R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Perspective buyer: What should I get and what shouldnt I get.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:25 PM
mpete88
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perspective buyer: What should I get and what shouldnt I get.

Hey guys, new user. My fiance and I are thinking of getting a 2014 S ALL 4. We were wondering, as owners, if you had it to do over what would you get? What would you change about yours. Some of the things that we really want are:

- Cold weather package
- Center Armrest
- Flat load
- Technology package w/o nav
- Manual Trans
- Sport suspension
- Harmon Kardon system
- Sunroof

We are looking to purchase a new one, just curious what everyone thinks.

Thanks and happy motoring!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Xenons are almost a must!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on where you are, you may want to specify All Season tires !

Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Definitely get the xenons!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
gerry2153
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
definitely get the xenons!
+1

Old 02-10-2014, 05:59 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by mpete88
Hey guys, new user. My fiance and I are thinking of getting a 2014 S ALL 4. We were wondering, as owners, if you had it to do over what would you get? What would you change about yours. Some of the things that we really want are: - Cold weather package - Center Armrest - Flat load - Technology package w/o nav - Manual Trans - Sport suspension - Harmon Kardon system - Sunroof We are looking to purchase a new one, just curious what everyone thinks. Thanks and happy motoring!
We just bought a 2014 Countryman S for my wife in December. We went the opposite route: cold weather package and a flat load floor was the only thing she cared about!

However… I have Xenons in my Clubman and she has halogens in her CMS. I like the Xenons a lot. Not sure they are worth $500 to me.

I had the HK system in my 2006 MCS. Have the standard system in my 2009 Clubman. I miss the Harman Kardon system and if you love music it's absolutely worth the $750. If you mainly listen to talk radio and news, not so much.

Flat load floor is very nice to have. Recommended

Sunroof is nice, but adds a little wind noise. And MINI has a history of poorly designed sunroofs. They don't leak, but they do jam in extremes of heat (85°F+) and cold (20°F and down). My car has one but I wouldn't pay for it if I were buying a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
the only change i would make on my cms all4 is to get the factory alarm ... @ $500 it is a bargain and is worth a 10% discount on insurance

Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Sliksunny
2nd Gear
Lounge seats

Skip the lounge seats as I have them ans had a loaner for a day without them and didn't miss them at all. Waste of 2k

Get the jcw exhaust sounds and looks a lot better

Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Xenons and auto wipers.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:03 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto headlights and wipers
Flat load floor
Navigation
Xenon
Black headlights (its a super cheap option and makes the car look so much better IMO)

Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 AM
iriedevil32
4th Gear
Xenon lights are a must! My biggest regret is not getting them. Didn't know anything about them. Wish I would have know about this site before they built mine.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:23 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Xenons, flat load floor, heated seats, centre arm-rest (although there are more comfortable after markets units), alarm system (so the car will 'beep' when you lock it), cold weather package/all season tires, premium package, no NAV and i'm happy with the auto trans vs the manual.

Last edited by mikey_t; 02-11-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 PM
boogernator
1st Gear
I think the sunroof is part of the Premium Package, in which case I would opt for that as well rather than just getting the sunroof by itself.

I've always disliked navigation systems in cars and preferred to use my phone, but that's just my 2 cents.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a few, but my "must haves" are xenons and heated seats. Oh, and dark rims to hide the brake dust! (I think Bluetooth is now standard)

After that I am very fond of: Harmon Kardon, XM, auto climate control, flat floor, sunroof.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Almost forgot! Hella 500 driving lights!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:40 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mpete88
Hey guys, new user. My fiance and I are thinking of getting a 2014 S ALL 4. We were wondering, as owners, if you had it to do over what would you get? What would you change about yours. Some of the things that we really want are:

- Cold weather package
- Center Armrest
- Flat load
- Technology package w/o nav
- Manual Trans
- Sport suspension
- Harmon Kardon system
- Sunroof

We are looking to purchase a new one, just curious what everyone thinks.

Thanks and happy motoring!
I live in SoCal, so the cold weather package would be a waste of money. Your locale will determine that.

I love the center armrest. Wouldn't do without.

