R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 usb/bluetooth features?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usb/bluetooth features?

Howdy. I am still waiting for my CM to arrive and have already started ordering aftermarket parts. I ordered the craven speed iPhone mount for the car and this has raised some questions for me. I was hoping you guys might be able to shed some light on since I have not found a whole lot of info about this.

1. Does the usb/ipod bluetooth option support bluetooth music streaming? (non-mini connected)

2. Will the voice guidance from my phone based navigation(Garmin) played over the speakers if it is connected via bluetooth? My MA told me that he was not sure if it would do that but that it did play the text message sound over the speakers when he got a new text message.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
drmsmiller
1st Gear
No, the blue tooth, without connected, will not do either of those. Mine doesn't play text message notification either. It does phone ring, but generic, not your own ringtone.

Last edited by drmsmiller; 10-10-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Locust
3rd Gear
1. Does the usb/ipod bluetooth option support bluetooth music streaming? (non-mini connected)
Yes, I can play streaming audio from my iPhone via the Mini USB/Audio cable. Mine is non-mini connected but I can use the Mini Connected App on my iPhone and play streaming network radio over the car's sound system.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
Right. But that is through the cable being connected and not through Bluetooth correct?

Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 AM
coldnorth
1st Gear
At first I was disappointed that you couldn't stream music via bluetooth but I have found that the USB port is really more convenient than streaming Bluetooth. I put all my music on a tiny usb stick. This stays in the car all the time. The controls on the radio work well for the port. Our other car streams via Bluetooth but does not have a USB port and I prefer having the port. It's easier.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
I was thinking about this as well instead of leaving an iPod connected all the time. Do you know of a way to make playlists for the mp3s that you have on the stick?
Originally Posted by coldnorth
At first I was disappointed that you couldn't stream music via bluetooth but I have found that the USB port is really more convenient than streaming Bluetooth. I put all my music on a tiny usb stick. This stays in the car all the time. The controls on the radio work well for the port. Our other car streams via Bluetooth but does not have a USB port and I prefer having the port. It's easier.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The radio control has a list option. It is NOT covered in the radio manual and I haven't figured out how to populate it yet.

Bill

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM
BigPanda
1st Gear
Apologies to bumping an old thread, but I'm trying to get a better idea of the functionality of the Bluetooth/USB option without connected.

1) Is there any additional functionality for iPhones? I'm thinking about switching to android, but in-car music is a big deal. I listen to Spotify/Pandora/iPod non-stop in my current vehicle. Does Siri help from a hands-free perspective?

2)what are the limitations with regards to Bluetooth vs. the actual cable? I'm assuming it also charges most phones via this usb cable.

3) I've seen a lot of complaining about the length of the cable, couldn't one find a longer cable? is it a proprietary design to Mini?

Thanks-

Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BigPanda
Apologies to bumping an old thread, but I'm trying to get a better idea of the functionality of the Bluetooth/USB option without connected.

1) Is there any additional functionality for iPhones? I'm thinking about switching to android, but in-car music is a big deal. I listen to Spotify/Pandora/iPod non-stop in my current vehicle. Does Siri help from a hands-free perspective?

2)what are the limitations with regards to Bluetooth vs. the actual cable? I'm assuming it also charges most phones via this usb cable.

3) I've seen a lot of complaining about the length of the cable, couldn't one find a longer cable? is it a proprietary design to Mini?

Thanks-
1. With the Y-Cable will charge the phone, you can have full access to streaming music (pandora, etc), GPS nav guidance over speakers. If you have SIRI it can read/send txt messages, make calls etc. If you happen to have iOS6 (I had the beta till I rolled back for stability) SIRI will also do nav for you as well. You will also have access to ALL music on your phone. Not sure how this differs from Android but VERY pleased with my iPhone 4s, basic H/K w/Bluetooth and y-cable setup. (no Mini connect or nav).

2. If I'm not mistaken Bluetooth is only for the phone functions.

3. You can get a dock extender that will work with the supplied y-cable. If you are just tossing your phone in the rail it's fine but if you want to really mount it anywhere else the cable is extremely short and will not reach many places other then around the rail.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
nitty
1st Gear
Phone functions will come through bluetooth. For GPS turn-by-turn directions, I've only tried the Waze app, and that audio also comes through bluetooth. I guess it's treated like an incoming phone call.

