R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Replacing the clutch in our CMS All4

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:37 AM
bro_hof
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
check car-part.com for the TC. should be cheaper in there
Yep, my $864 included shipping so it comes right in line with what car-part.com is offering. Hate that a used part is still so expensive!

Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 AM
Burch_12
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started this job this week and now I'm stuck at pulling the sub frame due to the power steering not coming apart from the steering column. I've loosened the nut but it will not come out. Do you guys have any tips or tricks on how to accomplish this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:43 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same problem so I just removed the steering rack from the subframe and tied it up.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Burch_12
Neutral
Well moved past the steering column and now onto pulling transfer case and transmission. I removed Circlip after breaking 2 pairs of snap ring pliers so I used a pair of needle nose and a screw driver. But now I cannot get the slined shaft out. Then onto the tranny, How/what am I suppose to do to get the tranny out? I know I need to disconnect the shift linkage but I can't get it. Any tips? Also how do i remove the tranny mount or whats the best/easiest method for removing it? Any help would be much appreciated thanks ahead of time.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
I think life will be easier if you pull the axle shafts out. then you will have enough space to push/slide the transfer case to the side. the cleanest way is to remove the fuse-DME bracket and get the trans mount bracket out. if i remember correctly, the hex nut is size 50mm (http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...72.m2749.l2658) i fought with this nut outside and couldnt move it. maybe while TC is still attached, you'll have more luck loosing it. use torch carefully if needed to help it move.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 PM
r60CooperTrooper
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone have any tips for getting the transfer case back into the transmission? i have everything back together except that. it is slid most of the way into the trans, but i have maybe another inch to go and it will not budge. any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:47 PM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it essential to replace the propeller shaft inlay nut? Totally bad to use Red loctite and reuse? Nut threads look good, looks to be undamaged.
Trying to get a car out of the shop on a deadline, would take more time than I have to procure the nut... :(

Old 03-03-2019, 02:24 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
How did you get the lower control arm out. I tried hammering it with a mullet but wont budge :impatient :
Originally Posted by grussell
I removed the ball joint from the wheel spindle with a small chisel to work it out. There was a lot of corrosion. This methods does not damage the ball joint.
I was unable to loosen the two bolts that hold the ball joint bracket in place. So, I ended up using a 2 prong joint puller. It was able to get just enough purchase on the control arm to run an impact gun on it to break it loose.

For the tie rod, I was able to just thread the nut on backwards just to the top of the joint threads and wack it with a BFH. It came right out with two strikes. No damage to threads.

Last edited by HasAnMTBProblem; 03-03-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:28 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Don't tell anybody, but I used a pipe wrench on the driveshaft nut and big channel lock pliers on the transfer case. When I pulled on the pipe wrench the channel lock wedged in place on the sub-frame. It sounds rudimentary, but worked. Replace the nut and your good to go.
I used a big adjustable wrench on the nut and held the drive shaft with a huge set of channel locks. Gave the scratches a coat of Rustoleum Rust Preventer when I put everything back together. The channel locks wanted to slip, but you can use the chassis to brace the pliers against to give extra grip strength.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:30 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bro_hof
How'd you get the transfer case to come clear of the transmission? I got mine about 90% of the way out and then the transfer case ran into the lower control arm. I really want to avoid pulling the transmission to get the dang transfer case out. I'm just replacing the transfer case in my '12 CM as it's humming and leaking.
Yeah, it was necessary for me to remove the transfer case brace and intermediate shaft to get the transfer case out.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:34 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by All4vin
Are you guys removing the circlip with splined shaft first as shown in the third image?
Originally Posted by Burch_12
Well moved past the steering column and now onto pulling transfer case and transmission. I removed Circlip after breaking 2 pairs of snap ring pliers so I used a pair of needle nose and a screw driver. But now I cannot get the slined shaft out. Then onto the tranny, How/what am I suppose to do to get the tranny out? I know I need to disconnect the shift linkage but I can't get it. Any tips? Also how do i remove the tranny mount or whats the best/easiest method for removing it? Any help would be much appreciated thanks ahead of time.
I also broke two sets of tips for my clip pliers. I ended up using an old allen key of the same size. I cut it into two 1 inch long pieces, shaped and notched the DIY tips so they would quit slipping off the circlip. Even that was only good enough to get the end of the circlip started. From there, a small flat head screwdriver made easy work of getting it back out.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:55 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Burch_12
Started this job this week and now I'm stuck at pulling the sub frame due to the power steering not coming apart from the steering column. I've loosened the nut but it will not come out. Do you guys have any tips or tricks on how to accomplish this? Any help would be much appreciated.
I had the same problem so I just removed the steering rack from the subframe and tied it up.
I fought with the steering column too, until it literally just came apart on its own. I then understood exactly what I was doing wrong.

