get there by interstate trip or road less traveled meander? I'm sure you've read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' at some point. Made that meander trip just two years ago, totaled just short of 7K miles with only one hiccup at high altitude in Yosemite when it dropped into limp mode then evened out on the down side. No other issues after that. From TN I'd sure consider taking as much of rt 66 as possible once you get across AR.
Only thing we had extra besides the tire kit was a qt of oil and lunch money.
Once on the coast, we'd strongly recommend a stop in San Simeon to visit the Hurst mansion. It'll blow you away.

PS: My longest day behind the wheel was on another shorter trip but it was right at 14 hours with two stops to refuel us and the car. Got home with no feeling of fatigue. That was on the backroads down the middle of MO and halfway across KS.

The following users liked this post:
AnOldBiker (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
since the car is new, ask the dealer what they recommend.

AnOldBiker (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 AM
AnOldBiker
I know the routes like the back of my hand, I lived there for 39 years before moving here when retired. Our grandkids are there and we see them each year. Plus I take the wife a different route on the way back if the weather permits.

This year we wanted to take them to Catalina for a couple days, lounge around, fishing and such.

Normally I take my Dodge truck with it's Cummins and have plenty of power, with a larger main and an in bed tank, plenty of range. But cost like buying a house. Wanted to try the Mini and even with using premium, should cost way less.

Until now, haven't read anything from anyone on the pros and cons for this type of trip. Thanks for the info, hope more chime in with info ... I'd really like to know !

Old 09-08-2017, 07:25 AM
AnOldBiker
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
since the car is new, ask the dealer what they recommend.

When I asked the salesman, then the service department, they said I'll be fine, just to the normal maintenance as recommended by Mini.

But I've learned way more from actual owners of the pros, cons and what to look for .. in the past verses the dealers.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
I'll take a shot in the dark and guess that you pay close attention to regular service items and such on all your vehicles. Mine gets regular care from a fantastic indie shop for it's periodic 'turn your head and cough' treatments so we have absolute confidence in any long distance road trips. Most of the problems that show up on forums are very rare when considering the number of type on the road. Just make sure all your service items are up to date and enjoy the ride.
We're beginning to plan a major adventure for next spring that, so far, is up to 6.2K miles and have no qualms taking our li'l 11 year old bundle of fun along.

PS: If you're going thru Memphis, you've gotta stop by Gus's for the best fried chicken in the world.

AnOldBiker (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:54 PM
AnOldBiker
Yes, the last truck I got rid of was when I retired. It never went in for the 1st 7.5k inspection nor had its heads removed. I took care of it from day one. When I gave it to the neighbor kid to help him get on his feet for work, it had 400k and ran great. (I miss her)

I only have an issue with Mini that you can't buy a factory service manual. 1st vehicle I ever had without a FSM in my garage.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I don't think you will have any big issues on a 5K run with that car. Seems like those engines are pretty good. Our 2016 with that engine has not had any issues in 8,000 miles so far, beyond software update recently.

Worlds best Fried chicken in Memphis is way too far for me to travel. Send me a bucket full and I'll tell you if you are right Fly'n Brick.

AnOldBiker (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Worlds best Fried chicken in Memphis is way too far for me to travel. Send me a bucket full and I'll tell you if you are right Fly'n Brick.
I don't know if I'd trust Brinks to deliver it safely.

AnOldBiker (09-08-2017)