For music - I never tried bluetooth, preferring the Y-cable. I have this notion that bluetooth won't sound as good as a direct connection.

Siri's voice comes through bluetooth.

The Y-cable charges the iPhone.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM
BigPanda
1st Gear
awesome! Thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nitty
Phone functions will come through bluetooth. For GPS turn-by-turn directions, I've only tried the Waze app, and that audio also comes through bluetooth. I guess it's treated like an incoming phone call.

For music - I never tried bluetooth, preferring the Y-cable. I have this notion that bluetooth won't sound as good as a direct connection.

Siri's voice comes through bluetooth.

The Y-cable charges the iPhone.

That's awesome to know that Waze works over BT. I've only used various GPS apps while listening to music or podcasts (I never really listen to radio/sat ever) but cool to know that I can still get nav over BT. I'll have to try that out tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
drmsmiller
1st Gear
I just tried the Waze Android app and it did not work over Bluetooth for me. (plain BT not mini connected)

Myra

Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM
spirit bear
1st Gear
If you get mini connected without NAV, does it include full hands free blue tooth? On miniusa, sometimes my configurator will let me add both options, but if I add NAV the bluetooth option cannot be selected as though it is included.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
razz
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spirit bear
If you get mini connected without NAV, does it include full hands free blue tooth? On miniusa, sometimes my configurator will let me add both options, but if I add NAV the bluetooth option cannot be selected as though it is included.
Yes. Ignore the configurator. Connected already includes Bluetooth.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM
nitty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by drmsmiller
I just tried the Waze Android app and it did not work over Bluetooth for me. (plain BT not mini connected)

Myra
I'm not familiar with the android version, but if it's like the iphone version there are selectable settings for sound. Choose "Prefer Bluetooth."

Old 08-23-2012, 06:08 PM
czar4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by razz
Yes. Ignore the configurator. Connected already includes Bluetooth.
That's really frustrating! I just ordered mine on Wednesday, and I asked the same question when the dealer built the car with me. He told me that in order to get Connected, I had to also order Bluetooth. So for $1500, it didn't seem worth it to me. But since I would've ordered Bluetooth anyway, for only $500 more, I definitely would've gone with Connected.

Hmmm wondering if its worth calling in the morning.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Flamewinger
2nd Gear
I use Waze on my iPhone and it DOES have the capability to voice over the radio and I hear any and all warnings and anything else through my radio. There is a setting in Waze to do this. Works great.

I have yet to see if the TomTom app does the same thing. Haven't tried anything else (yet).

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Kleiner
1st Gear
I'm still confused...

Can I play Streaming Radio apps (TuneIn, Pandora) over my non-Mini Connected Bluetooth connection?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
chini
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No. You must connect your device via the Y cable to get audio from these apps if you don't have MINI Connected. You can get another third party BT device that plugs into the audio jack and supports BT audio streaming.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Kleiner
1st Gear
Can you use Siri on an iPhone with the steering wheel talk button with the y cable?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
chini
3rd Gear
You cannot activate Siri with the steering wheel controls in my 2012 CMS, even with Y cable connected. Siri does pick up your voice thru the vehicle mic, and you can hear her respond thru the car speakers. But, you do have to activate her from the iPhone home button.

Last edited by chini; 01-13-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Kleiner
1st Gear
What do the steering wheel buttons do then? Also, what functions DO I get from bluetooth?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM
chini
3rd Gear
You can receive calls and you can use the built-in MINI voice commands to make calls, either to dial by number or dial using a stored name that you have saved. Head on over to http://www.mini.com/connectivity/ You can check the compatibility of your device and what functions are available. I don't see my iPhone 5 addresses on my MINI display. MINI.com says "If phonebook is incomplete, it is recommended to turn off cloud services and re-pair the device". I'm using iCloud, so that may be my problem. It's pretty bare bones stuff with the non MINI connected unit. Kinda wish I'd got MINI Connected, Xenons, and climate control. The bluetooth, non MINI Connected manual is available as well: http://www.miniusa.com/howto/?section=bluetooth

Last edited by chini; 01-13-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Kleiner
1st Gear
Which Mini Connected functions do you wish you had?

Quick Reply: R60 usb/bluetooth features?