After you have the bolt out, all you have to do is swing the knuckle away from the steering box input shaft. Don't try to pull it apart. There is a lip that prevents the knuckle from separating in the event the bolt comes loose for some reason.

Last edited by HasAnMTBProblem; 03-03-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:03 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mod-Mini
Is it essential to replace the propeller shaft inlay nut? Totally bad to use Red loctite and reuse? Nut threads look good, looks to be undamaged.
Trying to get a car out of the shop on a deadline, would take more time than I have to procure the nut... :(
Hmmm, interesting. I completely missed that warning when I did mine. The threads had no thread locking residue on them. I reassembled with original nut and no thread lock. Someone please let me know if this is a real danger, or if it's one of those liability avoidance steps that manufacturers invoke.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:08 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gdmaddog
Are you replacing with an OEM clutch or is there something more robust in the aftermarket?
I replaced mine with the Clutchmasters FX100 single mass setup, per recommendation from a Mini expert that I really like and have used a bunch to have work done and to call for help when I'm DIYing. I can say that I like it a lot more. The engagement has a more positive feel but doesn't feel all grabby, or herky jerky like the OEM one did. It's a slightly lighter flywheel, too, which I can notice under certain circumstances. The engine just feels a little freer at times.

One thing I will say is that there is the slightest bit of clutch rattle here an there, but it's barely noticeable.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanr60 (05-04-2020)
Old 03-03-2019, 03:29 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
FYI, this is the engine support setup I landed on. Turns out it works great as a support for the radiator core support while in installation mode, too.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM
grussell
4th Gear
I ended up reusing the nut and have put about 30,000 miles on the car since with no issues.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:55 PM
grussell
4th Gear
I screwed two big hooks into the ceiling joist and then used tie down straps to support the front end and engine.

Brandon Pratt (04-12-2021)
Old 03-05-2019, 04:05 AM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
I ended up reusing the nut and have put about 30,000 miles on the car since with no issues.
Did you use loctite?

Old 03-05-2019, 07:32 AM
grussell
4th Gear
No, just made sure it was tight. I checked it about 2 months ago and it was still tight.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:53 AM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
No, just made sure it was tight. I checked it about 2 months ago and it was still tight.
ok, thanks. Based on how hard it was to get off, and how it got tighter with each turn on reassembly, it seemed like using red Loctite wouldn't be a great idea if you ever wanted to get it back off again

Old 01-16-2020, 06:02 AM
Joshua Nicoara
Neutral
Originally Posted by Puma|Mini
Just had my 2015 R60 clutch replaced by the dealer (20k miles on the dot). Apparently this is STILL an issue...
What did that cost you?

Old 01-16-2020, 07:09 AM
bro_hof
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just replaced mine in my garage at home...it was a PITA but I got it done. The clutch actually still had some meat left on it, however the throwout bearing seized and the clutch fork bent so it all got replaced while it was apart. All this happened at 130k, I bet the clutch had another 50k left in it. Went with the Valeo clutch kit for around $200, didn't replace the flywheel. The OE clutch in it I saw was a Valeo as well and it looked exactly the same as what I put in it.

Urbanr60 (05-04-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 08:21 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshua Nicoara
What did that cost you?
This persons post was over 3 years ago, and they have been gone that long as well.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:44 AM
timmer77
Neutral
Hi grussell,

I am new to mini and new to this forum. Did you ever put together a step by step on what you did for this clutch thread? I am considering attempting it with the 2014 R61 I just bought. The clutch is slipping at high RPMs.

Thanks!
timmer77

Old 04-24-2023, 02:15 PM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have any specific questions: Job is same as regular R56 except for:

Remove heat shields
Remove driveshaft at transfer case end (giant nut with reverse threads)
Remove front axles
Remove transfer case circlip for right axle stub and pull out of transfer case
Unbolt and remove transfer case

Quick Reply: R60 Replacing the clutch in our CMS All4