'Battery Registration' software update required for battery replacement? - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > MINI Countryman (2010 +) > R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015)
'Battery Registration' software update required for battery replacement? >

'Battery Registration' software update required for battery replacement?

R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

'Battery Registration' software update required for battery replacement?

  #1  
Old 08-14-2015, 12:01 AM
stevepsd
stevepsd is offline
2nd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Idaho!
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Battery Registration' software update required for battery replacement?

Just looking at Scan Tools and came across something called 'Battery Registration/Reset' being required for late model BMW & Mini's.

Evidently if your replace your battery without doing the 'battery registration' you can end up over-charging your new battery.

See here:
http://atlanticmotorcar.com/tech-tip...replacement-2/

Anyone know if this is required on the Countryman?

Thanks.

-steve
 
  #2  
Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM
penguinhomey
penguinhomey is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve,

recently had my 2012 CM sitting in the garage for an extended period. Wasn't started and needed a new battery.

These DO need the re-programing when it comes replacing a battery.

Mini wanted $550 for the software update alone-no battery included.

Ended up taking it to an independent mini repair shop, cost $105 for the exact same software.

From what I understand the car will run if you just swap it out without the re-program, however you run the risk of ruining your alternator among other things.

Still a Pain in the butt to have to pay for them to essentially plug it into a computer, but a lot cheaper then the repairs that not doing it could cost.

I got this info on why the re-progamming is neccesary from multiple sources, not just the MINI dealership (I don't trust them lol)

Hope this helps!
 
  #3  
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM
bmwr606's Avatar
bmwr606
bmwr606 is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: wisconsin, usa
Posts: 2,245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
'Battery Registration' software update required for battery replacement?

the carly app for iphone/android can do it as well as coding, readinggresetting error codesn resetting service intervals snd more

i bought it for my Galaxy s4 ... well worth it
 
  #4  
Old 08-15-2015, 10:26 AM
05r50
05r50 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just a reminder. Not all models have the IBS or intelligent battery system. If your car does not have it then no programming is needed.

On the R56 models the IBS module is a small rectangular box in line on the battery cable. Maybe 6 inches from the battery terminal.

Not sure where they placed it on the F56 or countryman etc.
 
  #5  
Old 08-15-2015, 10:26 AM
05r50
05r50 is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just a reminder. Not all models have the IBS or intelligent battery system. If your car does not have it then no programming is needed.

On the R56 models the IBS module is a small rectangular box in line on the battery cable. Maybe 6 inches from the battery terminal.

Not sure where they placed it on the F56 or countryman etc.
 
  #6  
Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 AM
DWooderson
DWooderson is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Suburban Dallas, TX
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My battery failed very suddenly three months ago. Usually I sense it coming with slower cranks on cold days, etc., but my car was starting and running great one minute, and completely dead coming the next. I tried jumping it, and nothing. It was completely dead. I put a new battery in it in a restaurant parking lot (not fun), and it's been fine ever since.

But this is the first I've heard of a need to reset software for a new battery...

Is this a wife's tale, or do I really need to go have this done?
 
  #7  
Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 PM
pillpusher84
pillpusher84 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not buy a K+DCAN cable for R-chassis. Or ENET cable for f-chassis vehicles and do it the same way as the MINI dealer for less than $30 with ISTA software?
 
  #8  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM
MrGrumpy's Avatar
MrGrumpy
MrGrumpy is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Washington state
Posts: 912
Thanked 91 Times in 88 Posts
My ‘12 Countryman needed the new battery registration done, they do have the IBS system. I used my Schwaben scan tool to do it, took about 3 minutes. ECS has them for a good price. They are handy to have regardless, for reading and clearing codes on these. No subscription fee, just a one time purchase.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrumpy For This Useful Post:
ECSTuning (02-07-2019)
  #9  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:27 AM
MrGrumpy's Avatar
MrGrumpy
MrGrumpy is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Washington state
Posts: 912
Thanked 91 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by DWooderson View Post
My battery failed very suddenly three months ago. Usually I sense it coming with slower cranks on cold days, etc., but my car was starting and running great one minute, and completely dead coming the next. I tried jumping it, and nothing. It was completely dead. I put a new battery in it in a restaurant parking lot (not fun), and it's been fine ever since.

But this is the first I've heard of a need to reset software for a new battery...

Is this a wife's tale, or do I really need to go have this done?
If your car has the intelligent battery system (IBS, lol) like stated previously, there will be a small black rectangle on the battery cable, it’s pretty hard to miss. It’s roughly 1 1/2” X 2”. Not super large, but easy enough to notice.
 
  #10  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29 AM
MrGrumpy's Avatar
MrGrumpy
MrGrumpy is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Washington state
Posts: 912
Thanked 91 Times in 88 Posts
I can’t believe MINI wanted over 500 bucks to register a battery! That’s insane! It literally takes less than 5 minutes
 
  #11  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:20 PM
02fanatic
02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 993
Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 51 Posts
This is one of my biggest fears as I have two 2015 MINIs, an F56 JCW & an R60 Countryman S All4. The JCW is in the garage on a battery tender all the time. The CMS sits outside so I worry about its battery. It was sub zero last week & today it was about 50....more rain & cold weather coming tho! It started right up today & I think holding my breath must have helped! ;-)

New/original batteries in both. I did buy the Schwaben Tool also....I mainly bought it to reset oil change times, but when the time comes to change a battery I will ask for help here!
 
