R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Adding the factory tweeters

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Adding the factory tweeters

I asked at the dealership but no one had an answer.

In the attached picture you can see a tapped off connector shown just above my finger that has yellow and black wiring to it. The blue wiring goes to the 4" mid in the door. The picture is from the passenger side front door (upper left side) of a 2013 Countryman JCW with NAV and the base audio system.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if our CM's are pre-wired for the tweeters and if this is the connector? IF this is the case, adding tweeters could be a very simple addition to the stock system.

Thoughts ?!??!?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:37 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I'll start by saying I don't know... HOWEVER, that has never stopped me from banging on my keyboard to share my two cents worth.

That being said... It is possible that the wires you are pointing to are in fact the Tweeter wires, but you would have to check the wiring at the back of the Head Unit, chances are the wire/cable connector is pinned out and the wires run, you would have to check to see if the matching pins out on the back of the head unit are there.

In many cases it is less expensive for a company to use a common part (like a wiring harness) that is capable of many options then to have multiple parts that do the same thing.

Worse case, the back of the Head Unit is not pinned out for the tweeters, but that would only slow me down for adding them, you could always tap off from the mid range speaker and run the wires to your DIY Tweeter install.

I would trace the wires, make sure the are pinned at the connector, then a small speaker connected to it would let you know if they are live or not.

Best of luck.

Motor on!

Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by JABowders
In many cases it is less expensive for a company to use a common part (like a wiring harness) that is capable of many options then to have multiple parts that do the same thing.
In the case of MINIs, all second generation and later models have custom built cable harnesses, with only the wires needed for the options specified at build time. (This makes retrofits extra annoying!)

So, definitely follow JWBowders' advice: trace the wires to be sure.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:39 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Few things to add to the thoughts noted above.

I would think that the 4" is likely crossed over somehow and "may" not be running full range (speculating). So just tapping into it may not get me what I need. But who knows. Then again, "IF" there's no tweeter, that stock 4" may be running all the way up frequency wise. Hmmmmmm.

Regarding that empty connector and tracing it back to the head unit, that's a pant-load of work to remove the factory head unit. I was hoping more along the line that someone would know from their experience with the H&K system IF this is the same wiring harness that incorporates the tweeter AND if this is the tweeter plug. I men someone somewhere has to have access to the electricals for this vehicle !!?!?!?

Adding tweeters was to be a quick fix for me until I figure out the whole MOST system stuff. I'm still trying to find out (with no luck) if a Mobridge unit will work in my CM (it taps into the MOST network and gives you RCA's out to run separate after market amplifiers).

Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by tominizer
I'm still trying to find out (with no luck) if a Mobridge unit will work in my CM (it taps into the MOST network and gives you RCA's out to run separate after market amplifiers).
Looks like yes:

http://www.mobridge.us/compatibility/vehicles/18/15218/15224/13429

Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Yes, I checked on the Mobridge site as I want the DA2. "BUT", no where is there any instructions (that I could find) on how to actually install the unit and "WHERE" the Mini MOST connection is made to the Mobridge unit. My emails to the company have produce the response that crickets make at night. It's very disappointing because the Mobridge is actually a very clean way to make the installation.