R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 2012 Countryman 4 or 2012 VW Golf R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 AM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Countryman 4 or 2012 VW Golf R?

Hello,

Not sure if in fact it is down to these two, but so far, these are the two that I like. When you really get into it, they aren't that far off either as cars. A comparably equipped Countryman 4 is quite similarly priced to the Golf R.

Similarities:
AWD
Turbo 4
4 Door
Great Handling
Plenty of features
Good interior space

Differences:
Countryman is slightly higher.
Countryman in 300lbs lighter.
Countryman gets better fuel economy.
Golf R is quicker.
Golf R handles better.
Golf R is a better "daily" ride.

With all that said, I am seriously considering tuning either car with an ecu mod, upgraded brake pads, and better tires. Also, the 17" size on the CM has hardly any proper tires to choose from, so I'd look for an 18" equipped CM or upgrade the wheels.

Why?
We've just had another little bundle of love join our family. We have a 4 year old and a six week old. My 2011 MCS feels too small! We just bought my wife a 2013 VW GLI and could not be happier. Interior space, ride, amenities, all perfect for our small family. VW's are really coming along. Getting in and out of the cooper doesn't seem to be as fun anymore, almost somewhat of a chore. With four doors and AWD here in Colorado, my driving life seems easier, and more enjoyable. Also, a quieter ride would also help.

Thanks for your feedback.

aaron

Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Craigeo
2nd Gear
I was making the same debate. But the $7000.00 price difference helped me finalize my decision. This is the first non-VW I have owned in almost 20 years... I live in VT and snow is a factor so I really like the ground clearance as well....

Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can justify the price difference, the Golf R will be a better car in pretty much every measurable way except fuel economy and dealership service.

Golf R will be:
Quicker
Faster
Quieter
More reliable
Fewer rattles/squeaks
More interior room, more luggage space
Actual spare tire
WAY better ergonomics
WAY better bluetooth/nav/satellite radio implementation
Better aftermarket support

The Countryman is a very good car for what it is, but if the fuel economy doesn't bother you, I would go for the R.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM
spirit bear
1st Gear
seems like at the high end of price they are actually pretty similar. 4 door, 4 wheel drive, touch screen nav, sunroof, premium sound, paint, leather, 18 inch wheels, security, sunroof etc for 36 k. A similarly configured mini all 4 is around 36-37k. The base model is certainly much cheaper on the mini side though

Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
That's the same insight I've been on Royson. Although, the CM is a car that stands out more than a Golf. Granted, it is the R, but the VW really looks like every other Golf on the road at first glance. Pretty plain if you ask me.

The CM has a more direct approach and coincidentally, more direct steering. It is also more of a "hoot" to drive in my opinion.

Any more feedback will be appreciated.

aaron

Old 10-31-2012, 05:02 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I personally find the Golf to be pretty boring inside and out. If I was going to go with a boring interior, I'd probably pick a WRX over the Golf. The Countryman has a lot more soul. I look forward to driving it every day and miss it when I'm on vacation. I don't think I'd feel that way about a Golf.

I'm not usually too big on American cars, but the new Ford Focus ST is looking pretty good. Too bad they're not making an AWD version (yet?).

I've never been in the back of a Golf, but I find it hard to believe that it's roomier.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
R60
1st Gear
Golf R!

When you get a CM to comparable equipment levels, the Golf R actually costs less. There is no $7K advantage.

Everyday living is just easier in the "R". A couple seemingly innocuous touches, for example, that are frustrating in the MINI:

-The "R" keyless system is far superior, just touch the door handle it opens, no need to PUSH the silly button in, then WAIT for the slow servo response.

-Window switch placement is just plain dumb. Thank god it's fixed for '13.

-Lock-unlock switch location and function are similarly silly.

-Trip computer/iPod interface is tedious.

-Interior material quality, lacking. MINI has a lot of "hard", gimmicky plastic.

Those are just a few, off the top. I haven't driven it in a while.

