R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Software Update 2017 Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:03 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Software Update 2017 Countryman

I had my 2017 Countryman S in the dealer service department for the "second date" this morning and they told me I needed to schedule another visit (~4 hours) for a software update. The car is a month old. They didn't say what was being updated, but I suspect it is just bug fixes. They will give me a loaner when I schedule the visit.

One thing I wish could be updated in the head up display - add the tach to the speed indication. The new JCW Countryman cars will have this feature, so it is probably just a software issue. If not with this update, maybe later....

I really like the head up display - it is particularly useful when navigating to a destination - you don't have to look down at the main display. It doesn't work with polarized sunglasses, though. I have stopped using my sunglasses in the car now.

David

Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 PM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HamsterDR
I had my 2017 Countryman S in the dealer service department for the "second date" this morning and they told me I needed to schedule another visit (~4 hours) for a software update. The car is a month old. They didn't say what was being updated, but I suspect it is just bug fixes. They will give me a loaner when I schedule the visit.

One thing I wish could be updated in the head up display - add the tach to the speed indication. The new JCW Countryman cars will have this feature, so it is probably just a software issue. If not with this update, maybe later....

I really like the head up display - it is particularly useful when navigating to a destination - you don't have to look down at the main display. It doesn't work with polarized sunglasses, though. I have stopped using my sunglasses in the car now.

David
Interesting. Has anyone else had this scheduled or done? Anyone have more info on the update and the old and new version numbers?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
I'm going to schedule the work for next Monday and see what they say about it when the work is done. My guess is that the dealer will have no information about what is being updated, but maybe they will know something. My guess is that no features are going to be changed, but I will see if I notice anything after the update.

I still don't understand why this takes four hours. I am used to running massive computer OS updates in an hour or less. Maybe the USB connection is too slow.

I'll report back if I notice anything.

David

Old 04-27-2017, 08:09 AM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
I'm going to schedule the work for next Monday and see what they say about it when the work is done. My guess is that the dealer will have no information about what is being updated, but maybe they will know something. My guess is that no features are going to be changed, but I will see if I notice anything after the update.

I still don't understand why this takes four hours. I am used to running massive computer OS updates in an hour or less. Maybe the USB connection is too slow.

I'll report back if I notice anything.

David
Can you perhaps note here the version numbers of software and navigation that are displayed? This way after the update, the before and after version numbers can be compared.

I'm supposed to pick up my new 2017 F60 today! Finally. I just called the dealer and asked them to check with the service department to see if there are any software updates that need to be performed. It'd be nice to have the 4 hour update done prior to getting the vehicle if one is needed.

Thanks
-Jason

Old 04-27-2017, 09:40 AM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Software

I'm at the dealer picking up mine now.

My current software version under "System Settings > Software Update > Show Current Version" shows :
Telephone: TB-005.010.002
Media: MB-005.010.002

​​​​For NAV "Navigation > Settings > Position and Software Version > Software Version" shows
​​ BMW Group 111162.3.213
Road Map NORTH AMERICA EVO 2017-1

I'm not sure if this is just media versions and if there is other software that gets updated for other controls. 4 hours to update only the media systems seems long.

Take care
Jason

Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
You got a later car than me. Mine was built 1/30/17.

My software versions are:

Telephone TB-005.002.001
Media MB-005.002.001
Navigation map is EVO 2016-4 and the system is 111161.3.214.

I'm going to see if they will update my map too - it's out of date already.

David

Last edited by HamsterDR; 04-27-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Add NAV version
Old 04-27-2017, 02:05 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Interesting...there aren't any bulletins about a software update for the F60 that I'm aware of. Don't get too hung up on who has what software. Updates are usually released a few times a year and are typically bug fixes. Dealers will not usually perform an update unless you are having problems as sometimes an update can cause more problems than it solves. 3-4 hours is pretty normal for the update.

Nav software is separate and is usually updated via a USB flash drive. I'm not sure what dealer policy is if you bought a new car with outdated maps if they will update them for you or not. Typically map updates are $150 and are released 2-3 times a year.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:32 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
I have a Monday morning appointment which is listed as "Control Units Program Recall" - so it seems this is more than an "update". I have asked about whether they will update my Maps too but have not heard back. I'm going to press them on that. If the Map had been a few months old I would not bother, but something that is effectively a year old now is a different issue.