The Following User Says Thank You to 02fanatic For This Useful Post:
ECSTuning (02-08-2019)
  #12  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 PM
pw1114
pw1114 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 88
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
This is one of my biggest fears as I have two 2015 MINIs, an F56 JCW & an R60 Countryman S All4. The JCW is in the garage on a battery tender all the time. The CMS sits outside so I worry about its battery. It was sub zero last week & today it was about 50....more rain & cold weather coming tho! It started right up today & I think holding my breath must have helped! ;-)

New/original batteries in both. I did buy the Schwaben Tool also....I mainly bought it to reset oil change times, but when the time comes to change a battery I will ask for help here!
I had my battery replaced on my F54 at 46K miles. It's covered under warranty, so if your car has less than 50K miles, you should just let the battery die and get it replaced for free lol.
 
  #13  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 AM
02fanatic
02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 993
Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by pw1114 View Post
I had my battery replaced on my F54 at 46K miles. It's covered under warranty, so if your car has less than 50K miles, you should just let the battery die and get it replaced for free lol.
So how does that work when you live almost 2 hours from the dealer?
 
  #14  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:53 PM
2wheelsrbest's Avatar
2wheelsrbest
2wheelsrbest is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cental WA
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hola! Don't post on here much, but figured I'd post up my recent battery swap experience.

2014 CMSAll4. Love it, but this whole battery registration has made me think/stew/worry about it way too much. Anyway...here's the short version.

Original Exide battery started crapping out. Battery symbol when my wife would drive it, as she short trips our vehicles badly. Hunted around for best deal on a battery, but found that warranty seems to top out at 3 years for an AGM battery. Went to Autozone and bought a Duralast H6 Platinum AGM battery for right around $200. Swapped it in about 30 minutes today. Hardest part was getting wiper arm off. (Tips for that at end) I had made appointment for this afternoon at local garage that works on BMW/Mini for them to register battery. Drove there, where they did it while I waited and took my $80. Boom--done.

So, at the end of the day, I am into this about $280, which is probably double what my previously most expensive battery purchase had been. Still, the same garage (No dealer within 3 hours of me) that did the registration had originally given me an estimate of $600 for battery, labor and registration, so I am around HALF of that for 30 minutes of my time. I also have a battery warranty at a regional/national chain of stores, should I have a problem.

OK, wiper arm. I removed nut like I had seen in some video, but arm was pressed onto splined motor/linkage shaft (career bicycle mechanic, so I know about pressed on crank arms, etc). I soaked with penetrating oil, put nut back on so it had a slight gap over arm surface and grabbed some needle nose vise grips. By clamping the underside of the arm to the top of the nut, it allowed vice grips to push arm up to bottom of nut. Once it popped loose, it was easy from there. Nut kept any threads from getting F'd up and I didn't bust up plastic cowl by trying to lever arm up against it.

So, if you'd normally swap a battery in any other vehicle, I'd say do this one, too. I do believe it is worth doing the registration, but I'm just not in a position to buy a scan tool for it right at the moment. Sucked it up and simply had someone do it for me. Managed to save $300. Could be worse, I guess.
 
  #15  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:07 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher's Avatar
Minnie.the.Moocher
Minnie.the.Moocher is online now
6th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth PNW
Posts: 4,365
Thanked 285 Times in 259 Posts
Had our battery changed out by dealership recently for the CM, it was about $300. So your dealership was ripping you off.
 
  #16  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:11 PM
02fanatic
02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 993
Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Good info! Thanks for posting......

Originally Posted by 2wheelsrbest View Post
Hola! Don't post on here much, but figured I'd post up my recent battery swap experience.

2014 CMSAll4. Love it, but this whole battery registration has made me think/stew/worry about it way too much. Anyway...here's the short version.

Original Exide battery started crapping out. Battery symbol when my wife would drive it, as she short trips our vehicles badly. Hunted around for best deal on a battery, but found that warranty seems to top out at 3 years for an AGM battery. Went to Autozone and bought a Duralast H6 Platinum AGM battery for right around $200. Swapped it in about 30 minutes today. Hardest part was getting wiper arm off. (Tips for that at end) I had made appointment for this afternoon at local garage that works on BMW/Mini for them to register battery. Drove there, where they did it while I waited and took my $80. Boom--done.

So, at the end of the day, I am into this about $280, which is probably double what my previously most expensive battery purchase had been. Still, the same garage (No dealer within 3 hours of me) that did the registration had originally given me an estimate of $600 for battery, labor and registration, so I am around HALF of that for 30 minutes of my time. I also have a battery warranty at a regional/national chain of stores, should I have a problem.

OK, wiper arm. I removed nut like I had seen in some video, but arm was pressed onto splined motor/linkage shaft (career bicycle mechanic, so I know about pressed on crank arms, etc). I soaked with penetrating oil, put nut back on so it had a slight gap over arm surface and grabbed some needle nose vise grips. By clamping the underside of the arm to the top of the nut, it allowed vice grips to push arm up to bottom of nut. Once it popped loose, it was easy from there. Nut kept any threads from getting F'd up and I didn't bust up plastic cowl by trying to lever arm up against it.

So, if you'd normally swap a battery in any other vehicle, I'd say do this one, too. I do believe it is worth doing the registration, but I'm just not in a position to buy a scan tool for it right at the moment. Sucked it up and simply had someone do it for me. Managed to save $300. Could be worse, I guess.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ECSTuning
Vendor Announcements
0
08-19-2015 01:51 PM
jeremy_reyes94
R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
7
08-12-2015 11:56 AM
ECSTuning
Vendor Announcements
0
08-07-2015 09:02 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 'Battery Registration' software update required for battery replacement?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: