R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Borla S-type vs Megan Racing cat back

Old 08-01-2016, 07:41 PM
felix_434
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Borla S-type vs Megan Racing cat back

Looking at both cat back exhausts. The Borla S-type (more aggressive) exhaust sounds pretty loud, and the Megan is a tick louder than stock. However I'm planning on a cat less downpipe, 2nd cat, & res delete. Would the less expensive Megan racing exhaust sound about right with the listed above? Does anyone know hp gains with either?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:15 AM
JuanTheHuman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by felix_434
Looking at both cat back exhausts. The Borla S-type (more aggressive) exhaust sounds pretty loud, and the Megan is a tick louder than stock. However I'm planning on a cat less downpipe, 2nd cat, & res delete. Would the less expensive Megan racing exhaust sound about right with the listed above? Does anyone know hp gains with either?
Hi FELIX,

Please be advised that these 2 systems are non "Cat-back", but rather, "Axle-back" systems.

The good news is that both systems are made out of T304, rather than T409, which is key.

In terms of HP gains, I would not expect anything more than 5-8 HP. I'm just ballparking, but axle-back systems are 90% for sound and 10% for flow. However, you will definitely start freeing up some flow when you begin with the aforementioned additions.

Please also note that the diameter goes down to 2.25", which is pretty nominal over OEM.

I would take a look at the VIP Custom Parts full-exhaust system. The system is madrel-bent, tig-welded T304 2.5" along its entirety. Since you plan on doing 2nd Cat & Rez, you could avoid having to create some sort of custom setup between the 2nd Cat & Rez delete, midpipe, and axleback. The awesome thing about this kit is that it comes all together, from the DP to the tip, all PNP. Additionally, for the amount you would be spending between the axle-back, a custom midpipe, custom 2nd cat & rez section, etc.... you would probably be breaking even and be able to avoid all the trouble.

The reason I am recommending all of this, is because I wet through that very situation. I started out with the NM Engineering Cat-back. Then I decided I wanted to go with an Akro DP and a 2nd cat & rez delete. I actually had to call VIP and have them custom cut only the front section of their full-exhaust system for me, which I then had to custom mate up to my NM.

It all came out great, and I absolutely love the sound between all three: Akro DP, VIP Front Section, NM Catback.....but if I could do it all over again, I would just buy the VIP Full exhaust from scratch. Please note that there are plenty of other manufacturers and forum-wide sponsors that offer their own full-exhaust systems, which are awesome as well. I am just noting from my own experience.

In the below link is my Page 3 of my build thread, where you can see some pic of the VIP front section and the NM catback. You can see where I mated them, that I actually had to reduce the 2.5" VIP to 2.25" NM.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-begins-3.html

Here is a link to VIP's countryman page:

http://www.vipcustomparts.com/R60%20parts%20page.htm

Good Luck! Drive Safe & Drive Often. Rubber Side Down. Over & Out.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Cat Back Exhaust

Originally Posted by felix_434
If you are looking for a true Cat Back system, here is a useful application guide to help you:

http://new.minimania.com/MINI_Cooper...lication_Guide

Here also are several suggestions!

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Resu...20back/default

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 PM
felix_434
1st Gear
Thanks guys for the great info! I hooked up with VIP and will go with a full system! Pics to come!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 AM
felix_434
1st Gear
Got my CNT cat-less downpipe on as well as my full VIP exhaust. It sounds good, and is a bit loud at times but I like it. lol The mechanic who installed it said there was a small leak where the downpipe and exhaust meet. Still need to add some high temp silicone to it.