David

Old 04-28-2017, 02:38 PM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
I have a Monday morning appointment which is listed as "Control Units Program Recall" - so it seems this is more than an "update". I have asked about whether they will update my Maps too but have not heard back. I'm going to press them on that. If the Map had been a few months old I would not bother, but something that is effectively a year old now is a different issue.

David
Thanks for the name of the recall. If you put your VIN at http://www.miniusa.com/recall, does the recall show up? That'd be good because then others that received theirs earlier can check if they haven't received notification from MINI or their dealer yet.

Your NAV map is only one release (one quarter) behind so it's not really that old. 2016-4 refers to 4th quarter of 2016, not April 2016. My 2017-1 refers to 1st quarter of 2017. It's good try to get them to update it, but I wouldn't get stressed over it.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:56 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Thanks for the clarification - I thought 2016-4 was last April! I'm not worried about 3 months. If I get that update it will just be a bonus - and an interesting test of how customer oriented MINI is.

When I got my 2013 Paceman, the maps were incomplete. The new terminal at McCarran was missing, the new Downtown Summerlin mall wasn't included, etc. I updated that myself using the code I bought from the guy who used to provide that on this site.

The MINI price to update has gone down ($150?) now and you can get the code for much less on eBay, so after a year or so I will consider updating. The new navigation system is much nicer now and the display actually labels streets (the 2013 Paceman system left most of the map unlabeled). The Mini Connected app is nice for entering destinations, and I found it automatically starts navigation for anything found in my iPhone calendar. (Hard to turn that off though - coming back from the dealer we stopped to get coffee and when I started up it wanted to guide me back to the dealer! I'm getting good at cancelling guidance. )

Oh, I checked and there are no safety recalls for my car.

David

Last edited by HamsterDR; 04-28-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added recall check info
Old 04-28-2017, 03:30 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I may have spoke too soon - there is a service action out for the F60 as well as some other 3rd gen MINIs where the DME does not diagnose certain faults correctly and a software update fixes the problem. It doesn't affect all 3rd gen MINIs though. I'm assuming this is what your service department is referring to, but your Repair Order will tell you for sure (S IM 12 02 17 is the bulletin).

It's not a recall in that no immediate action is required - a service action just means that the next time your car is in the shop, it will flag it for the update. Some dealerships are a little more proactive than others though.

Originally Posted by TheJuice
Thanks for the name of the recall. If you put your VIN at http://www.miniusa.com/recall, does the recall show up? That'd be good because then others that received theirs earlier can check if they haven't received notification from MINI or their dealer yet.

Your NAV map is only one release (one quarter) behind so it's not really that old. 2016-4 refers to 4th quarter of 2016, not April 2016. My 2017-1 refers to 1st quarter of 2017. It's good try to get them to update it, but I wouldn't get stressed over it.
Map changes are usually pretty minor unless you navigate to a newer development or there is major construction going on that actually changes the roads. For example, here in Seattle, one of the bridges going into the city was being rebuilt and was finally completed last year. Older map versions will show your car being a few yards over in the water as you drive across! Same path, but slightly off...

Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
I had the update done this morning. It took less than three hours and the repair order was listed as SIM 12 02 17.

My version numbers are now:

TB-005-012-001
MB-005-012-001

Navigation (software) is now shown as 111161.3.214 but the map is still 2016-4. Never heard back from my MA about getting the maps updated too.

David

Old 08-24-2017, 07:05 AM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Anyone know of release notes for the F60 software versions. I'm sure the changes are minor but MINI updated my software last week so I'm curious.

My original software version (March 2017 build) under "System Settings > Software Update > Show Current Version" shows :
Telephone: TB-005.010.002
Media: MB-005.010.002

After last week's update, now it is
Telephone: TB-006.001.044
Media: MB-006.001.044

Thanks

Old 08-24-2017, 10:30 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
It seems like with all my Minis when they would go in for service they would do a software upgrade and the car would never drive the same. The performance always seemed to get worse... hated that.