R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 R60 Countryman Base power

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:17 AM
Adrian Valverde
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question R60 Countryman Base power

You cannot imagine how much information there is on what to modify on your MINI for better performance.

I started 2 weeks ago searching here, google and my local speed shop and have summarized the following:

You should have gotten the S model haha.

Get the Sprintbooster
Are all sprintbooster built the same? Are the MINI specific overpriced because they are catering to a niche group? Will other boosters work as well?

Remap the ECU
From what I have gathered is that this wont give a base model a whole lot of power for the money involved but is still worthy to do. Ive seen many youtube videos of ECU modification that go from simply attaching some new electronic devices to removing components from under the hood. So there is still a lot to chew on this topic.

Reset the ECU back to factory settings
Resetting the ECU on the MINI by toggling through some menus on the dash will allow your car to relearn your driving style.
The instructions on our forums seem to be for anything 2012 and under. The menus I get are different. Does anyone know the sequence to access these menus on a 2014 R60?

Replacing the air intake
The popular opinion here is that the stock intake is the best unless you want to make more noise. However some claim that upgrading the housing is a good move.

I should add that Im not a speed demon I just want my Countryman to go a little faster.

If anyone could chime in I would greatly appreciate it.
Also I ordered an aftermarket SAT/NAV that I will hopefully archive some reviews here since there seems to be only a handful of threads about.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:42 AM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My understanding is that an ECU flash is the best bang for the buck mod. Other good gainers (at least as they are discussed) that I can think of off the top of my head are intercooler and cam. A bigger turbo should logically give you more power, but would probably require a tune, as well. I'd probably look into bigger injectors if I was going to a larger turbo. People also talk a lot about meth injection kits, but rarely see any discussion about real world, measurable gains with that. All those discussions seem to revolve around the cooling properties, and how that will increase horsepower, but never seem to talk about the actual HP numbers.

More intense mods that will always help include port and polish and bore-over. But that's some pretty advance stuff, there.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by HasAnMTBProblem
My understanding is that an ECU flash is the best bang for the buck mod. Other good gainers (at least as they are discussed) that I can think of off the top of my head are intercooler and cam. A bigger turbo should logically give you more power, but would probably require a tune, as well. I'd probably look into bigger injectors if I was going to a larger turbo. People also talk a lot about meth injection kits, but rarely see any discussion about real world, measurable gains with that. All those discussions seem to revolve around the cooling properties, and how that will increase horsepower, but never seem to talk about the actual HP numbers.

More intense mods that will always help include port and polish and bore-over. But that's some pretty advance stuff, there.
R60 base does not have Turbo.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:48 AM
Adrian Valverde
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HasAnMTBProblem

i dont have a Turbo unfortunatley, what do you know about "flashing" ECU's? I see all the Hondas around town with stickers that say something like "Tune this" or "Space Tuning- whatever" I am assuming this is done in the garage at home with a laptop or is this something you have to bring it into a professional garage for?

Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Adrian Valverde
1st Gear
Update:
I just got back from the local Dyno/Speed Shop.
Talked to a really cool guy who entertained questions for about a half hour.
He states that a lot of the ECU flash maps programmers or whatever are mostly for the S models and couldnt find anything for the Countryman Base.

His advice was to at the minimum get a new KNN filter and if you(I) have the money for it, do something he called Cat-Back, which he explained is replacing or modifying the exhaust and some other things.

He also said I wouldn't see a major improvement with an ECU Flash but if I come across anything online to send it to him to check it. He warned about anything on craigslist or ebay, of course.

Anyways, its back to the drawing board.

Anyone following this can expect an update as soon as I find something worthy. For the meantime we can all take a slow ride out in our non S models to the park.

pic related

Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
You will find quite a few posts / threads on CAT back. Sharp looking Countryman. Enjoy.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with a non turbo. NA engines take a lot of work to increase HP. Exhaust might make it sound better but only good for a few HP. Quality air filter always a good idea. I'd aim more towards handling with the model you have. A Rear sway bar, non runflat tires and if you want to drop about $1000 go for coilovers.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:07 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Countryman R series is a most unloved car for mods. The base model is even worse in that regard. Your best bet is going slow until you finally decide to move up to an S model or something entirely different. A new panel filter like K&N will not really do much other than make you feel like you did something.

If you move into the F series, then a base 3 cylinder is another ballgame. It moves pretty well and you have some speed up options like a Dinan or other chip.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Adrian Valverde
1st Gear
Thanks for all the replies,

The only reason I wanted to venture into doing something to my Countryman was because my wife is expecting. I probably wont have the cash for anything I want for a while but I think I'll save it and a few years down the line I go nuts and grab a JCW...

a man can dream.....

Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 AM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Apologies. I read it as "Base power for Countryman."