R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 CM Boot Liner - fit problems because...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 06:52 AM
VagabondSteve
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CM Boot Liner - fit problems because...

This is probably beating a dead horse but...
I wanted to let everyone know that I found an excellent set of pictures to show the various configurations of the boot floor of the CM (R60). I did not even know there were "configurations" of this. I figured, as I think many do, that there was "flat load floor" or not. Not nearly that simple!

My 2013 CM included the 4UL "flat load floor" option and rear bench seats.

I was gifted the OEM Mini boot liner said to fit the "flat load floor" but it didn't fit my configuration, so I returned it. It appeared too wide and long to fit the flat area of the boot and was lifted on all four sides, up over the plastic support surrounding it. How could OEM be that far off?

I was gifted the Weather Tech "flat floor option" boot liner for Christmas and it still wasn't right but I had resigned myself to using it with a sloppy fit. So I still have it. It too is lifted on all four sides though it was supposed to be an exact fit.

Now I find pictures that can answer the fit issue!
This link is to a thread that has pictures of about every configuration of the boot load floor in the CM : ( I have compared the pictures to my 2013 and except for the rear bench seat in mine they appear identical. The surrounding support area has every feature shown in the pictures.)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-pictures.html

There are five pictures in all. The first one shows what I will call the "top load floor" (part number 51479811135 I believe) installed and "down". This floor can also be raised and laid forward to create privacy or protect seatbacks from loads carried.

The second one shows the top load floor raised and shows the removable "flat load floor" (option 4UL on my build sheet and the same as what I have) underneath.

The third picture shows the top load floor raised and the 4UL open. The fourth picture shows only the top load floor installed. The fifth picture shows the rear seats folded and top load floor fully open and the 4UL in place and closed.

It appears the OEM and Weather Tech liners were intended to cover the configuration shown in the first picture - the top load floor, not the 4UL "flat load floor". The terms seem to be the reason there is a problem. The top load floor and flat load floor are not the same and a single liner will not fit both properly. Add to that the need for a liner for the "well" with neither the 4UL nor the top load floor and it is a mess. Apparently neither provider makes one to properly fit the 4UL configuration alone. I would not know how to find one with the confusing terminology.

I inserted some floor mats/ pieces of carpeting under the Weathertech liner and it looks as if it would fit perfectly if the 51479811135 part were installed.
(See this photo: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cooper-10-.jpg and notice the height of the liner at the sides at the rear.)

The hinge points are present in my 2013 (in fact the plastic support "surround" looks identical).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

EDIT:
I received the top load floor yesterday and when I installed it the Weathertech mat fits perfectly, with or without the flat load floor underneath. Makes me wonder why the flat load floor was even offered, it's function serves only to add about an inch of vertical clearance compared to the top load floor. Duh!

Last edited by VagabondSteve; 01-20-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: New info added