R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 New 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman R60 owner - some questions on fixing a few things

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 04:27 PM
JasonAZ
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman R60 owner - some questions on fixing a few things

Hello! We bought our first Mini as a first car for our son who will be driving soon. It's a 2012 Countryman base model... and it's a salvage title due to a hit in the rear. Before buying it, I did have the frame checked and it's all straight, wheels are fine and damage was mostly cosmetic. Anyway, as a result, we got the car super-cheap and it drives really well. I've attached pics of the damage, post accident just for reference.

Pics: 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman base model

There are a few things that should be cleaned up/repaired as a result of the accident and subsequent repair job the previous owner did and I am looking for some help and guidance on these items.
  1. All the door sill covers are gone. I can't seem to find replacements for these. Don't need to be OEM, but something to make it look nicer. Actually, ESC has the left side ones, but they are $100 for the pair. They don't have the right side ones (I'd think they would be the same though...). Any less expensive options rather than spend $200+?
  2. The entire rear compartment needs to be "fixed" and/or reassembled. It seems to be intact, but not put back together and there may be some missing parts. I know I'm missing the floorboard that lifts up (maybe? Mine's a 5-seater). There also seems to be a connector on the right side that isn't connected to anything. No idea what that's for - perhaps the 12v outlet. The rear light is missing and I can't find the connector cable for it... I can't find a good parts diagram or picture to figure out what I may be missing here. I cannot find the part number for the trunk light that's missing as well.
  3. I can't find the parts where the string/cord attachment for the trunk/boot cover attaches to the hatchback so that it lifts up when you open the hatchback (see pics).
Unrelated to the accident, but issues I want to fix:
  1. The driver's window rolls up and down, but oddly, it can only do it 2-3 inches at a time (exactly the same as this video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2KsA7YanqQ0) . So I have to press the driver's window switch about 5-6 times to roll it all the way down, and 5-6 more to roll it up. All the other windows work normally.
  2. Despite looking through the owners manual, I do not understand what the items inside the center console arm rest are for, or how that's intended to work.
  3. The headrests on the rear seats (3 back seats) only move up and down one notch. No matter how hard I push or pull them (when pressing the button on the side inwards), they do not move further and I can't remove them from the seat. I'd really like to get that middle seat one down flush for visibility, but I feel like if I pull on it any harder, it's going to break. Is there some trick I'm missing?
Any help on these is much appreciated!

Old 08-09-2023, 09:30 AM
JasonAZ
Neutral
Old 08-09-2023, 10:22 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Where are you looking for part numbers? RealOEM is your best friend.

For the head rests, there is a second button on them that you have to push in to take them out or push them down further. It's small, so you may need a screwdriver.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:24 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Other than that, I would say check your local U Pull It lot for cheap parts and possibly examples of how things should look.

I looked at the pictures of the arm rest interior and I don't know what that is either. It looks like some sort of phone charging system, but I don't know. I didn't get that option on my R60.

The following users liked this post:
MReiland (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 12:45 PM
JasonAZ
Neutral
Thanks for the reply. You solved my issue with the headrests! To move them all the way down, you're right - there was a second hidden button on the opposite side and I had to press them both at the same time to lower them.

Thank you for the RealOEM reference - VERY helpful for finding part numbers! Now I need to find someplace that has the door sills covers (the thin aluminum plates) for a decent price.

Unfortunately, none of my local yards have any Mini Coopers, much less an R60. Odd for a city as large as Phoenix, but I'll keep checking.

My last major issue is trying to fix the driver side window thing. The motor sounds really strong... wonder if it's the switch that's a problem, or something else. The window seems to be correctly in the track.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2KsA7YanqQ0