R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Not Normal & I'm Pissed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Not Normal & I'm Pissed

Though not clear, I know what that second picture in row one looks like. And I'm not at all happy about it being labeled Not Normal. Who ever cleared that needs to be talked to. I know MINI isn't Subaru, but they need to take a look at who all buys their product.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Insanelovewithismael
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree. They need to do their research before doing this. All though its true what it says that there is no normal Mini Cooper. I just don't agree with the picture they selected. They could of piked something else like a Marxian lol

Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's not right. Equating two dudes kissing with a 1940s race car driver riding a flaming donkey...insulting, and WAY too politically charged for a car manufacturer.

"Not normal" = abnormal, and there is nothing abnormal about two people being affectionate with each other.

Was this on the MINI USA site?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
I agree it may not have been the best marketing idea to encompass gay people into their Not Normal campaign but I don't feel like they are trying to spin it in a negative way. Young gay people these days take on a much different approach to their sexuality then previous generations have. Today, being different is looked upon in a whole different light than it was 20 years ago. In the past gay people fought to prove that they were not "monsters" and now young gay people embrace their sexuality on a lot more "yeah, I'm different, what about it?" kind of approach. I don't think Mini is trying to be derogatory toward gay people. They have traditionally been very embracing toward gay culture. I just think the not normal campaign is marketing design that tries to verge on slightly rattling.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Royson G
Was this on the MINI USA site?
It's the new video and tag line that they're pushing. You have to go through the video to get into the web site. I believe that if you watch the video, it is actually a "normal" M/F couple. But the close crop and quality of the picture make it look like a M/M couple. WTF Not Normal means, in either case, is something MINI needs to figure out and explain.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
It's the new video and tag line that they're pushing. You have to go through the video to get into the web site. I believe that if you watch the video, it is actually a "normal" M/F couple. But the close crop and quality of the picture make it look like a M/M couple. WTF Not Normal means, in either case, is something MINI needs to figure out and explain.
So it's actually a dude kissing a chick that looks like a dude? Then I agree, that's not normal.

But seriously, regardless of gender, what's not normal about that picture? I agree with you, Mini needs to explain.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Isn't it a just a still from the scene in the "Not Normal" video where the couple is kissing passionately in the crowded elevator while everyone else stands around in shocked silence?

The "Not Normal" part is their outrageous display of affection in public... At least that's what I got....

I hope the girl in the video doesn't read this thread! lol....

Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bmtespar
Today, being different is looked upon in a whole different light than it was 20 years ago.
As long as "different" kids are still being beaten, verbally abused, killed, and are committing suicide there is no place in advertising for this kind of mistake. We (myself) as costal dwellers are relativly insulated from what goes on in middle America. Yes, it has gotten better, but there is still a very, very long way to go.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
I agree with you that this was a poor choice on some ad exec's part, so don't take my comment the wrong way. One way to look at it is as Royson says "Not normal = abnormal." I tend to look at it another way. Not normal means being out of the ordinary or in other words extraordinary. When somebody says I'm not normal, I thank them for the compliment. I think MINI was trying to portray "not normal" as good, not something else. Again, I agree that they went about this in the wrong way.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mr_Bueno
Isn't it a just a still from the scene in the "Not Normal" video where the couple is kissing passionately in the crowded elevator while everyone else stands around in shocked silence?

The "Not Normal" part is their outrageous display of affection in public... At least that's what I got....
It is, but if you just look at the photo and don't watch the video, then the takeaway is that that it is two dudes.

Last edited by Royson G; 11-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Chili4
3rd Gear
Poor choice on mini's part--if it offends you you need to say something.

I just took it as being normal is boring. I took it as embrace life, be different, stand up, don't be like everyone else, or like society says you should be. Push the envelope.

I grew up in a very religious environment and even though I'm "straight" I am plenty bizarre to make palms hit heads and heads shake.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Ok, now that I've watched the video I'm even more offended. The implication is that if you are the type of person to buy a Mini, you like glow in the dark hula-hoops, rave clubs, listening to shitty bands in someone's basement, and driving in paint.

Who the eff are they trying to appeal to? As far as I can tell from the video, it's people who don't have jobs, and like to use their car for everything except driving enjoyment.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
As long as "different" kids are still being beaten, verbally abused, killed, and are committing suicide there is no place in advertising for this kind of mistake. We (myself) as costal dwellers are relativly insulated from what goes on in middle America. Yes, it has gotten better, but there is still a very, very long way to go.
I totally understand your frustration Seally. I just think in this particular case you are going after the wrong company (insert Chick-a-Filet comment here). Another poster summed it up best by suggesting the intent of Mini was to equate not normal with being extraordinary. Besides, as it turns out, the picture seems to be a close up of a man and woman making out in public. I am all for equality but I also believe in fighting the correct enemy and Mini had never given me a reason to feel they were anti gay.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
never seeing the video and looking at the picture i initially saw it as a guy being kissed by a considerably older woman. the color/style of her hair and i guess facial expression made it look that way to me.

