R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 07:02 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardjpalmer
Thanks McGrumpy! They're "matte gunmetal" TSW wheels. I wanted black originally but I think these look better.
I’ve been leaning towards blacking out my chrome and I want some black wheels... but those are really sharp!

Old 06-30-2018, 04:25 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Finished up my project, put a JM40 turbo and catless downpipe in “Duncan”. Even with the secondary cat and resonator and stock muffler in place still, he sounds mean! Pops and burbles are LOUD! I love it! Lol. Still working out a couple of gremlins but he is fully driving again after being down for two days. Having a weird surge where I can hear it dumping boost cyclically and power drops off then surges as the valve shuts again....???? Have an email in to JMTC, I’m sure I’ll get this figured out, but at the moment I’m a little stumped. It only happens under mild acceleration (1/4 throttle) but not if I ease into it or get on it. When I step into it IT GOES! Torque steer today for the first time ever! Maybe the ECU just needs time to adjust? It a little bit better today than it was yesterday. Well.... fingers crossed. Cheers!!

Installed our new 18” Turbo Fan wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on Heidi, my wife’s 2015 CMS ALL4 in Light Coffee....best color ever!!! Looks just like yours Mr. Grumpy! Love the look and it’s a great car...so glad we stayed with the R60 instead of going huge with the F60!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:13 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic

Installed our new 18” Turbo Fan wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on Heidi, my wife’s 2015 CMS ALL4 in Light Coffee....best color ever!!! Looks just like yours Mr. Grumpy! Love the look and it’s a great car...so glad we stayed with the R60 instead of going huge with the F60!
Awesome, I’ll bet it looks great! I love the color too! I’m getting a new battery put in at the moment.
But my next project is to do a temporary blackout of the chrome and possibly the wheels, to see how I like the look.
+1 for plastic-dip being removable:-)

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 06-30-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Ok, I blacked out the chrome last night and I am very happy with the look! Didn’t get to the wheels yet. Hopefully this afternoon. I think I’ll eventually have to go with the blackout tape from way for the belt line, but for the first attempt, the plasti-dip worked pretty well, especially on the head and taillight rings. Tried to get a bit too fancy on the emblems and need to do a little bit of touch up, but it looks sharp! Can’t wait to see it with black wheels too! Here we are so far: compared to the photo a few posts above.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:47 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Looks very nice....compliments the color well. Think twice before ditching those wheels though! You know how much I like those....they make the car imo! Not what everybody is running! I drove ours last night first time since the wheel/tire swap....the 18” non rf’s are comfortable!

Old 07-02-2018, 08:47 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
I passed inspection

Manic Stage2, 42mm Turbo, Catless DP, no 2nd Cat and Tints.

I almost passed out from anxiety

Old 07-02-2018, 09:58 PM
PureWorks
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Grumpy—looks great!! Nice job!

Old 07-02-2018, 11:56 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Thanks! I just finished doing the wheels too, lol. Too dark out now, but I’ll post a picture tomorrow.....gonna have to see if Wifey likes it that way or not. I only used plasti-dip on them for now, so that I can go back to silver if I want to. If I do decide to keep it permanently, I’ll either get some good wheel paint, or I have a friend who does powder coating..... who knows? :-)
I like it though! I mean the guy who owned it previously paid a nice little chunk of change for the blackout headlight interiors, but didn’t go black with the beauty ring? It’s just not right! Lol

But it’s so nice to only have to worry about cosmetic issues now! I guess that old turbo must have been going out for as long as I’ve had the car, because it’s a whole new animal now! It’s running the it ever has (since I’ve had it). It feels “torquey” and quick like it never did before. And with the catless DP, it sounds fantastic when you put your foot in it! I’m smiling all the way down the road, lol. Probably look like an idiot with the huge grin I get when I drive it now! Ha ha.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 07-03-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:10 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yes,like the matt gunmetal on the blue also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-03-2018, 09:49 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes,like the matt gunmetal on the blue also.
That does look really sharp!

Old 07-03-2018, 09:55 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Ok so, yesterday I finished the blackout on Duncan. I like it! Wifey is adjusting, lol. She actually likes chrome on cars (Who did I marry??) lol. We’ll keep it this way for a while, then hopefully I’ll make it permanent.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Today’s agenda includes replacing the clamp/gasket where the DP mates to the rest of the exhaust. The one part I didn’t have a replacement on hand for when I did the turbo swap, and of course there is an annoying exhaust leak there now. So I will fix that this morning......then I probably better mow my lawn, it’s been getting neglected for the last 2 weeks while I focused on the Mini. Excuses are almost gone, lol. Cheers everyone!

Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 AM
snwmble
3rd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
I gave her a much need bath a couple days ago (Zaino polishes), after having the new windshield installed. Polished the exhaust tips too.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Wheeeew! Look at the shine on that thing! Looks great! Dunk needs a really good bath after all the work I’ve been doing. I keep finding more and more smudges from my dirty hands, lol.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
All Done

All done! Exhaust leak fixed! The only issue is that it was a loud leak.....more so than I thought.....which means that fixing this REALLY quieted the car down! The leak was definitely annoying and sounded like crap, but it did have a certain volume and tone to it, ha ha....
So now I have a new project! Looks like we’re gonna need to get under there again with a sawz-all this time and delete the secondary cat and probably the resonator from the exhaust.
It still sounds pretty nice with the catless DP, and the pops and burbles sound great, they are much more pronounced and noticeable, but it’s just a little quiet now....the only concern would be droning at highway speeds, that’s why I’m not sure about taking off the resonator too.
I know a few of you are running catless and am looking for some experience on the sound (drone) of doing just one or both?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:23 PM
PureWorks
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
WOW!! Looks great...did you plastidip the door handles too? Curious how that will hold up...looks sharp!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:01 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PureWorks
WOW!! Looks great...did you plastidip the door handles too? Curious how that will hold up...looks sharp!
I did......and not very well, lol.
Even being careful it is starting to wear and peel a bit on the inside edges on the drivers door already. I will probably peel it off of the handles in a few days.... maybe I’ll use a wrap or those plastic covers.....or leave ‘em chrome. but I just can’t bring myself to sand on them to paint them permanently just yet.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:18 AM
edwardjpalmer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so, yesterday I finished the blackout on Duncan. I like it! Wifey is adjusting, lol. She actually likes chrome on cars (Who did I marry??) lol. We’ll keep it this way for a while, then hopefully I’ll make it permanent.

Who knew you could do so much with plastidip... Looks great MrGrumpy!!

Old 07-04-2018, 06:25 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by edwardjpalmer
Who knew you could do so much with plastidip... Looks great MrGrumpy!!
Thanks, I was intrigued by it because of the fact that you can remove it relatively easily. I fully did not expect very great results. Mostly a test to make sure that the Grumpy Wifey would like it, since my son and I were already talking about it for months. The door handles were probably not the wisest things to plasti-dip, lol. Too much wear for that, it is wanting to peel already. But I’m very happy with the way the belt line and grill chrome, wheels and especially with the way the beauty rings around the lights turned out.. It worked really good and seems like it will be durable.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:22 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I plastidipped my headlight/taillight trim and the main back logo/handle last year (so it's even gone through a winter with snow) and it's been holding up really well! Would be perfect, but when I had the car in for repairs after my accident, there are a couple spots I need to redo, just from them taking off the trim...

Old 07-04-2018, 07:10 PM
one73ronin
3rd Gear
me too

i love plasti dip. did my while r53 once or twice. i went with white on all the trim pieces with the countryman...

Old 07-04-2018, 07:10 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iceknyght
I plastidipped my headlight/taillight trim and the main back logo/handle last year (so it's even gone through a winter with snow) and it's been holding up really well! Would be perfect, but when I had the car in for repairs after my accident, there are a couple spots I need to redo, just from them taking off the trim...
At least it’s pretty easy to fix something like that, even if you need to peel it and redo it, it’s a heck of a lot easier than paint! There are a few spots, like the door handles, where I just don’t think it will work very well. But the beauty rings are a fantastic place to use it. I’m pretty happy with the wheels too, but if it starts to look crappy I’ll probably paint them. I need to redo the rear logo as well. I tried to get cute...plasti-dip does not take to taping small areas like paint. I made tried to make it cool and it just looks bad. My fault for not just coating the whole thing.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:11 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by one73ronin
i love plasti dip. did my while r53 once or twice. i went with white on all the trim pieces with the countryman...

That looks great! Nice touch doing the brake ducts! Looks sharp

Old 07-05-2018, 09:11 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by one73ronin

Love the white!

At least it’s pretty easy to fix something like that, even if you need to peel it and redo it, it’s a heck of a lot easier than paint! There are a few spots, like the door handles, where I just don’t think it will work very well. But the beauty rings are a fantastic place to use it. I’m pretty happy with the wheels too, but if it starts to look crappy I’ll probably paint them. I need to redo the rear logo as well. I tried to get cute...plasti-dip does not take to taping small areas like paint. I made tried to make it cool and it just looks bad. My fault for not just coating the whole thing.
For sure! I love plastidip for its ease of use! Here's a pic of my back logo. Basically, I dipped the outer chrome part but left the inner circle alone... I like how it turned out!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:28 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iceknyght
For sure! I love plastidip for its ease of use! Here's a pic of my back logo. Basically, I dipped the outer chrome part but left the inner circle alone... I like how it turned out!

That is exactly how I should have done mine! But I tried to tape off the recessed lines on the wings, so that it would look kind of striped if you know what mean. Taping off areas like that works fine with paint, but with plasti-dip.....not so much, lol. Needless to say, it peeled when I tried to take the tape off. who would have guessed? I know one person... heh heh.....oops!

Quick Reply: R60 What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?