R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Alarm keeps going off after air filter change

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
MiniMiAmor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm keeps going off after air filter change

Does the MINI (2012 R60) know that an aftermarket air filter (K&M) has been installed? Call me crazy, but when I put the K&N filter in and set my alarm, it always goes off after 30 seconds.

I checked all connections, sensors, ensured hood was properly closed, checked the hood-closed switch, removed and reinstalled the AM filter, and still had the issue.

Put the stock filter back in, and everything returned to normal.

Put K&N filter back in, and the problem returned.

Repeated that three times to ensure I wasn't crazy, and the pattern repeats.

Again, am I crazy, or am I amazingly knocking over a sensor when putting the K&N filter in, and putting it back in its place when putting the stock filter in? Doesn't seem to be a sensor within the air filter housing itself, so I have no idea how something like that would work, but this is driving me nuts as the alarm only malfunctions with the K&N filter in.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your anti-theft alarm has nothing to do with an air filter.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:09 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay since no one on this forum gives you advice anymore, first re-install the stock filter. Then drive around a mile or two. Head back home or wherever and install the K&N filter. Drive around a bit. If the same issue occurs, could be because your K&N filter is over oiled up. Just so you know there is a dry performance filter by AFe. I plan to head that direction next time so I don't have to mess with the mass air flow sensor.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:14 PM
MiniMiAmor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Okay since no one on this forum gives you advice anymore, first re-install the stock filter. Then drive around a mile or two. Head back home or wherever and install the K&N filter. Drive around a bit. If the same issue occurs, could be because your K&N filter is over oiled up. Just so you know there is a dry performance filter by AFe. I plan to head that direction next time so I don't have to mess with the mass air flow sensor. Good luck.
Thanks for the response.

Let's assume it's an oily filter. The sensors would know this as soon as I set the alarm, without ever having driven it with the K&N filter? And it would trip the alarm instead of throwing on a warning light?

Just to be clear, the car was never turned on nor driven between filter swaps. I guess it's possible the sensing takes place when the hood switch is activated upon opening and/or closing.

Still, very strange behavior over an air filter, right?

Old 11-03-2013, 01:19 PM
watchluvr4ever
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Nevermind, I misunderstood your post.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:25 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Not sure an oily filter could set off An anti theft alarm....lol...it might set a engine trouble code/yellow light...
Had to check to make sure it was not April 1st....

My guess...
Do the change then drive...
Bet having the hood open then not driving set off some kind of timer...activating the alarm...

Old 11-03-2013, 01:31 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Not sure an oily filter could set off An anti theft alarm....lol...it might set a engine trouble code/yellow light... Had to check to make sure it was not April 1st.... My guess... Do the change then drive... Bet having the hood open then not driving set off some kind of timer...activating the alarm...
Thought the same but realized these MINIs aren't normal and do weird things at weird opportune times hahaha.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 PM
MiniMiAmor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Not sure an oily filter could set off An anti theft alarm....lol...it might set a engine trouble code/yellow light... Had to check to make sure it was not April 1st.... My guess... Do the change then drive... Bet having the hood open then not driving set off some kind of timer...activating the alarm...
Good idea. Maybe I'll go for a spin between changes to see if it resets the system. And just to be sure, maybe I'll take a spin between each of the three Torx bolts I loosen on the air box.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:34 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Thought the same but realized these MINIs aren't normal and do weird things at weird opportune times hahaha.

Maybe the op could try some holy water or burn some insense.... Drive out the evil spirits?!
This is a odd one!!

One thought....
Warrenty expiration/voiding monitoring system is kicking in?! Jk.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMiAmor
Thanks for the response. Let's assume it's an oily filter. The sensors would know this as soon as I set the alarm, without ever having driven it with the K&N filter? And it would trip the alarm instead of throwing on a warning light? Just to be clear, the car was never turned on nor driven between filter swaps. I guess it's possible the sensing takes place when the hood switch is activated upon opening and/or closing. Still, very strange behavior over an air filter, right?
Another option since you mention that, leave the hood slightly open but closed. Make sure your car is locked. Leave it for 15 mins alone. Then go change the filter since your hood will be opened slightly while car is locked. The car maybe in your situation needs to be completely shut down to change your filter. I've never had a situation like you or heard of it. But it might work. If not next oil change let the dealer handle it, then you can blame them;-).

Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Check the hood switch it is on the strut tower with a little black bracket. Maybe it's bent or something. The engine and sensors have absolutely nothing to do with the alarm.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
Maybe the alarm senses more air getting in

Bad joke, sorry

Old 11-03-2013, 03:53 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Check the hood switch it is on the strut tower with a little black bracket. Maybe it's bent or something. The engine and sensors have absolutely nothing to do with the alarm.
This 1000x

Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed, I can't believe we're having this conversation.

I thought the same thing to when i switched out my cupholders and the tire pressure sensors went on.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 AM
burnsranch
1st Gear
Lucas the prince of darkness, is a British Tradition