R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Clear turn signal option

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Clear turn signal option

Just ordered a Countryman S today and only have a couple of days to make any changes. Here is my issue...

There is a $100 option for clear (they call it "white") signal lenses which I absolutely want. I'm not talking about the ones on the side of the car, I'm talking about the round ones in the headlight assembly. I looked at every Countryman on the lot and every S model (regardless of it had xenon or not) had the clear lenses. My MA even looked up the order on two S models that DID NOT have that option and yet they still had the clear lenses (with orange bulbs) in the lights. So we are fairly certain that all S models come with the clear lenses and the $100 option was probably intended for the non-S models.

With that being said, I'd like to be absolutely certain because if I try to save $100 and the car shows up with orange lenses I'll be somewhere between furious and blind rage.

On the MINI website build program it clearly shows orange lenses on the S-model and when you click the clear lens you can see it change. So my question is... does everyone with an S have clear lenses (in the headlight assembly) even if they didn't order the clear lens option? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by MotoGreg; 03-16-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MotoGreg
Just ordered a Countryman S today and only have a couple of days to make any changes. Here is my issue...

There is a $100 option for clear signal lenses which I absolutely want. I'm not talking about the ones on the side of the car, I'm talking about the round ones in the headlight assembly. I looked at every Countryman on the lot and every S model had the clear lenses. My MA even looked up the order on two S models that DID NOT have that option and yet they still had the clear lenses in the lights. So we are fairly certain that all S models come with the clear lenses and the $100 option was probably intended for the non-S models.

With that being said, I'd like to be absolutely certain because if I try to save $100 and the car shows up with orange lenses I'll be somewhere between furious and blind rage.

On the MINI website build program it clearly shows orange lenses on the S-model and when you click the clear lens you can see it change. So my question is... does everyone with an S have clear lenses (in the headlight assembly) even if they didn't order the clear lens option? Thanks for your help!
I have an 2012 S with the yellow turn signals. They were standard. Could it be the Xenons do NOT? I have the regular non-Xenon headlamps.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:32 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
It had something to do with the Xenons that does away with the amber cover. Go on MINI usa's web site and build one. It pops up with something about the clear lenses when you add xenons. (I believe)

Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
When you say "yellow turn signals"... can you be more specific? Is it a clear plastic lens with an orange bulb behind it? Or is the round (about 2" diameter) plastic lens actually orange?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
I just went and tried to build one on the MINI site. If you order xenon's you HAVE to get clear blinkers for the extra $100 on top of the $500! (clear lens with amber bulb)! Or you can add them for the $100 to the normal headlights.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Ya, I see that. But here is my point... every single Countryman S that I have looked at either in person or online has clear lenses with orange bulbs.... even if they didn't order the "white lens" option. So I'm 99% certain that the white lens option was intended for the non-S and in reality all S models already come that way... so therefore paying for the $100 option is the same as throwing the money in the trash. From my research I do not believe there is any such thing as an S model with the orange plastic lenses like in the 2nd photo below.

Here is the clear lens with orange bulb...

And here is the orange lens that I believe only comes on the non-S despite what the configurator claims...

If anyone has an S with orange lenses like in the 2nd photo could you please let me know?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
Im not sure!? When you build one ("S" or "S All4") there is an option to add the white blinkers. I would think if it came standard it would not be an option to "click"!?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
That's my whole point! I think the option was intended to be for the non-S only but somehow also got added to the S configurator (and all4) as well by error. And like I said in my initial post, the research my salesperson and I did seems to confirm that.

By posting this I'm trying to get actual real world feedback about what is actually on people's real cars, not what is portrayed on the website (configurator).

All I'm trying to determine is this: Is there anyone, even one single car, in the entire USA with an S model (or all4) that has the flat orange plastic disc lenses (shown in my 2nd photo) like the base model comes with? Mini claims they (orange lenses) come stock unless you pay them an additional $100 for the white (clear) type but it's looking like that is a lie. I believe that the semi-spherical clear lens with orange bulb come standard on the S and all4... can someone show me a car that proves me wrong?

Also: Before anyone points out that pic 1 is xenon and pic 2 is not... that doesn't seem to matter, I haven't seen an S or all4 with the orange lenses on either xenon or non-xenon. Here's non xenon and it still has the clear lens...

Last edited by MotoGreg; 03-16-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
I ordered an "s" and had to pay the extra $100. for the non egg yolk bulbs. It wasn't standard.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
I ordered an "s" and had to pay the extra $100. for the non egg yolk bulbs. It wasn't standard.
Thank you for the reply, however, I think you're missing the point. MINI claims it "isn't standard" yet when you don't pay the $100 you still get the clear lenses.