I didn't get flatload floor and don't really care. I don't miss it, but I don't put the seats down that often to haul stuff, and when I do, like christmas presents, flatload doesn't matter much. Your usage would determine that, but for $500, be sure you need it.

I did NOT get the tech package. Actually, in 2013, there was no tech package. I wanted the big speedo. The only thing, and I mean only thing from the Mini Connected option I would want is BT music from my iPhone. But for $750, that is a lot of money. You can buy a really REALLY nice BT streaming module that plugs into the USB port for under $100. I purchased a cheap $15 module and it streams music, but nothing shows up on the dash display as far as song title, and the forward/back buttons on the steering wheel don't work. I understand the nice BT modules make all of that work. You can search these forums for ones that play nice with the non-Mini Connected systems. As for other stuff in the tech package, not sure. I have the automatic wipers and headlights (Xenons). I leave automatic wipers off but I gained the interval wipes with it. Sans automatic, you only get one intermittent speed. Kinda dumb. The automatic headlights work well. Nothing automatic on my mirrors, rear or side.

I don't have nav either obviously. I played with it for 30min in the parking lot before ordering my car and I decided I didn't like it. Waze on my iPhone works very well, and I use the x-pod holder from Cravenspeed.com. Love how it works and how it looks.

I have the manual transmission and love it.

I didn't get sport suspension and am glad. For me, it is a firm enough ride. I won't be doing any autocross or rallying.

I did opt for the HK system. The head unit is the same, what you are really getting is a boatload of speakers and wattage, including to subwoofers below the front seats. Worth the $750 IMHO.

I have the sunroof and like it... but... it rattles sometimes, open or closed. This is a common complaint. If I were to order again today, I am not sure what I would do until you made me pick the option before ordering.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:43 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Oh, almost forgot. One thing I would get is the backup sensor. The beltline in the CM is pretty high and I am not able to see what I am backing up against sometimes, especially if there is a bit of a dropoff.

Remember about the headliner too. It will be polar beige unless you specify anthracite. I actually wanted it in polar beige, but ordered the polar beige door inserts too, so it matches. Breaks up having so much black inside the car.

Other than the backup sensor, I wouldn't really change a thing about Lana.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Just my thoughts on my experience...

- Cold weather package-- agreed. heated seats are nice
- Center Armrest--agreed, not good for storage other than pens and change but I use daily to rest my arm
- Flat load--nice to have. this is simply a cover that can be removed. It is good for hiding stuff. But without the flat load floor you cannot see what is in the boot with the trunk closed anyway.
- Technology package w/o nav Comes with Harmon Kardon, Sirius radio and Mini Connected:
Comfort Bluetooth with USB/iPod adapter (nice to play music over Bluetooth--Mini Connect is designed for Iphone 4, not 5--but most functions work--that said I used the Mini Connected maybe three times connected with plug to iphone--see video), Smartphone Integration (nice to use Bluetooth phone calls over speakers) and Voice recognition (big waste for voice--never used, supposedly you can speak commands that are easier to simply click)
Sirius radio (nice that it is built in, but presets do not display current song/artist, but an aftermarket version has better display and cheaper.)
- Manual Trans, agreed,
- Sport suspension--agreed, makes driving more fun,
- Harmon Kardon system--agreed. I was not sure about this until I was given a loaner at the dealer that did not have the upgraded system
- Sunroof--since I typically keep the sunroof closed in previous cars, I saved $1,000 without it.
- Backup sensor, nice beeps to solid sound when close to object, but no video
- Comfort Access-nice to leave keys in pocket to open and drive

- Xenon--if you never had Xenons before you will not know what your missing, but once you have them you will always want them. If you add them the Adaptive Headlight control option is nice to have as the xenons.
- Auto Climate Control- nice to set temp and leave it.
- Alarm - discount for insurance and beep on lock

I would suggest determining the individual options you are interested in and then look at the packages. Literally, you can piecemeal any option and typically you can save some money with a package. But some options end up with an option you would not pay for buy itself and may be cheaper to order separately.

