R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Mini Countryman owner candidate

Old 09-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Flyboycoy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Countryman owner candidate

Hi all - I'm new to this forum. I figured rather than spend hours trying to find dirt on the Mini Countryman I would come to you to learn if it has any pitfalls. I am a potential buyer of a 2012 with roughly 50k miles. It's an S model w the automatic and does not have the run flats (not sure why).

Any information you can provide with regard to common maintenance issues, what to look for with the buying a used countryman, what to stay away from etc would be greatly appreciated.

They are neat cars and facilitate my need for driving 60 miles round trip to and from work a few times a week along with other getting around while having enough room for the newborn baby car seat along with a little light utility if needed. I have a large SUV as well so the utility is not the driving factor. The fuel economy, fun driving experience, and hoping you will have little to say of any major maintenance items I should be weary of.

I'll look back for your responses.

Thanks in advance.

Coy

Old 09-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
First post and you confess to being lazy.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:43 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Being 'lazy' wont work if you want to own a MINI.

Do some reading. This question gets asked 2 or 3 times / month and there are lots of threads discussing the so called 'issues'.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Flyboycoy
Neutral
Lazy x2

Well this is too bad. I was asking for help. Twice I'm being called lazy. I'm a flight instructor and a pilot - I know things novices don't know - and when I'm asked for help I am happy to share what I know with those who do not. I wonder where I'd be if I told those seeking help with the learning curve that they need to spend more time researching on their own before they dare ask for my help. It would discourage those seeking the help. And well, with this analogy, the results are the same. With these first responses I am now being left with a feeling of discouragement. Even not knowing what (if any) are the known issues with a countryman, I now feel like owning a mini is time consuming and the cars aren't reliable, where I have to constantly stay on top of them by reading countless posts on a forum in order to keep one running. If this is the case, I'd opt to not own one.

I created this account only to ask for help. I'll watch for another day or so and see if we have some positive minded humans who'd like to help with the learning curve rather than spend their time telling me about my laziness or any other negative-toned response. I'm sure there are some positive members out there. To you, I thank you in advance.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:25 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboycoy
It's an S model w the automatic and does not have the run flats (not sure why).
I'm not an expert on the Countryman, but I do know about run flats. A lot of owners ditch them because they don't like the ride and the cost.

Furthermore, a lot of shops don't want to deal with them and the dealer and larger shops are reluctant to plug them and they only replace run flats.

If for some reason you do buy a MINI with run flats, it's easy to plug your own run flat, the other option is find a small shop who will do it for you.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Cry me a river Flyboy. I didn't call you 'lazy', i said 'being lazy' wont work if you want to own a MINI. Since you apparently are too lazy to do your own research here's a few threads to get you started on your homework.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...k-out-for.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...few-years.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...be-a-noob.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ountryman.html

Old 09-21-2015, 05:47 AM
DWooderson
2nd Gear
Mikey, I think that's the same thing. ;0

Regarding the run-flat tires (RF), look at this as a positive.

I originally had RFs on the car, and now I have non-RFs. They're much quieter, and the ride is better.

If I have a puncture:

Plan A: Limp to repair facility before tire goes down (if I see a nail or have a minor pressure loss). I've probably had 7 punctures in 20 years, and this is the typical scenario. TPMS alerts you if a tire is low.

Plan B: I have towing insurance, and I have no problem using it. We have two cars if needed, and I also have car rental insurance.

Plan C: I have a slime repair kit under the flat cargo panel in back, but I hope I never have to use it. It's for last-resort use only. The kit has plugs, a high quality inflation pump, some basic tools, and a road-hazard reflector triangle, all in a nice zippered case. I augmented it with two good sets of pliers (needle and std), a headlamp, and utility knife.

I plugged a puncture in the tire of our other car as a test, and the process was much quicker and easier than I expected, and the plug is holding up fine six months later.

