R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 iPhone 5 + MINI Connected

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:59 PM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone 5 + MINI Connected

folks,

I just received my Lightning to 30-pin adapter from Apple.

I can confirm that MINI Connected sees and interacts with the iPhone 5, connected through the supplied Y-cable, without issue.

I can also confirm that iPod Out (a.k.a. Plugin in the MINI Connected menu) does not function - I get a no compatible USB devices error.

I have an early '11, so I'm at least happy that I can charge my phone (the regular USB to Lightning cable would not even do that).

Last edited by cyberwoozle; 10-11-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cyberwoozle
folks,

I just received my Lightning to 30-pin adapter from Apple.

I can confirm that MINI Connected sees and interacts with the iPhone 5 without issue.

I can also confirm that iPod Out (a.k.a. Plugin in the MINI Connected menu) does not function - I get a no compatible USB devices error.

I have an early '11, so I'm at least happy that I can charge my phone (the regular USB to Lightning cable would not even do that).
Excellent news. I can't wait to get my adapter tomorrow (I hope Apple doesn't require a signature on this). It is good to know we only lose a function that most people don't even realize is there. I am going to miss my video though. Oh well, that's what the ipad and old ipods are for.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM
aleclee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cyberwoozle
I can confirm that MINI Connected sees and interacts with the iPhone 5 without issue.
W00t! Got my phone yesterday. My adapter is due on Tuesday. Best of all, my MINI is due in some time next week too!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 AM
millicentmini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cyberwoozle, did you notice any issue with the sound volume? Tried mine yesterday and while it reads the device and charges, you can barely hear the sound output through the speakers. I've been using the Audio over Bluetooth option which sounds good, but of course, doesn't charge.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Awesome, good to know - I got mine cheaper though from Cheap iPhone 5 Lightning Adapters for like $12. I heard apple is set to make BILLIONS off of their ridiculous adapter, I don't know how true that is - but just thought i'd throw that out there

I've got an 09 clubby now, so I dont' have Mini Connect - but I may trade it in this weekend for an 12 CountryMan with MC - we'll see

Last edited by tattedXB; 10-11-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by millicentmini
Cyberwoozle, did you notice any issue with the sound volume? Tried mine yesterday and while it reads the device and charges, you can barely hear the sound output through the speakers. I've been using the Audio over Bluetooth option which sounds good, but of course, doesn't charge.
hmm, mine is working well - I played audio from the iPhone over the speakers without issue, and the MINI Connected gang of Coach, Engine & Climate all chime in as they should.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
I actually got my iPhone 5 a few days before my new CM with connected, got my adapter and I don't notice anything that DOESNT work...all of my music comes up, artwork, MINI connected app syncs up, the Google Function, FB, News options all work...it looks solid, but never had a 4 hooked up to it to know anything different, but havent noticed compatibility issues

Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM
WestonJCW
3rd Gear
Hendricks,are you able to play video?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hendricks488
I actually got my iPhone 5 a few days before my new CM with connected, got my adapter and I don't notice anything that DOESNT work...all of my music comes up, artwork, MINI connected app syncs up, the Google Function, FB, News options all work...it looks solid, but never had a 4 hooked up to it to know anything different, but havent noticed compatibility issues
The plugin in the MINI Connected is the big question mark. From everything thats been said it shouldn't work.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
have not played video...don't see the point in playing video while driving haha but no MINI connected works just fine as far as I can tell....only ***** of it is, that I have to take the phone out of the case to plug in the adapter...but at least everything works (that i can tell)

Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
The plugin in the MINI Connected is the big question mark. From everything thats been said it shouldn't work.
It's not really a question. It will not work.

But it also was not very useful - the interface was REALLY slow. There's already a pretty good UI for using your playlists and searching for songs by artist/album/etc built into Connected.

I never even knew the plugin existed until just before the iPhone 5 came out, and after trying it I didn't miss it one bit.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kgelner
It's not really a question. It will not work.

But it also was not very useful - the interface was REALLY slow. There's already a pretty good UI for using your playlists and searching for songs by artist/album/etc built into Connected.

I never even knew the plugin existed until just before the iPhone 5 came out, and after trying it I didn't miss it one bit.
I guess some of that is a matter of opinion. IMO it works faster and look 1000x better than MINIs attempt to emulate it.

The real kicker is that with a jailbroken iphone, you can use the ipod out interface to display ANYTHING. You could watch youtube, use your favorite maps app, see email . . . you name it, you could do it.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:37 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
And does this adapter work with the stereo using the MINI y-cable?

I know the Apple adapter includes a DAC to account for some of the price, but not sure if the MINI system needs it though.
For me the adaptor works with the MINI Y cable, in fact I have the adaptor is at the end of a six-foot dock extension cable coming from the Y-Connector cable.

I'm pretty sure the MINI gets audio via the analog audio cable, otherwise why else include that in the cable? And you can verify by pulling the audio cable during music playback, the audio stops...

Old 10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hendricks488
You are missing the plugin and under external devices when playing music there is a videos option that no longer works.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
yah videos don't work but EVERYTHING else works...connected works great....updates my phone with all of the vehicle info, and connects through the apps no problems....only problem that i see is that I have to take the phone out of my case to plug it in because the adapter doesnt work with a case on the phone :p

Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
For what it's worth, even just plugging the standard iPhone 5 "Lightning" cable into my MINI Connected USB jack works for music playback -- playlists, artist name, song, artwork, etc all displays on the NAV screen.

Just not good for FM, because the cable isn't shielded and generates interference. Haven't gotten the adapter yet, it'll likely solve the radio interference issue.

And I haven't found a iPhone 5 mount that I like yet, kludging along with an
Exogear Exomount Exogear Exomount
for now.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Fleebnork
Neutral
Does anyone know if/when the 2013s will have stuff updated for the iPhone 5?

I am hoping to be able to get a Countryman S next spring after tax returns. Maybe things will be updated by then.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM
aleclee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fleebnork

I am hoping to be able to get a Countryman S next spring after tax returns. Maybe things will be updated by then.
Most reports indicate that nothing needs to be updated except the cable and you can work around that with an adapter. With the right cable/adapter, everything works except video and that seems to be more an issue with the Lightning connector than anything else. Maybe BMW will come up with a new cable that can do video through the headphone jack (assuming Apple still supports that) but I suspect BMW will just punt on that feature.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fleebnork

a new cable will eventually come out, and probably new arm rest dock. But the loss of the plugin isn't going to change with a new cable. That piece is dead, and a real shame.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
a new cable will eventually come out, and probably new arm rest dock. But the loss of the plugin isn't going to change with a new cable. That piece is dead, and a real shame.
While I was not a fan of the iPOD out feature (not counting jail broken iphones which is another story), I am going to miss video. I am not so sure an updated cable will help. If the connected system only accepts analog video, then a new update to the system hardware should be on tap in the future. In the mean time be prepared to dust off dvd's and older iphones/ipod video's.

Michael

Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear

I'm confused. Everyone is saying the plugin works just fine.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pdoel
I'm confused. Everyone is saying the plugin works just fine.
who said that?

Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear

who said that?
Are you not reading this thread? Several people have said that other than video, EVERYTHING else is working just fine.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pdoel
Are you not reading this thread? Several people have said that other than video, EVERYTHING else is working just fine.
well it can't work, so beyond that I'm not sure.

this is the plugin feature, I think most people are confused over the terminology.

Quick Reply: R60 iPhone 5 + MINI Connected