Last edited by TJANK; 02-11-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM
dgator39
2nd Gear
Comfort access and auto wipers make things easy. Check out some of the packages that may include these desired features at a discounted price. The X lights alarm also a must have fun designing

Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Hi and welcome!

commenting on your list:

- Cold weather package-must have, the highest settings of the heated seats will roast your buns!
- Center Armrest-must have, I drove a hardtop loaner and had no where to put my arm..just flopped around in the gap between the seats.
- Flat load-yep, you will LOVE having this, trust me.
- Technology package w/o nav-a good choice. we have nav and love it, but the tech package is great on its own
- Manual Trans-the only way to fly
- Sport suspension-great as well, I put on a thicker rear ASB and a front strut brace/bar to firm up the suspension even more.
- Harmon Kardon system-oh yea. $750 well spent. Best stock system I have heard and I have heard a lot. great subwoofer, loads of clean non-distorted power.
- Sunroof-absolutely. even if you never open a sun roof having all that panoramic glass up there really opens up the inside of the car and makes it feel bigger.
-All4 system-far and away the most impressive thing about the CM. Real full-time AWD, with a 50/50 front/rear split of power when taking off from lights. Totally eliminates any hint of torque steer, and you don't slide and lose any grip taking off from lights on snow and ice...fantastic.

As others have said, you MUST add Xenons. You will thank us later. You have a great list here. You have obviously spent some time deciding on the options most important to you.

Last edited by Z06_Pilot; 02-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM
ipcmd0
Neutral
Originally Posted by mikey_t
Xenons, flat load floor, heated seats, centre arm-rest (although there are more comfortable after markets units), alarm system (so the car will 'beep' when you lock it), cold weather package/all season tires, premium package, no NAV and i'm happy with the auto trans vs the manual.
Can you recommend any specific after market armrests?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
+Premium 2 (Sunroof, Auto climate control, Auto wipers, Auto headlights)
+Flat Load Floor
+Heated seats, without the rest of the cold weather package. Save some dosh for something else
- I may be tone deaf, or perhaps I didn't spend enough time in one with the HK audio...
- I don't miss the Xenons, but that may be because I came from the dismal headlights on the Clubman. I'd spend that money on the---
+LED Fogs/DRLs
+One thing I miss from the Clubman is the Comfort access. WAY convenient
+/- I had the auto-dimming /HomeLink mirror, but the combination is stoopid money in the CTM, so I went with a key fob GDO from eBay
+Center armrest. It gives me a place to keep the key fob GDO and iPod cable
- I don't like OE nav from MINI or anyone else
+Mudflaps. I know they're kinda "old man," but there's enough overhang of the tires outside the body to get spray/grit damage without them
+If I had been ordering one, I doubt I'd have opted for the leather, but the CPO car I bought has them...and we diggem

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:56 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ipcmd0
Can you recommend any specific after market armrests?

I bought a pair of these from MossMini when they were clearing out their stock and installed them in about 20 mins. They dont have the electrical hookup but there is more space, they slide back & forth and they are comfortable on the elbow.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MINI-COUNTRYM...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Attached Thumbnails Perspective buyer: What should I get and what shouldnt I get.-dsc_4034.jpg   Perspective buyer: What should I get and what shouldnt I get.-dsc_4036.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM
HateRegs
2nd Gear
I live in warm parts of Texas but I love the toasty legs and lower back after a hard session at the gym.

I wish I had the home link mirror. The normal garage remotes don't fit to clip on the visor as I'm used to.

The flat load floor is the way to go if you can afford it. You'll find other threads about all weather or aftermarket mats not fitting properly without it.

I like your list. I love my comfort access and would not pass up on that.

I like the look of the exceedingly expensive JCW wheels I put on my plain ole S. Not for everyone but don't discount just for looks things you like. The short antenna for example is ridiculously cheap, gf hates it. I love it.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
stardoc
1st Gear
I'll chime in and say Xenons if you plan to drive after dusk (standard headlights have about a 15 foot range), and sport suspension if you plan on safely attacking corners over 25mph. Oh yes H/K speakers are OK, but for $700 you can get some amazing aftermarket speakers that will blow away the OEM ones.
Everything else would be icing on the cake.
Congrats and good luck.

Quick Reply: R60 Perspective buyer: What should I get and what shouldnt I get.