BTW, I'll never, ever change a tire or replace a tire on the side of the road. If I do use Option C out in the wild, it will be in a parking lot or similar. If my car becomes immobile due to a tire issue, I'm just calling the police/tow truck, and walking to a safe place to wait.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:52 AM
DWooderson
2nd Gear
Regarding other used-buying considerations:

I bought my 2011 (first model year for the Countryman) about a year ago. I have had zero issues with mine so far (knock on wood), but my car went out of warranty in July, and based on reading about potential issues here, I did buy an extended warranty from USAA to mitigate risk. My car only has 27,000 miles on it.

This car is more expensive to operate than a Civic, and probably even a GTI, but I absolutely love driving the car, and to me, it's worth the extra cost.

If you want reliable, get a Civic. If you want fuel economy, get a Jetta TDI. Wait, those aren't for sale anymore in the US.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Here is a good thread with some great info on common issues and what to look out for. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-21-2015, 02:20 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Countryman first year with manuals had some clutch issues , but you have auto , so should be fine. Also some early ALL4 ( 4 wheel drive ) models had rear diff issues covered under warranty.

Other then that just change the oil and keep up with maintenance. Have it inspected and looked over before you buy.

Good luck and post up some pics if you can.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-22-2015, 04:12 AM
Csbdr
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! You guys are pretty harsh.

I have one. 2014 S All4. Had the transfer case go. Known issue but doesn't make you feel any better when it happens at 20,000. I love the car and it is a hoot to drive but I am surprised at all the quality issues which keep coming up on this site. I also know the nature of forums is the complainers with problems get a lot of airtime....

That's the biggest thing I've had go wrong and it was under warrantee. Otherwise I could be happier! The car is a blast and easy to mod if you are into that. Fuel economy is a disappointment. I average 23 mpg but I also drive like I stole it. Even driven conservatively it's a far cry from being fuel efficient. You'll probably be disappointed on that score. Might be better off looking at one of the Cooper 2 doors if that is a priority and you don't need the 4 doors. (Edit - actually I was "lazy" and didn't scroll back up to see your post. Yes you have a kiddo...)Maybe even the four door hardtop if you do, but I don't know the numbers on that one.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Welcome to NAM. Lots of douchebaggery here.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:36 AM
KeziaPurrs
2nd Gear
Welcome to the forums. I recently purchased a '16 Countryman S and I love it so far. There are pros and cons based on what I've read here. But I bought it anyway. I just love this car.

I feel terrible that other members were so rude and obnoxious. Geez! This is supposed to be a forum to welcome newbies and their questions. Not shun them. I've performed searches on this site for specific issues and nothing relevant comes up. So I've posted the issue again. Sometimes searching is futile.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 PM
True_Red_S
Neutral
Originally Posted by Flyboycoy
Hi all - I'm new to this forum. I figured rather than spend hours trying to find dirt on the Mini Countryman I would come to you to learn if it has any pitfalls. I am a potential buyer of a 2012 with roughly 50k miles. It's an S model w the automatic and does not have the run flats (not sure why).

Any information you can provide with regard to common maintenance issues, what to look for with the buying a used countryman, what to stay away from etc would be greatly appreciated.

They are neat cars and facilitate my need for driving 60 miles round trip to and from work a few times a week along with other getting around while having enough room for the newborn baby car seat along with a little light utility if needed. I have a large SUV as well so the utility is not the driving factor. The fuel economy, fun driving experience, and hoping you will have little to say of any major maintenance items I should be weary of.

I'll look back for your responses.

Thanks in advance.

Coy
You need to just judge the car, A car well maintained is a great car.. Just check the vehical history, quality/colour of the oil, noises and general condition.. I also own two Pontiac Solstices, and when they first came out people complained, now the are rated 8.5.. I own a All4 S and love the car.. for it's look and small quirks.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
You can take the VIN to your local MINI dealership and they can pull the service records and tell you what was done service wise there.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172