R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM
BobbyFray
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?

I have not yet received my new CM, but am interested in bicycle hauling options.

In the MINI CM brochure, there is a picture of the rear mounting system. However, it seems a little cumbersome to quickly install and remove. The two round covers in the bumper would have to be reinstalled each time the rack is removed (unless one doesn't mind the two round holes exposed). Tail lights have to be connected. Also, I'm not sure if this rack impacts the functioning of the Rear Park Distance Control.

Apparently there is also a Bicycle Lift ($299.00 82 72 0 142 733) that works with the Roof Rack Base Support System ($247.95 82 71 2 148 014). The combined cost of both these is probably about the same as the rear mounting system.

Sharing of any experience with or thoughts about either of these two systems would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone would love to hear some discussion on this - input welcome!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be installing my Thule T2 rack on the back. The folks at MiniFini.com are developing a sport link and attachment base for the Countryman. They also have a 2" receiver attachment listed on their site, which is what I need for my rack. This was the deciding factor in getting a Countryman - no Thule rack, no deal. Yeah, it will be expensive, but I won't use anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MiniLink.../0/_CVHqMKBQe8

http://www.minifini.com

Originally Posted by BobbyFray
I have not yet received my new CM, but am interested in bicycle hauling options.

In the MINI CM brochure, there is a picture of the rear mounting system. However, it seems a little cumbersome to quickly install and remove. The two round covers in the bumper would have to be reinstalled each time the rack is removed (unless one doesn't mind the two round holes exposed). Tail lights have to be connected. Also, I'm not sure if this rack impacts the functioning of the Rear Park Distance Control.

Apparently there is also a Bicycle Lift ($299.00 82 72 0 142 733) that works with the Roof Rack Base Support System ($247.95 82 71 2 148 014). The combined cost of both these is probably about the same as the rear mounting system.

Sharing of any experience with or thoughts about either of these two systems would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
days-like-this
4th Gear
Nice timing! I'm interested as well...

Mini just posted a video on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3kkyEGJ2s It's towards the end. I believe this rack is $606

Also, a couple people are waiting on a sport link option created by Mini Fini. It is being tested now and will allow various options.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 PM
days-like-this
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
I will be installing my Thule T2 rack on the back. The folks at MiniFini.com are developing a sport link and attachment base for the Countryman. They also have a 2" receiver attachment listed on their site, which is what I need for my rack. This was the deciding factor in getting a Countryman - no Thule rack, no deal. Yeah, it will be expensive, but I won't use anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MiniLink.../0/_CVHqMKBQe8

http://www.minifini.com
Is the 2" receiver attachment available now? (EDIT: I see it is simply an attachment to the sportlink system) I was under the impression all Countryman items were still being tested. Sounds great though, and perfect for what I was looking at as well! Thanks for posting that vid.

Last edited by days-like-this; 03-16-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: sportlink!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM
BobbyFray
1st Gear
Thanks for the links. These are interesting!

I'm not familiar with the MiniFini.com sport link. Do the two round pipes remain exposed when the rack is not attached? If so, does this look okay?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 PM
days-like-this
4th Gear
Here's another bike rack thread, check out post #24

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tachments.html

And here are caps for the minifini sport link system, so I'm guessing they stay in place: http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=24

Last edited by days-like-this; 03-16-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: another link
Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyFray
I'm not familiar with the MiniFini.com sport link. Do the two round pipes remain exposed when the rack is not attached? If so, does this look okay?
"Once the Sport-Link™ attachment is on your car, you won’t see it! Only the cool stainless steel ports show."

My guess is that for the Countryman, MINI-FINI will make Sport-Link attachment that screws into the factory hitch mounts.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 PM
tsloan
Neutral
I just spoke with my MA about the bicycle lift vs. rear carrier. According the parts guy and the MA @ the MINI dealership in Denver, the rear carrier is a much better (but much pricier) option. They point out that the bicycle lift is approximately 4 feet tall....which makes for considerable wind drag and significantly added height clearance for the Countryman (an already much taller vehicle than a hardtop). Also, the parts guy was not impressed with the build quality of the bicycle lift...for what it's worth....this was what I was told.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 PM
docfink
2nd Gear
I'm constantly transporting bikes. I got the MINI crossbars and attached Yakima Forklifts to them. I put the front wheels in the rear and this setup works great for mounting one or two road or mtn bikes.