I challenge anybody to show me an S or all4 with the orange lenses like the base model. I don't think it exists. I believe it was an error and a lot of people paid $100 for nothing.

Also, just to be clear... you said "non egg yolk bulbs" and I want to clarify we're on the same page. I'm talking about the plastic lenses, not the light bulb behind the lens. The only way to get the "egg yolk look" is if you have the clear lenses (the egg) with an orange bulb (the yolk). I'm thinking your car has clear lenses and you paid for the bulbs to be changed from orange to the type that look silver when off yet still flash orange.

Last edited by MotoGreg; 03-16-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
Thank you for the reply, however, I think you're missing the point. MINI claims it "isn't standard" yet when you don't pay the $100 you still get the clear lenses.

I challenge anybody to show me an S or all4 with the orange lenses like the base type. I don't think it exists. I believe it was an error and a lot of people paid $100 for nothing.

Also, just to be clear... you said "non egg yolk bulbs" and I want to clarify we're on the same page. I'm talking about the plastic lenses, not the light bulb behind the lens. You can change to orange bulb to the silver type for about $15 to get rid of the "egg yolk look".
My SA told me as I sat in the chair across from him building my car that if I didn't want egg yolks I had to go for that option. I understand perfectly.

If you're so sure of this why the repeated questions and bumping your thread. Don't pay the $100. and see what you get.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
I'm not tying to bump it, just replying to others. And I'm sorry if I come off as rude, that certainly is not my intention. I'm just trying to explain it as there is some confusion.

My SA told me as I sat in the chair across from him building my car that if I didn't want egg yolks I had to go for that option.
I sat at the desk and was told the same thing. Then I said I've done some research and it seems as if Mini is wrong in their information. So my salesperson pulled up the build sheet for two cars that did not pay the $100 for the white lens upgrade... the two cars were right there in the showroom in front of us... and they had the clear lenses. At that point my salesperson agreed that it looks like Mini is mistaken.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Julzie
2nd Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...photos-66.html

Scroll down, there are a couple signature pics and a pic of a 2012 blue Countryman S with the yellow lenses and black lamp housings.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 AM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
I'm not tying to bump it, just replying to others. And I'm sorry if I come off as rude, that certainly is not my intention. I'm just trying to explain it as there is some confusion.

I sat at the desk and was told the same thing. Then I said I've done some research and it seems as if Mini is wrong in their information. So my salesperson pulled up the build sheet for two cars that did not pay the $100 for the white lens upgrade... the two cars were right there in the showroom in front of us... and they had the clear lenses. At that point my salesperson agreed that it looks like Mini is mistaken.
Check out this thread. The first silver "S" came with orange lights which the owner later subbed out. He details the project later on in the same thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ners-club.html

Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Scroll down, there are a couple signature pics and a pic of a 2012 blue Countryman S with the yellow lenses and black lamp housings.
Thank you for the reply. I believe you're referring to the photos posted by "Dain". Those are actually the clear (or white by Mini's terminology) lenses with the orange bulb. I know in the straight on photo they look orange, it's deceptive. But you can tell in the angle view that they're the clear/white type. It's actually very hard to tell by photos taken at a distance but by looking at the car in person (or close up photos like I posted earlier) the two styles are completely different.

I did a search and found another thread where people who ordered the white lenses were mad when their car showed up with "orange" turn signals. They had to replace the orange bulbs to git rid of the egg yolk look. In the USA the law states that turn signals must be orange, so Mini has to either have orange lenses (base model) or clear/white lenses with orange bulbs (S or all4).

Old 03-17-2012, 12:34 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Check out this thread. The first silver "S" came with orange lights which the owner later subbed out. He details the project later on in the same thread:
Thank you for the link beauxgoris, but if you'll notice, his car has the clear lenses and orange bulbs. He states that he changed the bulbs from the orange to silver. Here is where he explains that he changed the bulbs, and you complimented him on the new look... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nal-bulbs.html

The round plastic lenses can not be changed, they are inside the sealed headlamp assembly. Replacing the orange bulbs to get rid of egg yolk is a common thing to do on a lot of cars. I bought a Genesis Coupe a few months ago and it was the first thing I did as soon as I got it home. It's not really so much of a "mod"... it's simply swapping out the orange bulbs with a pair of $15 silver bulbs. There are a few threads on here about that. (they're silver when off but light up orange)

Last edited by MotoGreg; 03-17-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
There is a $100 option for clear (they call it "white") signal lenses which I absolutely want. I'm not talking about the ones on the side of the car, I'm talking about the round ones in the headlight assembly.
What it comes down to is: Are you feeling lucky?

No matter what you see on the lot, if it's an option on the official order sheet and you didn't choose it, they are well within their right to deliver a car with orange lenses. Personally, for peace of mind if I absolutely wanted it, I'd suck up and pay the $100 on a $30,000 car. Otherwise, is it worth stressing out until it's delivered?

