R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Mini Connected Controller/Joystick Stopped Working

Old 01-12-2017, 07:50 AM
mcnjsh
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Mini Connected Controller/Joystick Stopped Working

I have tried and tried to search this forum and the web for other instances of this but as of yet I have had no luck.

The joystick in the center console that controls the MINI Connected system in the dash has stopped working in my 2013 Countryman S. Twisting the **** (lol) does nothing and neither does pushing it side-to-side. The button action when you press down on it does register on screen.

Stopped by my local stealer, I mean dealer, and they said it'd cost about $550 bucks to replace. Of course my warranty just expired several months ago. This car is starting to fall apart on me now. I have had several other issues lately with the interior deteriorating. Very disappointing quality.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any ideas on cheaper options to fix it?

The following users liked this post:
emvee (08-06-2018)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Is this the part? https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/, I don't have it so unfamiliar with it. You can search realoem.com for parts.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
remove the center council you can find steps online, it's very simple. And check to see if it's plugged in still, if it is take a multimeter and make sure it's getting power to the plug. If it is I'd guess the switch just went bad. If that's the case call a junkyard or search car-parts.com I just retrofitted oem nav and mini connected in my 2011 and I bouht the center council cover, the joysticks controls, and sport button controls for 50 bucks. Do not, I mean do not go to the dealer and spend that.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Our joystick has been working on and off in our 2013 Countryman that we purchased in July. Sometimes it starts working again when the car is shut down and restarted. yesterday it wouldn't work after a restart. I gave it a bot of a firmer shove down and it started working again: I could cycle through the options by rotating the joystick. I'm wondering if there is dust / dirt / goop inside the unit that it causing issues. I'm also wondering if humidity has anything to do with it.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:12 AM
emvee
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Mine stopped working today same as mcnjsh.
Looking for instructions on how to remove center console.
I'm going to the stealership tomorrow for a new turbo under extended warranty.
and I think my warranty covers the joystick control module under electrical as it is a mechanical switch
which my contract states is covered.
Probably have to order the part and make a second 172 mile roundtrip.
He is 5 years old and I believe parts can fail in that amount of time
Especially the joystick which is used extensively every time I drive him.

2013 R60 JCW

Last edited by emvee; 08-06-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:21 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
That sounds like a major PITA. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

emvee (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:43 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by emvee
Mine stopped working today same as mcnjsh.
Looking for instructions on how to remove center console.
I don’t know if you will have any luck finding how to remove the console, but some of the vendors here, like ECS and Pelican, just to name two, have some great how-to articles. Even if they are for the R56/58 the platform is very similar and the engine is the same (mostly) and even if there are a few small differences, the similarities are obvious. And I’ve found that most can be adapted to the R60 using a little common sense. Also check out you tube for tutorials as well, just watch more than one, in case the person isn’t as good as they think ��
Good luck

emvee (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:09 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I remember in the old days BMW produced Factory Workshop Manuals that lowley car owners could actually purchase through the dealer parts department! Those manuals explained everything about a particular model complete with photos. Who said progress is great? What any of us wound give for a workshop manual for the R60! 😉 ...or any MINI for that matter.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:30 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Yeah, a manual for the R60 specifically would be a dream! Even things like the Bentley manual don’t have the Countryman. The best we can do is find info for an N18 MCS and wing it, lol. I’m used to having a few available for every other car I’ve owned, but when I got my Mini I was really surprised at the lack of resources like that. I don’t know if BMW just wants to keep that info in-house to prevent the backyard mechanics from undercutting repair $$ or what.... but it is certainly frustrating trying to find info sometimes. If it wasn’t for those how-to’s and you tube videos, I would have already blown a LOT more $ than I have so far, purely on labor charges. And on top of it all, I’m the kind of guy who likes to take things apart and see how they work. And since I was a kid, I’ve always tried to do the majority of my own maintenance and repairs. I would LOVE to see some material become available for the R60’s

Old 08-07-2018, 01:39 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Check the plug harness, might be a pin out issues or something before you replace.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-number.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Search this Thread