There is wind noise with the Forklifts installed, but it's worth it to me as the setup and use is so convenient.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 PM
vonmark
1st Gear
Smile Rear Mount Bike Rack

I just picked up my Countryman and the rear mount bike rack on Thursday. Mounting it and tighening the allen bolts are a bit of a pain for one person. Over all I really like it and it holds the bike securely. I do like that the rack has built in locks on it. I also noticed my bike with the 29er wheels is wider than the Countryman

Attached Thumbnails Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?-rack.jpg   Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?-bike.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by vonmark
I just picked up my Countryman and the rear mount bike rack on Thursday. Mounting it and tighening the allen bolts are a bit of a pain for one person. Over all I really like it and it holds the bike securely. I do like that the rack has built in locks on it. I also noticed my bike with the 29er wheels is wider than the Countryman
Very cool. Do you have a pic of the rack with bike attached but moved out of the way for boot access?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
BobbyFray
1st Gear
Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it! A couple of quick questions:
  1. Does this seem awkward to quickly install and remove? I don't plan on leaving it on, perhaps just using it one day a week.
  2. Does the rack interfere with operation of the back up sensors (I couldn't tell whether or not you have these)?
  3. It it easy to remove and reinstall the round caps on the bumper? Do you think that these will become loose after repeated removals and installations?
Thanks again for responding. The rear rack seems like a better option than the roof setup if not too difficult to deal with!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me know what that does to your gas mileage. I have a 29er and on the rear rack the tires also stick out beyond the sides of my Nissan rogue. It's a narrow car as well I don't think it's any wider than the CM.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Mini Do More has just released the patent pending 2011 Mini Cooper Countryman trailer receiver hitch. It mounts concealed behind the rear bumper and uses a hole cut in the bumper behind the license plate to access the trailer hitch. $295 shipped and can accept any 1 1/4" bike carrier or cargo carrier.

Attached Thumbnails Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?-img_1544.jpg   Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?-opening-photo.jpg   Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?-img_1543.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Thanks for the pics! Looks like they simplified it compared to the European edition -- no more lights for one thing.

Do I hazard to ask what the damage to your bank account was for the MINI-proper rack...?

Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
vonmark
1st Gear
As requested I attached some photos of the rack slid back to allow the hatch to open. I did have to move my handle bar an inch to get the hatch open. A Road bike would not have had the issue. Very easy to slide down and slide back in place.

I dont have back up sensors so I dont kow if it posses an issue.
It takes me about 5 minutes to install by myself.
The round bumper caps remove an install easily. Not sure how well they will hold in the future.
I got a decent deal on a overpriced rack. $500.00 on the day I picked up my CM. I had to pay MSRP for the car but the knocked a good portion off my accesories and custom paint I had done.
I actually was dissapointed that the US version did not have the brake lights. I thought it was a cool feature. Other than that they look exactly the same.

Attached Thumbnails Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?-mini-hatch.jpg   Bicycle Roof Lift vs. Rear Bumper Bicycle Rack?-mini-hatch-2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Brent@minidomore.com
Mini Do More has just released the patent pending 2011 Mini Cooper Countryman trailer receiver hitch. It mounts concealed behind the rear bumper and uses a hole cut in the bumper behind the license plate to access the trailer hitch. $295 shipped and can accept any 1 1/4" bike carrier or cargo carrier.
Quick question: How easy is it to access the hitch pin when it's completely hidden behind the bumper cover? How about hitch locks, especially ones that use tools or keys?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
As requested I attached some photos of the rack slid back to allow the hatch to open. I did have to move my handle bar an inch to get the hatch open. A Road bike would not have had the issue. Very easy to slide down and slide back in place.
Oh ok, so the silver part of the rack tilts down? Gotcha. Thanks for the pics!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:01 PM
manuelpl
1st Gear
Does anyone know if I can use the older bike racks on the countryman's new base ?