Overall, I do love the Countryman. It does drive really, really well. Steering and brakes are fantastic. The big selling points were the four doors, rear-seat legroom and slightly higher ground clearance to replace an Impreza Outback Sport.

Bi-weekly ski trips don't require exclusive use of my V8 Touareg, the Countryman does well as an alternative for two people and gear. The rear buckets allow the skis to slip through.

Resale value on an "R" is actually greater than on the CM, which is saying something. 08's are still selling in the mid twenties

I'll be replacing my Touareg before I hit 90k (next spring), and had initially though of getting an additional CM for the household, but those little things are frustrating enough that I won't have it as my daily driver. I will likely replace it with a TDI Touareg.

My thoughts. Good luck.

Last edited by R60; 11-02-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
Great insight R60. Coming from a VW/Mini owner as well, I agree with everything you are saying. I think it means what I really want to "deal" with regarding a CM as opposed to "enjoying" the daily driving of a Golf R.

aaron

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
R60
1st Gear
Originally Posted by praecurvo
I think it means what I really want to "deal" with regarding a CM as opposed to "enjoying" the daily driving of a Golf R.

aaron
Exactly!

Also, congratulations on the newborn.

Cheers,

Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 AM
days-like-this
4th Gear
What's the difference in ground clearance of the two? I love the increased ground clearance on the CM. With that said, I'd seriously consider the R. The CM's mileage has been so so but what a snow machine it is!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Skuhi
1st Gear
My personal opinion- I live in country where VW is the second most common car and there are some things I can say:
At first, quality really isn't as good as they say (most of the Golfs and Passats I know have problems)- I don't say it's bad, but BMW Group is another level. There's completely another "atmosphere" in the interior.

Secondly- reviewers told that Golf R is really far from the sweetspot of whole Golf range. Steering wheel feels "dead" and there isn't any "driving fun"- it understeers very soon and there's nothing more than speed in the straight line.
One proof- VW ended Golf R import to my country (after 3 sold cars, with one as press office car), but on the other hand, there are many Countrymans and at least 3 orders for JCW GP.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM
R60
1st Gear
Originally Posted by days-like-this
What's the difference in ground clearance of the two? I love the increased ground clearance on the CM. With that said, I'd seriously consider the R. The CM's mileage has been so so but what a snow machine it is!
MINI CM= 5.86"
VW Golf R= 5.0"

Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 PM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R60
MINI CM= 5.86"
VW Golf R= 5.0"
Wow, who knew?

aaron

Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 PM
R60
1st Gear
Originally Posted by praecurvo
Wow, who knew?

aaron
Also, I believe there is only a 117 lb. difference between the all4 and the "R", not 300 lbs. :-)

Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 AM
days-like-this
4th Gear
Originally Posted by R60
MINI CM= 5.86"
VW Golf R= 5.0"
Is that the sport suspension or standard suspension at 5.86"? I see you have sport. I wished I would have ordered it.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Golf R - Far better vehicle than the Countryman in every respect. Styling is a personal choice, but the VW is the better vehicle!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
spirit bear
1st Gear
I just test drove an r and absolutely loved it. I am warming up more on the looks. I will test drive a 2013 countryman at some point before I make a decision. The nightmare stories about countryman interior rattles, engine failures and the fact that the mini dealer is an hour away may steer me towards the r. I thought the interior of the r was much higher quality

Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 AM
PooLeArMor
2nd Gear
if u gonna get the Golf R then perpare to change the cam follower on every oil change ... part cost $50... DIY take 20mins top

only fully loaded R20 got keyless it would be at $37000.... which cant compare to the CM4

mod for mod.... take the R20.....

Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 AM
R60
1st Gear
Originally Posted by days-like-this
Is that the sport suspension or standard suspension at 5.86"? I see you have sport. I wished I would have ordered it.
Standard suspension.

Regarding the Sport Suspension, I think the sweet spot is:

sport suspension + 17" wheels

I drove every wheel/suspension combination and found the perfect balance that suits real-world driving to be SS + 17s.