Last edited by rkw; 03-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 AM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
Ya, I see that. But here is my point... every single Countryman S that I have looked at either in person or online has clear lenses with orange bulbs.... even if they didn't order the "white lens" option. So I'm 99% certain that the white lens option was intended for the non-S and in reality all S models already come that way... so therefore paying for the $100 option is the same as throwing the money in the trash. From my research I do not believe there is any such thing as an S model with the orange plastic lenses like in the 2nd photo below.

Here is the clear lens with orange bulb...

And here is the orange lens that I believe only comes on the non-S despite what the configurator claims...

If anyone has an S with orange lenses like in the 2nd photo could you please let me know?
My "S" came with the orange lens cover. My order was already in production for the dealer though so I didn't spec the headlamps.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by tybeegirl
My "S" came with the orange lens cover. My order was already in production for the dealer though so I didn't spec the headlamps.
That looks like a clear lens with an orange bulb behind it to me. Are you sure the lens is orange?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like you might be right and MINI found another way to take money from those of us who checked the box.

These don't seem to list the option yet the picture shows clear. Instead of getting angry with us, call dealers and find out??

http://www.eastbaymini.com/VehicleDe...-CA/1680065173

http://www.miniofconcord.com/Vehicle...-CA/1535582853

http://www.miniofconcord.com/Vehicle...-CA/1418021153

http://www.miniofconcord.com/Vehicle...-CA/1373119643

Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 AM
DR61
5th Gear
My car, Jan. 2012 build CMSA4, was not ordered with clear turn signals, but I did order Xenons. The turn signal external covers are clear. The bulbs are amber (by law). They look clear from the sides, but from directly in front the amber bulb reflecting on the lens makes them appear somewhat amber.

The official window sticker states "Clear Turn Signals" at NO COST.

Last edited by DR61; 03-17-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: wrong word used
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
tybeegirl - Take a closer look at your photo. The driver's side is clear and you can barely see the orange bulb behind the round lens. You have the clear/white type that Mini charges $100 for.

FredoinSF - I doubt it was an intentional attempt by Mini. I think it's legitimate update for the base model that comes standard with orange lenses. And somehow the option mistakenly got added to the S & all4 build configurator even though they come standard with the clear type.

Instead of getting angry with us, call dealers and find out??
I'm not sure what you mean by "getting angry with us". Are you talking to me? I'm not angry, not sure why you'd think that. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. I ordered the car for my wife yesterday and the salesperson said I have a couple days to make changes before it's set in stone. I'm not angry at anyone and appreciate the help everyone has provided.

Unfortunately, calling the dealer for info doesn't help because they only know what their literature and computer tell them. As I posted earlier, my salesperson helped me to uncover the truth, before that she believed what her computer told her.

DR61 - Thank you for posting. Your story backs up my claim. I just did the configurator on your all4. When you click xenon headlights for $500 a box pops up and states that you must also purchase the white signals for an additional $100. Yet you didn't pay for them and you got them anyway

Last edited by MotoGreg; 03-17-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 AM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
Confused. I have Xenons with the clear lens cover and amber bulb just like everyone else. I also paid for the white turn signal option, but that only appears to affect the side scuttle cover. Isn't it the case that if you order the $100 option it will change your side scuttle (and nothing else?).

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Confused. I have Xenons with the clear lens cover and amber bulb just like everyone else. I also paid for the white turn signal option, but that only appears to affect the side scuttle cover. Isn't it the case that if you order the $100 option it will change your side scuttle (and nothing else?).
The side scuttle (along with the turn signal lens in question) are both orange on the base model. They are clear on the S & all4.

If you buy the $100 option on a base model I would imagine that both the turn signal and side scuttle are changed to the clear types like the S has standard.

I know it may seem silly to waste all this time when it's only $100 in question, but it's a rainy day and I've got nothing else to do so I was just trying to solve the mystery of the disappearing $100. My dealer had about a 10 Countrymans in stock yesterday and I checked them all, some of them didn't have the clear lens option on the window sticker or on the dealer's invoice sheet... but those cars sat there right there in front of us with the clear lenses. I hope people don't think I'm arguing, or mad, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this since it seems to have gone uncaught so far, probably because it's only $100... if it was an expensive mistake someone probably would have caught it earlier.

Last edited by MotoGreg; 03-17-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tatacountry
Well, I had some long discussions with my MA when the clear lens option was required with my adaptive xenons, and we walked around the dealership to view what the different lenses looked like. There was no confusion about side scuttles - it was the lens in the headlamp assembly that was at issue. I paid for the (required) option and got the clear lens.

Quick Reply: R60 Clear turn signal option