freud says what to each of our interpretations ?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
I'm not saying that MINI is anti-gay or that they treat their gay customers any different (for better or worse). What I'm saying is that, in their quest for cutting edge, avant garde, youification advertising, someone let a picture go that is open to interpretation and shows exceptionally poor judgement. I'm involved in this stuff for a living. We agonize over what images to use. They have to be multiculturally sensitive, they have to show us in a positive light, they have to be clear and professional, they have to be etc., etc. etc. Nothing goes out until it has been vetted to death. I'm sure there are people at MINI that had the same thought as I did. And, still, it made it out. That shows that someone's opinion was marginalized and that's what POs me because I have a good idea of why. They need to pull it, apologize, learn from it, and move on.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM
gerry2153
4th Gear
I'm not saying that MINI is anti-gay or that they treat their gay customers any different (for better or worse). What I'm saying is that, in their quest for cutting edge, avant garde, youification advertising, someone let a picture go that is open to interpretation and shows exceptionally poor judgement. I'm involved in this stuff for a living. We agonize over what images to use. They have to be multiculturally sensitive, they have to show us in a positive light, they have to be clear and professional, they have to be etc., etc. etc. Nothing goes out until it has been vetted to death. I'm sure there are people at MINI that had the same thought as I did. And, still, it made it out. That shows that someone's opinion was marginalized and that's what POs me because I have a good idea of why. They need to pull it, apologize, learn from it, and move on.
WOW ..... you really need to go watch the video and stop making assumptions (imo)

Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
It's a man and a woman kissing, and it's in public, something that is usually not normal.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Not sure how any of you could have looked at the person on the right and made an assumption about that person's gender. It's too hard to tell with the little bit of visual info provided. So... you know what they say about assumptions.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM
gerry2153
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Not sure how any of you could have looked at the person on the right and made an assumption about that person's gender. It's too hard to tell with the little bit of visual info provided. So... you know what they say about assumptions.
+1 exactly

Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gerry2153
WOW ..... you really need to go watch the video and stop making assumptions (imo)
It's all about opinions and I respect yours. Thank you.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
That's a man, baby.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
Simply stunning how many people that I have just read comments from who see this as an "anti-gay" charge or politically loaded....watch the video and it's clear that half of the **** said on this thread makes absolutely no sense....yes everyone has their own beliefs and interpretations, but such is true in ANY marketing campaign..."not-normal" is a campaign about shock value, something that is outrageously different for the "norm"...you don't see a couple going at it in a crowded elevator, you don't see a car driving through paint, creating splatter art (**** I immediately thought of Jackson Pollock)....bright colors catch the eyes and it's sad that some of you have to be so degrading to a company without REALLY taking the time to look into it, instead you bash them in public....if you have a problem with the company, leave it, leave here...don't be the one to stir the pot and create an argument, look at all sides before taking it personal....

Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM
JimW
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is truly a confusing thread. Its an ad. They are tying to sell cars. Clearly, they want this ad to sell an image that might appeal to people who want to perceive themselves as mainstream. If it doesn't appeal to you move on.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hendricks488
Simply stunning how many people that I have just read comments from who see this as an "anti-gay" charge or politically loaded....watch the video and it's clear that half of the **** said on this thread makes absolutely no sense....yes everyone has their own beliefs and interpretations, but such is true in ANY marketing campaign..."not-normal" is a campaign about shock value, something that is outrageously different for the "norm"...you don't see a couple going at it in a crowded elevator, you don't see a car driving through paint, creating splatter art (**** I immediately thought of Jackson Pollock)....bright colors catch the eyes and it's sad that some of you have to be so degrading to a company without REALLY taking the time to look into it, instead you bash them in public....if you have a problem with the company, leave it, leave here...don't be the one to stir the pot and create an argument, look at all sides before taking it personal....
I think that you're the one who needs to look at all sides. The photo posted above can very reasonably be interpreted as two dudes kissing, with the label "Not Normal" immediately next to it. It pops up every time you go to the Mini USA site. It is also reasonable to think that many people are not going to voluntarily watch the video that goes along with it which clears up the gender issue but introduces another whole set of problems on its own. I know I always click off of videos that pop up on commercial web sites.

Therefore, it is entirely reasonable to criticize Mini for the poor choice of ad content that can be easliy and reasonably misinterpreted. Understand?

Now, please tell us who above is being "degrading" towards Mini? And please tell us why, if we have a problem with one ad the company makes, should we (as you suggest above) sell our cars and leave this site instead of questioning Mini about it? Don't you think that's a bit ridiculous?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Royson G
I think that you're the one who needs to look at all sides. The photo posted above can very reasonably be interpreted as two dudes kissing, with the label "Not Normal" immediately next to it. It pops up every time you go to the Mini USA site. It is also reasonable to think that many people are not going to voluntarily watch the video that goes along with it which clears up the gender issue but introduces another whole set of problems on its own. I know I always click off of videos that pop up on commercial web sites.

Therefore, it is entirely reasonable to criticize Mini for the poor choice of ad content that can be easliy and reasonably misinterpreted. Understand?

Now, please tell us who above is being "degrading" towards Mini? And please tell us why, if we have a problem with one ad the company makes, should we (as you suggest above) sell our cars and leave this site instead of questioning Mini about it? Don't you think that's a bit ridiculous?
Highly debatable. I think a reasonable person would either blow it off and not make any assumption, or take the time to look at the video before jumping to a conclusion and publicly criticizing the ad.

Quick Reply: R60 Not Normal & I'm Pissed