I think the 17s still look good and not too wimpy.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Countryman 4 or 2012 VW Golf R?-r60tb.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM
PooLeArMor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spirit bear
I just test drove an r and absolutely loved it. I am warming up more on the looks. I will test drive a 2013 countryman at some point before I make a decision. The nightmare stories about countryman interior rattles, engine failures and the fact that the mini dealer is an hour away may steer me towards the r. I thought the interior of the r was much higher quality

just saying...... u will get all the same problems in the VW too...

i came from MKV GTI....

Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM
spirit bear
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PooLeArMor
if u gonna get the Golf R then perpare to change the cam follower on every oil change ... part cost $50... DIY take 20mins top

only fully loaded R20 got keyless it would be at $37000.... which cant compare to the CM4

mod for mod.... take the R20.....
This problem seems to have been fixed since the golf r actually has the audi engine...

http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/...ent&p=77363535

Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 AM
PooLeArMor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spirit bear
This problem seems to have been fixed since the golf r actually has the audi engine...

http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/...ent&p=77363535

the cam follower problem will never be fixed.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM
SmithWerks
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the cam followers are good for 20K. 15K if you drive like a moron & dont change your oil often.

As a 20yr+ VW/Audi owner who now has a 12' CMS4 I can clearly tell the differences btwn the brands.

I looked at the R as well. It was aprox $6K more than my equipped CM.
I honestly like the looks of the CM better but the R is a better performer & I'd say more reliable & maybe not on paper, but the R will hold resale better in actual resale.

To me the R is still a tad boring looking, not enough pizzaz for the $.
It does have much better & cheaper aftermarket support. It's been produced for generations & there is a slightly better build quality IMO.

I went with the CM because it was AWD & Manual for $6K less than the R.
I considered the 5dr WRX Limited & could even cope w/ the asian interior, but in 12' they still had the problematic & low MPG 2.5L engine.

I've been (knock on wood) lucky w/ my CM so far. I wisg there was a bit more aftermarket support & it could certainly use a few more HP. The Milage is a solid 5mpg under hwy sticker as well. (even during the granny break-in period)

VW
R power
R sound
VW aftermarket
better interior
better build
better performance
better long term resale
better ergonomics
-
boring interior
boring exterior
pricey, little negotiation. (VW credit has much better rates tho)

MINI CM
looks different
fully customizable
quirky fun
fun to drive
AWD+manual
-
no spare
limited travel in suspension
vinyl seats in a 30K+ car..?
underpowered
pricey/limited aftermarket support
loud interior
1st gen issues. (T-stat hsg, Clutch, etc)
BMW lack of acknowledgment for issues

Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R60
Standard suspension.

Regarding the Sport Suspension, I think the sweet spot is:

sport suspension + 17" wheels

I drove every wheel/suspension combination and found the perfect balance that suits real-world driving to be SS + 17s.

I think the 17s still look good and not too wimpy.
Totally agree. The Sport Suspension is 10mm (.4") lower than standard.

While the VW may indicate 5" as GC, you will find that most of the VW chassis is close to 5" from the ground, while with the CMSA4, most of the chassis is considerably higher than 5.4-5.8" spec and will give much less drag in deeper snow. The low point on the CMSA4 is at the rear shock mounts, while the front end (excluding the flexible spoilers near front wheels) is about 7-7.5" on my car with Sport Suspension.

We also have a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (I love VW's) and there is no way it is comparable in GC to our CMSA4. It is WAY lower with standard suspension. I considered the Golf R earlier this year but GC was one reason to reject it, along with poor fuel economy and availability.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
PooLeArMor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SmithWerks
the cam followers are good for 20K. 15K if you drive like a moron & dont change your oil often.

yes the cam follower are good for 15k - 20k if u are on KO3 turbo but the R is KO4 turbo so u would need to change the cam follower on every oil change.

Quick Reply: R60 2012 Countryman 4 or 2012 VW Golf R?