R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Thinking of switching from Cooper S to CM S

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 AM
captsprocket
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread of conversations all! I haven't driven the CM yet so I can't make any comparisons to the handling vs the MCS. One thing I don't like about the MCS is the torque steer that several of you have mentioned. Is that enough to "steer" me away from the MCS? No!

PatM, I too have never had anyone in the back of my R56. I do, from time to time, put my two Golden Retrievers in the back for a ride, but the seats are down. That would not be able to happen in the Coupe but would in the CM. I would question the headroom and vision out of the Coupe (I'm 6 feet tall and had trouble seeing the traffic lights when I had my Miata).

Pros to keeping my MCS: Nothing else is available in Mellow Yellow (love the color!) Payments done in 2 years! Moon roof not available on the Coupe, but is on the CM.
Cons to keeping my MCS: Torque steer (minor, but would Coupe have it as well?), Siruis/XM and HD radio standard on CM and Coupe, newer model with new warranty.

I would keep my MCS over the CM but am definitely interested in seeing the Coupe as a possible upgrade. Bottom line, at the end of the day, I will be a happy man as I will still be driving a Mini and there ain't nothing better IMO!!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by captsprocket
PatM, I too have never had anyone in the back of my R56. I do, from time to time, put my two Golden Retrievers in the back for a ride, but the seats are down. That would not be able to happen in the Coupe but would in the CM. I would question the headroom and vision out of the Coupe (I'm 6 feet tall and had trouble seeing the traffic lights when I had my Miata).

Pros to keeping my MCS: Nothing else is available in Mellow Yellow (love the color!) Payments done in 2 years! Moon roof not available on the Coupe, but is on the CM.
Cons to keeping my MCS: Torque steer (minor, but would Coupe have it as well?), Siruis/XM and HD radio standard on CM and Coupe, newer model with new warranty.
I keep my 60lb dog in the rear seat (seats up) and could easily fit a second if I wanted (I did that for a brief two months). One of the main reasons the Coupe is not an option. The CM would work quite well with the rear bench seat and a cover for holding dog(s). The MCS is a little short lenthwise, so he tends to poke his head in between the seats...

I am 5ft11in and fit with lots of headroom in the Coupe. 6ft should not be an issue. I rarely have any issue with seeing traffic lights in my Cooper. Not sure if it's my seating position setup or the traffic lights in Canada.

As for torque steer, MINI implemented new software to mostly eliminate it on the hatch and Coupe. It worked well when I drove it. I've read it can deaden the steering feel under WOT but I can't say I have enough experience in a 2011/2012 model to say it's an issue.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
I would never tell someone not to buy the CM. It has it's market and purpose and I'm sure it does it's intended purpose well.
Same here - not trying to tell someone not to buy or spend their money how they want. If I had that kind of control there would be no Pontiac Azteks on the road

Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by walk0080
If I had that kind of control there would be no Pontiac Azteks on the road
How dare you even mention that monstrosity???

Old 08-29-2011, 12:56 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say that was about the ugliest vehicle ever to roll on earth. Figures it had to come from GM. LOL

Old 08-29-2011, 01:10 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wandrur
How dare you even mention that monstrosity???

I had one as a rental for a week. While not great looking, it was comfortable and offered great utility.

Michael

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
I have two Golden Retrievers at 63 and 62 pounds, and they have a ton of room with the seats down. I have the flat-load floor, not the bench. When we went on vacation, I pushed the two back seats forwards until they touched the front seats, put the back seat-backs vertical, put a pillow across the rear rail, and put down my patented shower curtain/big towel combo over it all.

With the flat-load floor down over the boot, I was able to cram the boot full of shoes and kayak equipment and then put a positively enormous amount of stuff behind the seats (since they were pulled forward and set vertical). Two big duffles of clothes, one huge duffle of summer lake stuff, camera bag, two backpacks full of dog stuff and camping stuff, four shopping bags of food, and some other vacationey stuff all fit back there.

The dogs had just enough space, and they were comfy, since they like to lean on the vertical surface instead of a reclined seat, and they don't use the footwells.

So for me, the CM is just big enough for vacation while retaining enough of the MINI handling, styling and spirit to really make me feel happy. If I didn't need the ALL4 for winter and the extra space for adventuring with dogs and the kayak, I'd take a 2012 MCS in a heartbeat. If I could have a big 4WD clunker for winter and vacation and a commuting/leisure driving car, I'd probably have a MINI Cabrio or Coupe. But since two cars isn't practical, the CM is perfect.